• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root RAM quest.

Its set, but you can partition your sdcard so it has a swap partition which is similar to virtual memory on winbloze.

Very good point, as it has only been recently as far as I know that you can get the Swap working. PLEASE CORRECT IF WRONG: BUT I don't think that the stock ROM supported nor used any swap. But with the CM7 ROM, it's no problem.

Again-I am not sure about that.

What is mentioned above is all correct it is set. But keep in mind that the Linux programming (Android), is in complete control of releasing apps, etc from memory if more is needed. This is why Task/app killers are really NOT a good thing.

That is a sensitive topic, some thing they are good. I don't.

If you have one, try instead an app called "Watchdog" instead of just randomly dumping an app if it's in Memory. Watchdog instead watches your CPU. If an app runs amuk with your cpu it will dump it.

A poorly coded app, even something really simple, like a suduku game or something, poorly coded can take your cpu for a wild ride. Watchdog looks for this and instead of a random dump it removes apps that are using the cpu without necessity. VERY GOOD APP.

If your using CM7 and the overclocking, make sure to make necessary adjustments for the new values, as it may think some app took the cpu out of control, VERY CUSTOMIZABLE this app.

I had a very small simple game, little word game, but I noticed my phone would get hot as hell when used. Watchdog went crazy, turns out, very poorly coded, and it was using cpu power equivelent of running some super app, so :

Wouldn't you rather dump that from memory than say some little thing doing nothing just because it's there.

Bottom line, LET ANDROID control the memory, it's programmed to. If you like use watchdog, keep any eye on the cpu usage.

OK...Sorry for the long detail...

My trademark, I can't stop typing, I like to give ALL the detail and write LONG msgs....my friends HATE IT...LOL....guaranteed they are skimming each one...

HAVE A GREAT DAY...Jeff

Reactions: DsyMnapTic
Upvote 0
Very good point, as it has only been recently as far as I know that you can get the Swap working. PLEASE CORRECT IF WRONG: BUT I don't think that the stock ROM supported nor used any swap. But with the CM7 ROM, it's no problem.

Again-I am not sure about that.

What is mentioned above is all correct it is set. But keep in mind that the Linux programming (Android), is in complete control of releasing apps, etc from memory if more is needed. This is why Task/app killers are really NOT a good thing.

That is a sensitive topic, some thing they are good. I don't.

If you have one, try instead an app called "Watchdog" instead of just randomly dumping an app if it's in Memory. Watchdog instead watches your CPU. If an app runs amuk with your cpu it will dump it.

A poorly coded app, even something really simple, like a suduku game or something, poorly coded can take your cpu for a wild ride. Watchdog looks for this and instead of a random dump it removes apps that are using the cpu without necessity. VERY GOOD APP.

If your using CM7 and the overclocking, make sure to make necessary adjustments for the new values, as it may think some app took the cpu out of control, VERY CUSTOMIZABLE this app.

I had a very small simple game, little word game, but I noticed my phone would get hot as hell when used. Watchdog went crazy, turns out, very poorly coded, and it was using cpu power equivelent of running some super app, so :

Wouldn't you rather dump that from memory than say some little thing doing nothing just because it's there.

Bottom line, LET ANDROID control the memory, it's programmed to. If you like use watchdog, keep any eye on the cpu usage.

OK...Sorry for the long detail...

My trademark, I can't stop typing, I like to give ALL the detail and write LONG msgs....my friends HATE IT...LOL....guaranteed they are skimming each one...

HAVE A GREAT DAY...Jeff
VERY NICE explaination as why ATK n similar apps are not needed. Yea I dunno if swap worked on 2.1 either, but I know it does in CM7.

Reactions: DsyMnapTic
Upvote 0
alright dudes...thanks much for the info.
And you're cool with me Jeff on your awesomely descriptive explanations...
A couple more things from me...
@PG or anyone actually....so do you recommend that I use swap since I now have the option to do so on cm7?
If I'm correct darktremors a2sd is not device specific...right? so all the script is the same and I can just download the beta 04 version from where ever? also is this the best and most up to date version to use?

Upvote 0
alright dudes...thanks much for the info.
And you're cool with me Jeff on your awesomely descriptive explanations...
A couple more things from me...
@PG or anyone actually....so do you recommend that I use swap since I now have the option to do so on cm7?
If I'm correct darktremors a2sd is not device specific...right? so all the script is the same and I can just download the beta 04 version from where ever? also is this the best and most up to date version to use?
If you have a big enough sdcard most def. I'll leave the DT a2sd stuff to spyder lol

Upvote 0
Okay...now comes the questions.
1: Is this process(a2sd) configured to do everything its supposed to automatically or is the only way to interact with it, through terminal codes? Or is there really no settings to configure?

2: Wont my phone screw up if I ever unmount the SD, being that all system apps are now on it? or would it be fine to remove it when the phone is off and then put it back in and power on without Any issues?

All help much appreciated

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones