• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Put Videos on Droid

Update 2: Took 18 minutes for doubleTwist to convert *and sync* a 699MB DivX/AVI file to the Droid. This is on a 2.4Ghz quad core machine with SATA drives.

Also note, Apple podcasts sync just fine, but they are formatted for an inferior screen and therefore do not fill the Droid's screen :)

So far, I'd say doubleTwist is the way to go even though it has its quirks.

Ha sounds good. I wish the "do all" droid would have supported divx because that is what all the movies and tv shows I download are. That is why the Omnia 2 looked so good. Hope they hurry that flash support too.

1 more question, when I was in the VZW store I found an app in the android marketplace to play divx files. Anyone know how well of if this works?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I used the 'iPod Touch' settings on CloneDVD Mobile. I converted a commercial movie to MP4 and got it over to the Droid. It played wonderfully, but it appears that the audio was slightly out of sync. When I say 'slightly', I mean that it was fine in the middle of the movie, but just a tad off at the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes.

I'm going to d/l HandBrake and give it a whirl. I'll post results when I have some.

EDIT: A year since the last HandBrake update? Am I reading that correctly? If so, could some of the problems in this thread be associated with a lack of updates for so long?

Upvote 0
Yes I have had the same issue. I found if I use Meridian to launch a video there is a delay between sound and video. If you use the standard video player it works fine. I assume many apps still need to be updated for 2.0.

I cannot get the video to fill the screen at various resolutions. Any ideas? I can play a video but it does not take up the entire screen. I use DVD ripper. Works great for iphone but Im having trouble for droid. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I think I found some great settings to convert with (for Handbrake):

I'm not sure about ripping straight from a DVD, but when you have a file (mine are 720/1080p .MKVs in 16:9), you can use these following settings:

Easy way: Select iPod legacy, change width to 848 (should turn box green automatically)

Exact Settings:

848x480 resolution, H.264 codec, 1500kbps avg bitrate, AAC 48KHz 160Kbps

Here's a sample I made yesterday, watch it on your Droid and your eyes will be pleased!

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

No copyright infringement intended.

It takes me ~45min to convert a full length movie with these settings. This is with a Ph. II X4 940 quad core at 3.7GHz. My guess is that if you have a quad core it will take roughly an hour, dual core, perhaps 2.

Let me know if these settings work for you!

Perfect using 2 different apps. Very nice job.

I have a question for anyone. Why not encode audio using mp3 instead of AAC? Seems like either should work so it doesn't really matter. I'm just wondering

Upvote 0
Perfect using 2 different apps. Very nice job.

I have a question for anyone. Why not encode audio using mp3 instead of AAC? Seems like either should work so it doesn't really matter. I'm just wondering

Glad those settings worked for you.

I think when it comes to AAC vs. MP3, AAC is prefered as it's the newer codec, preserves sound quality better at lower bitrates, and results in smaller file sizes.

A downside is that maybe the decode is more CPU intensive? Even if that's the case, I doubt it makes much of a difference in the big picture.

Upvote 0
You guys just need to use Super C.

I convert to 16:9 320X176 480Kbps 64-96 Kbps audio .MP4.

Works like a charm. Give it a few tries to learn to use it. Once you have its a very powerful tool.

I can do a quick tutorial on qik.com if anyone wants me to. I'll set up a live feed using my NEW Eris to demonstrate.

The hard one is the MKV file. The important thing to make sure there is, subtitles. You must uncheck "hide subtitles."

Handbrake for DVD's is a no Brainer.

Upvote 0
I think I found the reason why some video's audio are stuttering for me like other users have had. its the way the file was encoded.

I was trying to convert some mkv files and only certain mkv files had the stuttering audio problem. I converted one file fine while another did not. I'm using handbrake btw, so I looked in the activity window while the file was encoding and I got all kinds of audio error messages. something about missing audio at that specific point so something was added to the audio (sorry not at my pc right now so I can't remember exactly). the message kept coming up every couple seconds so I'm guessing something was messed up in the audio during the original converting of that file.

Upvote 0
Hi,
To confirm:
- in USB mode, made 'Music' and 'Video' folders
- dragged mp4 into video folder
- did not see it in the Droid Gallery until I powered off and on
- there it was. I tapped, got it playing, but two things:

- while playing, "Sorry, this video cannot be played" came up
- then it stopped.

I'm thinking either:
a) we need a list of settings to use (but that's a little much, we want this simple and enjoyable) or
b) we need to know the best media player... one that is forgiving and manages the details

For example, I kept a list of video settings for YouTube until they made both my Mac software and YouTube itself much more robust.

Upvote 0
Ok so I've got 720p converted using handbrake. While using these settings:ipod legacy, 848x480, h.264,1500 kbps, acc 48 khz 160 kbps, and the video is great. I mean its 10/10. But the audio is so choppy I haven't heard a single word from the movie. I was just wondering why my audio isn't working and urs is.

Upvote 0
This is working for me, so far. But at 1h 45m to convert 1 movie (700~MB .avi) it almost doesn't seem worth it. I really hope someone comes out with a video player that will play avi's

Hi, you're actually upconverting that 700MB .avi file, and that's why it's taking so long. The settings I shared are for high quality video, so we're talking about .MKV or other HD files at 720/1080p anywhere from 4-10GB in size.

For 700MB .avi files, just take a look at the properties of your video, and convert using the same width as the actual file itself. This should cut down on the time it takes to convert considerably, and there will be no loss in quality vs. the higher settings (as the video didn't have the quality there to begin with).

This should scale down your conversion time by half (at least), I think.

Which brings me to a point:

There are no definitive settings for converting your videos. You should change them dynamically, dependent upon the quality of your original video, and how good you want it to look on your Droid.

There are quite a few good suggestions being made in this thread, and at different quality levels. But a good rule of thumb is to not encode your video at a higher resolution than the original, you're just wasting space.

Upvote 0
Update 2: Took 18 minutes for doubleTwist to convert *and sync* a 699MB DivX/AVI file to the Droid. This is on a 2.4Ghz quad core machine with SATA drives.

Also note, Apple podcasts sync just fine, but they are formatted for an inferior screen and therefore do not fill the Droid's screen :)

So far, I'd say doubleTwist is the way to go even though it has its quirks.
Has anyone tried the DIVX converter? I've converted boatloads of video in this tool for my blackberry curve - they dont work for the ipod/touch, though.

BTW, the AVS converter is aan excellent converter that I use for Ipod/touch ao it should work for the driod.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones