• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Regarding Busybox and installation.

darknight88

Jul 24, 2011
Ok new here and recently successfully modded my OV, no issues. But the way I installed Busybox is bothering me. I feel like I might of installed it on the wrong step or something.

So anyways I installed CW recovery along with aospCM7. Everything nice and smooth. Before flashing the rom, I had to install the custom recovery. So I rooted my phone with gingerbreak.apk then installed superuser followed by root checker. Now root checker told me I didn't have Busybox and to get it from Market. So I did. After that verified working with Titaniumbackup.

After all that, I went ahead and ran RomTools and installed custom recovery and backed up my Stock rom. But then I remembered I installed Busybox before so it wasn't a "stock" rom any more since it's modified. I didn't care about rooting since it's easy to remove but read Busybox ain't. So my Q is, did I screw my stock rom backup? I know it won't really do anything bad but really wanted it to be unmodified when making my first backup.

One more thing, do you need to install Busybox when installing a recovery/custom rom for the first time? What about any future installations? Do I need to install it again if I want to go from aospCM7 to a different custom rom?

Thanx and sorry for long noob post.

Busybox has a lot of the binaries that are necessary in order to be allowed super user privileges on a temp. basis so that you can change files(move,delete,change permissions,etc)... And without it no custom recovery,or ROM. Once installed it resides in the bin or xbin of your system and does not need to be installed again. It is the stock ROM,you just have root access to you files now. If you were to flash a custom kernel over it then it would be a modified ROM. You can use the GingerBreak apk to return to a none rooted state. If you go to another ROM you have to wipe cache,Dalvick cache,and wipe data/factory reset. Then you should fomat boot,system,data,and cache just to be on the safe side. EDIT: You can install a custom recovery(Xionia_cwma),Kernel,Rom,and change your boot animation and theme with just a Shell Root(temporary root) that goes away at the next reboot. With ROMTools by mmmark111

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones