• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remote wipe

SPEEDY168

Jul 5, 2010
Is there an app that can remotely wipe or lock your phone if it is lost or stolen ? There is all kinds of apps to locate it thru GPS, but if you don't have a signal it`s no good. I would rather wipe it and get a new one rather than have someone else looking thru my contacts.

I've been using WaveSecure on my wife's Incredible.

It costs $20 for a year's service. Every time she plugs in her phone it backs up the contacts, messages, and photos to their servers. It can be remotely locked, unlocked, and wiped via a web interface or text message from another phone. Supposedly it will even turn GPS on when locating the phone if your phone is rooted. They update it regularly and the company is being acquired by McAfee according to their website. I like it enough to buy another license for my upcoming smart phone at work.

There is also Prey, a free open source program, not sure of its features for android but I use it on my netbook to lock it down if lost. I don't think it wipes the data but it should lock down the phone.

And if you want to try to avoid losing it in the first place I use a Bringrr in my work truck for my current dumb phone. It uses bluetooth to verify your phone is within 5 feet or so of it whenever you start your vehicle. If the phone isn't nearby the light turns red and an alarm sounds. Clever.

Hope this helps...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones