• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NightAngel79

Mandalorian
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Northern Ky
So got the blinking red light of death on my ps3. Think the fan quit running:(

can trade it in as is for 90 bucks towards a new one, try to send to sony for repair, OR take apart and try to fix myself. It is only the fan then no biggie, but if MB is fried once i open it sony AND gamestop trade in wont work as they stated once i open it they wont take it back.

Anyone know what sony charges? Any thoughts/opinions/ideas???

Just starting to really get into infamous!!

How old is it?

One of my mates got the ylod on his, 2 years after purchase (and out of manufacturers warranty). He wrote a very strongly worded letter to the retailer, backed up with some research he'd done, stating it was an inherent hardware issue and that particular model wasn't fit for purpose so under the sale of goods act. They wrote back, asking for confirmation from an independent engineer that it was in fact unfit for purpose which he provided. They sent him a replacement. If you like, I'll see if I can dig the letter out for you? This is obviously the UK though so laws may differ in your neck of the woods.

I found this link too. They reckon about $150.00 to repair.

Upvote 0
How old is it?

One of my mates got the ylod on his, 2 years after purchase (and out of manufacturers warranty). He wrote a very strongly worded letter to the retailer, backed up with some research he'd done, stating it was an inherent hardware issue and that particular model wasn't fit for purpose so under the sale of goods act. They wrote back, asking for confirmation from an independent engineer that it was in fact unfit for purpose which he provided. They sent him a replacement. If you like, I'll see if I can dig the letter out for you? This is obviously the UK though so laws may differ in your neck of the woods.

I found this link too. They reckon about $150.00 to repair.

Bought from fiancees brother 8 months ago. Sony site is acting weird for me so i can't even look up where it was purchased from.

Looks like i can still get 85 bucks on trade in which means i can get a 80gig used for another 175 bucks OR a new one for another 230 bucks.

What sucks is if i crack it open and attempt to do anything then gamestop won't take it for trade AND sony wont take it for repair..... Just started getting into infamous and now i'm stuck jonesin, lol

Upvote 0
get an xbox. lol jk there shit.

sony want like $150 for a repair
i would sell it on ebay and just get a new slim line but if its under 1 year u are entitled to a free repair form sony just call them up.

Rather subjective but w/e.

^ what are YOU laughin at!! :p:p

Your hunger to play Infamous but can't since your PS3 shat on you. :p

Upvote 0
Rather subjective but w/e.

Your hunger to play Infamous but can't since your PS3 shat on you. :p

NOT FUNNY!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!
:p:p

And I have a xbox.... into infamous right now though. not trying to send it in OR mess with ebay. seems the fan quit on me, its only 170ish for a used 80 gig from gamestop and 230 for a new 160 with the trade in credit....

Upvote 0
Hating it for ya, man. The whole thing is a catch 22. Have you looked into local repair shops? Sometimes those computer places do that, or sometimes there's just a guy that does that kinda stuff. I'd go into the Gamestop or Best Buy and get the opinions of workers. They're gamers too, and far nerdier than most of us (ok, some of us :p). They usually "know a guy".

Either way, if you can get an 80 gig system for $170 and can sell your current one for $85, that's probably the option that will cost you the least. Or you can find a really naive Apple fanboy and carve a lil "i" in front of Playstation, and tell them it's a special edition joint venture between Sony and Apple. They're used to not being able to multitask.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
NOT FUNNY!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!
:p:p

And I have a xbox.... into infamous right now though. not trying to send it in OR mess with ebay. seems the fan quit on me, its only 170ish for a used 80 gig from gamestop and 230 for a new 160 with the trade in credit....

Oh, I know you do. I had a PS3 but sold it a long time ago. I didn't play it so it wasn't worth just sitting there idle. I figured someone else might put it to better use than I would.

Might as well get a fresh one. I'm not a fan of used products so I guess my opinion is a bit biased.

Upvote 0
Oh, I know you do. I had a PS3 but sold it a long time ago. I didn't play it so it wasn't worth just sitting there idle. I figured someone else might put it to better use than I would.

Might as well get a fresh one. I'm not a fan of used products so I guess my opinion is a bit biased.

I've bought a few used PS2's that withstood the test of time but for the most part I agree with you.

NightAngel - I would trade it in while it still has some value and use the store credit towards a new unit.

Upvote 0
Duuuuuude!

Get one of these babies man! :cool:

nes-console-300x217.jpg

xD

Sorry about ur PS3 though :(

Upvote 0
Maybe try to open it up carefully without destroying it and so that no one will know. If there is nothing that you can do after that, bring it somewhere.

Its got an indicator that is a pain in the *ss to not disturb. IMO not worth the risk.

At any rate I traded it in (got 85 bucks for it) and bought i brand new one

Duuuuuude!

Get one of these babies man! :cool:

nes-console-300x217.jpg

This is what you do with one of those: How to make NINTENDO NES to a DVD Player

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones