• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Qik video chat isn't free?

Very poor business decision on Qik's part. Their management apparently doesn't understand that they were an unknown brand/service before the EVO hit and that their position in the market does not give them the ability to charge for such a service.

What's great is that a free alternative, Fring, already demonstrated that its video chat implementation is actually pretty good both phone-to-phone and phone-to-PC.

Reactions: jgangsta
Upvote 0
engadget just got word that qik will be an additional 4.99 MONTHLY! This bows BIG balls!! Thank you for fring!!!!

Qik charging $5 monthly for EVO 4G video chat? -- Engadget

Yep, looks like Fring is the way to go if I ever need to do any sext..... I mean Skype calls. I don't care how much cheaper Sprint is, I'm not looking to get nickle and dimed every month by anybody to use my phone regardless if it's Sprint or Quik

Upvote 0
shall we look at the ipad that doesn't include a card reader or usb out? wait, they are add ons.

ichat is free because apple developed it. Android as an OS is free. They are not subsidizing QIK so why shouldn't QIK be allowed to get paid for it's time and effort to create the program? As most said, it's probably a $5 one time upgrade. Is document editing free? No. You can view docs, but you have to pay to edit them. Yeah, what a ripoff :rolleyes:
And this is why people continue to love the iPhone over everything. It will undoubtedly come, out of the box, with video chat built right into a mobile ichat that will seamlessly integrate with ichat on the computer. i wouldn't be shocked to see video skype chat with it on launch, as well. Though you'll likely only be able to take advantage of it in wifi areas (guessing here). Tradeoffs, ugh

Upvote 0
shall we look at the ipad that doesn't include a card reader or usb out? wait, they are add ons.

ichat is free because apple developed it. Android as an OS is free. They are not subsidizing QIK so why shouldn't QIK be allowed to get paid for it's time and effort to create the program? As most said, it's probably a $5 one time upgrade. Is document editing free? No. You can view docs, but you have to pay to edit them. Yeah, what a ripoff :rolleyes:
Yeah, except the documentation in the picture states a monthly recurring charge of $4.99 billed via Paypal not a one time payment.:mad:

Upvote 0
Dumb. If they wanted to charge, they should've just made it a flat 30 bucks or something like that. I might have considered it. 5 bucks per month so that I can only talk to fellow EVO users? Of which I know only one? Nice.

I'll just wait for Google to inevitably implement it and use the freebies along the way to hold me over.

What a silly move by Qik.

Upvote 0
We should all be patient. Qik charging will lead to Qik extinction. Or will it? Nope, just the value of Qik will drop so low that Google will buy it, and then add it's tech to the Google/Android arsenal.

So it might take a few weeks or months, but it will be "free" compliments of no buyers and Google acquisition.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones