• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question about backups

jager1313

Apr 30, 2010
Generic question has come up as I am trying different ROMs and restoring backups.

In my original nadroid backup, I had used TI Backup to eliminate multiple programs I did not like, ie CitySearch, Verizon App ect.

I also backed up all the system data in TI, things like rosie, sms system docs ect.

As I am running these new ROMS, i have to constantly weed out the programs I want to restore. Since I am backing up more system data with new ROMS, the backup list continues to grow.

Question is: does the Nandroid backup take care of all the system data items, so I don't have to TI back up those files?

Does the Nandroid back up also take care of original stock apps like CitySearch, Verizon App ect.?

Nandroid backs up EVERYTHING, apps, data, kernel. Nandroid is for when you try out a rom or kernel and it doesn't work, it gives you a point to restore back to, Think of it as a system restore point like you'd see in windows. Or the other reason people have a nandroid is if they have a few roms they like and want to switch easily between them.
Titanium is for when you load a new rom that you like and need to reload all your apps/data.
So to answer your question, when you do a nandroid it backs up everything you have on the phone at the time you run it.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Yeah, I typically don't like to restore system data via TI, although I do back it all up just in case an individual system app borks or I inadvertantly delete something (emails/texts/etc) and end up wanting them back.

When loading new Roms, I use the "restore missing apps/data" option. That restores the apps and THEIR data instead of system data. The problem with restoring all system data is that glitches can come about especially on Roms that differ greatly from one another.

Anytime I want to restore all system data, I do so using a Nandroid restore. That puts everything back to the way it was at the time the backup was created as mentioned above. Then you can always restore newer apps via TI and use it and Nandroid in conjunction with one another.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones