• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Really Confused, Device is Dead

I know the guy at my job said something about a update but glad to see your working again . just need to ask why does the parandroid works so well with the nexus and HTC . no seems to say that . I seen it in action but why does this custom ROM works so good with just nexus and htc

They have a really good dev team behind what they are creating there.

It's unfortunate that the new PA is only focusing on Nexus devices though.

So what version of bootloader is bad, and what package is it included with?

Just trying to digest this thread into a small nugget my brain can store..

So what version of bootloader is bad, and what package is it included with?

Just trying to digest this thread into a small nugget my brain can store..

It's the 4.23 bootloader from the factory image. I think it's been included in build JWR66Y and newer, but I'm not totally confident on that fact.

I know for a fact that JWR66V was clean, but that has since been removed from their website.

It's the 4.23 bootloader from the factory image. I think it's been included in build JWR66Y and newer, but I'm not totally confident on that fact.

I know for a fact that JWR66V was clean, but that has since been removed from their website.

If you have the link handy to where you found the 4.23 bootloader from (XDA?), I'll download it and compare it to the factory image one.

I think I've got all the factory images...(checking now...)--yep, I've got a bunch of 'em :).

If you have the link handy to where you found the 4.23 bootloader from (XDA?), I'll download it and compare it to the factory image one.

I think I've got all the factory images...(checking now...)--yep, I've got a bunch of 'em :).

Unfortunately, DC didn't post a link on where he got it from. Hopefully he'll be back to post it.

I appreciate you folks looking into this, I am rooted stock on 4.3 on my N7 grouper and just want to know what versions of the factory firmware I may have an issue with so I can add it to my internal brain ladder of trouble shooting.

Unfortunately, DC didn't post a link on where he got it from. Hopefully he'll be back to post it.

I appreciate you folks looking into this, I am rooted stock on 4.3 on my N7 grouper and just want to know what versions of the factory firmware I may have an issue with so I can add it to my internal brain ladder of trouble shooting.

Hey guys, sorry didn't bother to check this last night.

This is where I found the correct bootloader download: [BOOTLOADER] [4.3] JWR66V 4.23 Now Has Flash able Zip! - XDA Forum

After that I ended up just flashing the stock 4.4.4 that I had :)

I know for a fact that the bootloader that is with the firmware downloads for the Nexus 7 '12 (WIFI) is corrupted and won't work.

Hey guys, sorry didn't bother to check this last night.

This is where I found the correct bootloader download: [BOOTLOADER] [4.3] JWR66V 4.23 Now Has Flash able Zip! - XDA Forum

After that I ended up just flashing the stock 4.4.4 that I had :)

I know for a fact that the bootloader that is with the firmware downloads for the Nexus 7 '12 (WIFI) is corrupted and won't work.

Okay, this is interesting...

The 4.23 bootloader image from the above link shows this as it's MD5 checksum:

Scary Alien@LV-426 /cygdrive/c/users/scary alien/downloads
$ md5sum boot*4.23.img
df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24 *bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

Scary Alien@LV-426 /cygdrive/c/temp
$ md5sum 4*/bootloader-*.img
df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24 *430-jwr66v/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390 *430-jwr66y/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24 *440-krt16s/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
797a8ddfe19bfe4c485f8a8c119f1bdd *442-kot49h/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390 *443-ktu84l/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390 *444-ktu84p/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

which, interestingly enough, matches BOTH the 4.3.0 JWR66v and the 4.4.0 KRT16S bootloader image from their respective factory images (edit: or at least what they were when I originally downloaded those factory images).

Hopping in mid thread... So this may have been discussed

MD5s matching is just evidence its the same bootloader . Is there actually a bootloader version difference on there? It doesn't always change with an OTA

MD5s matching is just evidence its the same bootloader . Is there actually a bootloader version difference on there? It doesn't always change with an OTA

Not sure what you mean...? :confused:

I did a strings on each of the 4.x.x bootloaders and all "BOOTLOADER VERSION - " strings returned "BOOTLOADER VERSION - 4.23", so they'll all 4.23, but the different MD5s indicate some kind of difference (no way to tell how much, of course).

Hopping in mid thread... So this may have been discussed

The issue was I kept using the bootloader img. from the firmware downloads and it kept failing. Which is why I had to go to XDA to find the proper bootloader download.

I think what SA is saying is that if you use the jwr66v or krt16s images, or download those images and take the bootloader out of it for manual flashes you'll be fine because it contains the same bootloader that was obtained from xda. The ktu84p, ktu84l, and jrw66y all contain this bad bootloader that won't flash. Interestingly enough is that kot49h contains a third variant of this same bootloader and it makes me wonder if it's good or not.

I think what SA is saying is that if you use the jwr66v or krt16s images, or download those images and take the bootloader out of it for manual flashes you'll be fine because it contains the same bootloader that was obtained from xda. The ktu84p, ktu84l, and jrw66y all contain this bad bootloader that won't flash. Interestingly enough is that kot49h contains a third variant of this same bootloader and it makes me wonder if it's good or not.

LOL, but you said it better, J! :)

I'm still not sure why there's be an issue with the bootloader flash if it had anything to do with version numbers--you should be able to revert to an older set anytime you want (which I have done), so there must be some other cross-check that we're not necessarily aware of OR the file was somehow indeed corrupted (but I can't imagine that Google would not have fixed and re-uploaded the factory image with a fixed file). :dontknow:

I should try to grab the bootloader files from the OTAs and see which ones they match up with...I think I have a few of those downloaded and saved, too.

I think I still have the 4.4.3 one queued up on my grouper, I can grab it when I get home if you down check them first

LOL, but you said it better, J! :)

I'm still not sure why there's be an issue with the bootloader flash if it had anything to do with version numbers--you should be able to revert to an older set anytime you want (which I have done), so there must be some other cross-check that we're not necessarily aware of OR the file was somehow indeed corrupted (but I can't imagine that Google would not have fixed and re-uploaded the factory image with a fixed file). :dontknow:

I should try to grab the bootloader files from the OTAs and see which ones they match up with...I think I have a few of those downloaded and saved, too.

Uh I think the one on krt16s was corrupted, I know that I pulled it out and manually tried to flash it...not positive, but I think that happened.

I think I still have the 4.4.3 one queued up on my grouper, I can grab it when I get home if you down check them first

Yeah test the krt16s one for us that would be great, because I am unsure if that works or not.

Okay, a little more research and info for those that might care or be interested:

- I already had 3 OTA.zip files downloaded on my desktop (4.1.2 JZO54K, 4.4.2 KOT49H, 4.4.3 KTU84l) and only the 4.1.2 OTA included a bootloader.raw file whose MD5 (b6c51cf13d9d38e62875d1aa4fbc248d) doesn't match any of the ones mentioned above.

So, I decided to download 13 other "nakasi" OTAs (from here -- credit and thanks to XDA's oldblue910) that covered JWR66Y (4.3), KRT16S (4.4), KOT49H (4.4.2), KTU84L (4.4.3), and KTU84P (4.4.4) and only the JWR66Y (4.3) ones had any bootloaders included in them.

Interestingly enough, that bootloader's MD5 was 5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390 which indeed matches the 4.3.0, 4.4.3, and 4.4.4 factory image bootloaders that I documented previously:

$ md5sum 4*/bootloader-*.img
df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24 *430-jwr66v/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390 *430-jwr66y/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24 *440-krt16s/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
797a8ddfe19bfe4c485f8a8c119f1bdd *442-kot49h/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390 *443-ktu84l/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390 *444-ktu84p/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

So, I'm not sure what to make of all of this or if it really tells us anything...:dontknow:

Probably the only real way to know would be to flash the "old" and "new" bootloaders in different combinations to see if there are really any restrictions or if DC's bootloader flashing was simply case of a wonky, transient failed flash. I'm not anxious or in a hurry to do this myself, but if / when Android L is released, I might re-visit this and do these flashes prior to installing "L".

I've actually never used Wug's or MSkip's toolkits, so I don't know for sure if they include the sleep/pause and the reboot bootloader between each of the various steps--if they don't or if they allow the user to "press return" to continue without the possibly-requisite pause and bootloader reboot, then that might explain what happeded to DC (and others)?

That might also imply that the bootloader in question was not corrupt or mispackaged...

Thoughts?

Okay, a little more research and info for those that might care or be interested:

- I already had 3 OTA.zip files downloaded on my desktop (4.1.2 JZO54K, 4.4.2 KOT49H, 4.4.3 KTU84l) and only the 4.1.2 OTA included a bootloader.raw file whose MD5 (b6c51cf13d9d38e62875d1aa4fbc248d) doesn't match any of the ones mentioned above.

So, I decided to download 13 other "nakasi" OTAs (from here -- credit and thanks to XDA's oldblue910) that covered JWR66Y (4.3), KRT16S (4.4), KOT49H (4.4.2), KTU84L (4.4.3), and KTU84P (4.4.4) and only the JWR66Y (4.3) ones had any bootloaders included in them.

Interestingly enough, that bootloader's MD5 was 5bdb2e87370cdb1a7ea14bb0c3e21390 which indeed matches the 4.3.0, 4.4.3, and 4.4.4 factory image bootloaders that I documented previously:

So, I'm not sure what to make of all of this or if it really tells us anything...:dontknow:

Probably the only real way to know would be to flash the "old" and "new" bootloaders in different combinations to see if there are really any restrictions or if DC's bootloader flashing was simply case of a wonky, transient failed flash. I'm not anxious or in a hurry to do this myself, but if / when Android L is released, I might re-visit this and do these flashes prior to installing "L".

I've actually never used Wug's or MSkip's toolkits, so I don't know for sure if they include the sleep/pause and the reboot bootloader between each of the various steps--if they don't or if they allow the user to "press return" to continue without the possibly-requisite pause and bootloader reboot, then that might explain what happeded to DC (and others)?

That might also imply that the bootloader in question was not corrupt or mispackaged...

Thoughts?

Nice finds here SA. :)

I know that it might be a smart idea, for the benefit of the users, to revisit those bootloaders and flash them over to see if they work or whatnot.

There was definitely plenty of confusion on my part when I kept trying to flash the bootloader that came with the firmware and it just wouldn't work/update.

I ended up jumping over to XDA, and they discussed this issue right here: [Q] JWR66Y nakasi factory image bootloader p… | Nexus 7 | XDA Forum

Nice one brother. The logical part of my brain has to close it's eyes when it comes to this tab lol.
It has a mind of its own.... You offend it.... It's just gonna sleep for a few days n wake up when you're forgiven.

I kinda like it. It's close to where my username stems from :beer:

Back
Top Bottom