• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[RELEASED] The 4.3 inch "Thunderbolt" aka "Mecha" aka "Incredible HD" from HTC...beyond coming soon!

HELP i can't take it anymore, have been delaying my verizon upgrade because of all the rumors. As a side note I do have a sprint aircard and the 4g never works, so I think we are a way long way out till that really works. But if I upgrade now I am stuck for 2yrs! So I got the HTC Incredible and hated the contact area when you go to text you can't tell which is a landline etc. they said there were apps to fix this but, why fix a phone out of the box. So I am torn between the Droid and the fascinate. From what I have seen the fascinate screen qlty LED is phenominal, but I have an I touch so won't be using this too much for music but probably for movies (travel much) I also think it looks sexier than the Droid X - can anyone help me here can't take it. Verizon told me the Mecha aka HTC HD def will not be coming out in 2010 so how much longer do I wait - I am lugging around a voyager (I lost my lg dare and did't do the insurance rebate as there is a 90 deductible = WHAT TO DO???????????????????????????

Upvote 0
HELP i can't take it anymore, have been delaying my verizon upgrade because of all the rumors. As a side note I do have a sprint aircard and the 4g never works, so I think we are a way long way out till that really works. But if I upgrade now I am stuck for 2yrs! So I got the HTC Incredible and hated the contact area when you go to text you can't tell which is a landline etc. they said there were apps to fix this but, why fix a phone out of the box. So I am torn between the Droid and the fascinate. From what I have seen the fascinate screen qlty LED is phenominal, but I have an I touch so won't be using this too much for music but probably for movies (travel much) I also think it looks sexier than the Droid X - can anyone help me here can't take it. Verizon told me the Mecha aka HTC HD def will not be coming out in 2010 so how much longer do I wait - I am lugging around a voyager (I lost my lg dare and did't do the insurance rebate as there is a 90 deductible = WHAT TO DO???????????????????????????

Been sitting on an upgrade myself since October. I was going to upgrade to the Droid X or the Fascinate until I got involved in the HTC rumor game. Now I'm doing the same thing as you. Do I just upgrade now and bite the bullet...or do I wait it out?

I'm going to wait. Regardless of the HTC Mecha coming out, we should see some new phones coming in Jan or Feb of 2011. The Droid X is not a sexy device. It has the bigger screen but the Fascinate has the best screen for any android phone at the moment.

Go to the store and play with both. You can't make a decision until play with them IMO.

Upvote 0
You can always get a 1 year contract and by that time your contract is up something really great should be out by then maybe even an LTE phone

Upvote 0
You talking bout the Nexus S?

I hope that 16GB and no SD card slot is not going to be the norm. I'm still running with 16GB for my Droid 1 but I'm all about having more storage options in the event that you need it and want to invest a little in an extra 16 or 32GB.

Yeah the Nexus S , should have quoted the post I was referencing.

But yeah I have a 32gb card in my Incredible and it's only got 9gb left . I just couldn't see myself spending $500 + on a phone that doesn't even have memory expansion. I loved that the Incredible came with 8gb and the MicroSD . I was actually kind of hoping that most the new Android phones would start coming with 16gb internal and an micro sd slot and really I'd like to see 2 micro sd slots (wishful thinking)

I also like being able to just take the microsd card outta my phone to use in my computer etc...

Upvote 0
Yeah the Nexus S , should have quoted the post I was referencing.

I also like being able to just take the microsd card outta my phone to use in my computer etc...
EXACTLY removeability and ease of transfer are the biggest issues. SURE most everyone knows how to file transfer in some form or another but nothing is easier than just removing storage and using it somewhere else.

Upvote 0
fyi I talked with a VZW rep today that passed my BS-o-meter with flying colors. I asked him when Iowa was getting lte and he said june-july maybe. Then I asked when VZW will have an LTE phone and he said it won't be till Feb. If the INC HD is LTE...you decide. But this info seems to be the going opinion though it isn't what we want to hear.

Upvote 0
^hmmmmm

isnt it annoying when a rep gives you news you dont want to hear AND seems to be legit!? i hate that. lol

who knows though, a lot of the time they dont know much more than we do (in terms of how far in advanced the get info over the internet community)

he could just be regurgitating forum rumors...

Upvote 0
I'm officially done with this phone. Just too close to the "Super Duper" dual core phones.

Motorola or Samsung...that is the only question. First dual core phone in 2011 with a 4.3" or bigger screen will get my business ;)

+1 on that. I'm not married to this *phone* at all, but I am most definitely going with a dual core processor and a 4.3"screen. I would prefer Samsung to Motorola though because I believe Samsung will be more easily rooted, themed, and overclocked.

Upvote 0
I'm officially done with this phone. Just too close to the "Super Duper" dual core phones.

Motorola or Samsung...that is the only question. First dual core phone in 2011 with a 4.3" or bigger screen will get my business ;)

I'm with you on that. I'll keep rocking my Evo until a dual core full touch 4.3" comes out- No reason to jump on the Mecha, when it probably won't have anything more going for it than the Evo does, which has been out since June.

Upvote 0
The Mecha would have been a great phone in 2010. I wanted an EVO when they came out but didn't want to switch to Sprint. I saw this device as an updated EVO for Verizon and that would have been good enough for me to pull the trigger in Nov or even Dec of this year. Once January rolls around, the focus will be on the next gen devices and while I think the form factor is still perfect, the engine (2nd Gen Snapdragon) will be a little underpowered. Now if they put a dual core processor in this 4.3" device, I would be sold but I think we are more likely to see Motorola and/or Samsung have one before HTC does.

Upvote 0
Like many of you, I have been patiently waiting for the HTC Droid Mecha (?) to become a reality. In preparation for that day, I switched my trusty old Droid Eris from a corporate plan to a personal account with Verizon Wireless today. Here is the deal I negotiated:

$28.69/mo.: Voice - 300 min.
$5.00/mo.: Text - 250 messages or pics
$20.00/mo.: Data - Unlimited 3G Internet

At $53.69/ mo. total, that seems like a pretty good deal. Now I just need the Mecha to show up. If it turns out to be LTE (4G), I guess that I'll just start the negotiation all over again.

By the way, pdaNET (free version) rocks. Sitting in a hotel basement conference room with no Wi-Fi and only one 3G bar, I was still able to watch the Michigan-Wisconsin football game live on my laptop, full screen video on ESPN3 by simply tethering the phone through a USB cable.

Upvote 0
Its a shame because this could have been an awesome phone for around the holidays to boost sales but they miss out and now it will just be another decent phone that comes out and is overshadowed by some "super phone" that is just around the corner. Luckily I dont have an upgrade until july anyway so im sure by then they will have some really awesome phones out

Yeah, but in July, you may hear rumblings of the next "big" thing like Tegra 3 or Orion 2 chips coming to phones soon LOL. There is always something lurking around the corner. I do think that in July you will have a much better selection of devices than what we have today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones