• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root power drain issue

mikemike1234

Android Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2012
for those that have fallowed me on the taco rooting isse you well see that i have pobs with my evo and ever thing eles in between.

this issue is a bit troubleing

the issues is that sent rerooting the replacemetnt evo4g using the htcdev / capt. threwback meth i have got a power dreain i can not fig out were it si coming from

this si what ihave done sent i have rerooted the phone

rom mike3.11

kernal anthrax 2.6.3.8

app setcpu this app is running on smartass and deadline with numbers at 998 and 245

i have killed pretty much everthing on startup by using app androed asst.

i have nothing running in back ground that i am aware of.

no wifi or blue tooth or gps is on

anthing that is or well being using power i turn off

apps are up to date as well as the firmware the prl and the profile

now for the issue i well have it at a full 100percent charge if itake it off and let say use that web or internet browesr on it for like let say five mines i well lose at least 10 percent and the longet i stay on it the faster the drain

for example as well i took of the chager this morning 100percent power put it down for 30mons ot a hour didnt touch it and i looked at it it was on 89percent power

so i am at a lost

and i dont want ot take this phone back to sprint just for me to go back threw the hole proccess of them telling me that i have to unroot my phoen or what ever they hav eto do just for them to run there test like they did this last time for thows that have fallowed my other thread on not getting a sig and ever thing eles

and i would think that it would not be the battary seeing how sprint gave me a preplacement phone and it was refurbished or what ever you want ot call it that they wouldnt give me a back batt after all that

yeah give it a few days before deciding if the kernel you have is not working right for you like mikey says. also keep in mind that kernels behave differently on different phones. so you might need to change kernels possibly.

edit: and whatever you do DO NOT USE ANY TASK MANAGER TO KILL ANY ANDROID PROCESSES RUNNING. they do more harm then anything. what app are you using again?

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
well as far as the kernel is i have had in for at least a week or 2

not realy using a s task manager

i have put this phoen back to the ay i had it before like my org i had befor sprint mad me trade it in

this si what ihave done sent i have rerooted the phone

rom mike3.11

kernal anthrax 2.6.3.8

app setcpu this app is running on smartass and deadline with numbers at 998 and 245

i have killed pretty much everthing on startup by using app android asstistant

i have nothing running in back ground that i am aware of.

no wifi or blue tooth or gps is on

anthing that is or well being using power i turn off

apps are up to date as well as the firmware the prl and the profile

aslo i have compard everying to my wife phone cuz i set hers up the same as i set my org phone up and i have double checked every thing in her phone to the new phone i got and every thing is the same

Upvote 0
i never use any kind of task killer (like android assistant which in the end is what it is) or any battery saver apps since i have been on android. to me they seem to do more harm then good.

now what is draining your battery that is hard to say. can you post up a screenshot of your battery history? it should give you a breakdown on what is running and what is using up your battery. where you work, does it get a good signal? in and out 3g signal or cell signal could drain your battery. also maybe try and put a toggle to your mobile data(3g) and toggle your 3g off when not in use.

also give it another day or two and try another kernel. it could be that anthrax is not for you.

Upvote 0
would or could there be a reason that the anthrax is nto working on this phone evern thow the rom and over thing i had i put back excactly the same asa befor the phoen swtich was made

from what i can tell as of right now my pwer is using by dispaly is at 78percent

cell standby is at 7percent

phone idel 5percent

internet is at 2 percent

android sysem is 2 percent

i do notice thow that when i use the internet at work on it it eats it realy badly as i have posted in my first post on this issue

at work it dose very depend on were ia m at in building but mostly it si on 3g sent we dont get for get here on teh evo4g org it is only for the lte versions

would or could the set cpu i have it set on be messing it up

as far as what runs i have everything running that belong on the for or belongs to the systm to run

the only thing i kill are on start up are apps like facebook and peeps and other thing like that

Upvote 0
and as iposted in my first post if it is the internet on web browser is whe isee teh most dran it in fact it could be it i have noticed it whn i only go to a sleect few pages that i visit so could it be the web page i am seing drant the cause of the drain

and when i use the inter net i still am in 3g and i have at least 3 bars

Upvote 0
k i understand how ever it is the same rom that i had befor and sam hernel so that was to my question of why it would be doing it now even thow it is same phone i guess you could say there is nothing realy diff

and sent i updated the radio in it as well.

no i dotn realy have a weak sig at work i guess you could say as well.

what about the setcpu should i delet it and se how it works

or should i set it to somthing eles than what i have listed it sitting at

Upvote 0
try underclocking to 124 in setcpu. and no setcpu should be fine, no need to delete it.

ok so lets try this go for an entire day with your setup. and the end of the day, when the battery gets to 10% or so. take a screenshot (i think in mikg3.11, it is power plus home) of your battery stats(settings/power/battery usage) and post it here to see what is going on.

Upvote 0
k how many screen shots should i take because for example if i take it off the charger at 12pm or noon i have ot put it on the charger by 2pm. so not even 2 hours has gone by for me to put it back on charge. and it takes aleast if i leave it alone and dont touch it it takes at lease a few hours to chart so i take it back at like 5pm and i have to put it back on the charger by 7pm so i dont know if that makes sents that is the power used time frams so can i take more than one shot at it

ans should i leave the smartass on the setcpu and what should my max be at

Upvote 0
k should i start out at a max of like 998 or lower than that

now setcpu dose not explan what there govners can do or what they cover what the govnor is capable of doing for each one is there a place or site that icould read about that
ok for more understanding of setcpu check this out:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/210253-setcpu-guide.html

and i have more detailed explainations on governors found in here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/389360-kernels-dummies.html

like my wifes phone setcpu is at 998max and 248min and her set gov is smartass and her other is deadline so hould i start out with thow s are should i try a higher setting or lower then 99fo rmy max

i dont hink she has any probs but you guys are smart then i am so
like i said every phone is different. 998 is fine...you can probably go higher if you want the phone to be faster, but that is up to you.

you can go lower if you want to underclock some to help save battery life. but your phone maybe slow to respond initially. it varys from phone to phone. you will need to just play with the settings and see what you phone likes.....i can't tell you what will be best for you.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
k this first seet is after first charge taken off at 11am

yesterday morning

i gave all shreen shots of menus cuz i didnt know what you realy wanted to see an what you wanted to see bing used

Attachments

• 2013-08-04_12-50-10.jpg
    2013-08-04_12-50-10.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 2013-08-04_12-50-31.jpg
    2013-08-04_12-50-31.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 2013-08-04_12-51-06.jpg
    2013-08-04_12-51-06.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones