• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Ok so I just exchanged my Captivate for a new one (today was the 30th day lol). Before I returned it however, I installed mybackup pro and backed-up all my data/applications onto my external microSD card. I recently installed mybackup pro onto my new Captivate, attempting to restore all my apps/data. The data restore (SMS, contacts, call log, calendar, dictionary, etc) worked fine, but the app restore won't let me restore because of AT&T's stupid block on non-market apps. Now I figured I can get all my apps back in two ways: either look at all of the .apk's in the backup .zip file and manually install them from the app store, OR I can root (I never rooted original phone) and hopefully that block on non-market installs will be removed. So which method should I try? I was thinking of rooting this phone eventually but I'm scared that it will brick and i'll be out $500. Is the risk of bricking small enough to even attempt the root? And if I root how do I remove the non-market block so that I can restore my apps using mybackup pro? Thank you for any suggestions, tips.

P.S. The few paid apps I bought showed up on the Market's download list, but nothing else.

I already gave you the information to root and allow non market apps in your other post. Now root your phone with the link I provided in your other post. (BTW shouldn't double post as this follows your other thread) Go get root explorer from the marketplace and make sure you have firefox loaded and install the sqllite addon.

You need to be rooted find the settings.db file copy it to the sd card then mount the device to the computer then follow the below steps. I know its probably a bitch of a way to do it. But its alot easier then the adb shell method. Worked for me like a champ.

Then follow these steps

Method 2: with Root Explorer (courtesy of kirbo20) This is a pretty easy process. I went in to Root Explorer - dbdata - databases - com.android.providers.settings, copied settings.db to my sd card, edited it on my pc with a db editor changed 0 to a 1 next to non market apps. Copied it back to the original directory, rebooted and installed a non market app.
(added by gotfolk) again using FF plug in..
Click Secure on the left pane
click on install_non_market_apps
click edit
number 3 states value click there and type in 1. hit ok (/gotfolk)
Please use caution. If you want to make sure the db save properly open it on your sd card before you copy and replace the original. It should open up as a readable table. If it opens up in a txt editor its corrupt. This permanently enables non market apps. You can not toggle it on and off.
( This is a sqlite3 database file, you can find many GUI editors that will be able to handle the editing, including a FF plugin. Search "SQLite" )

**** gotten from here http://samsungcaptivate.wikia.com/wiki/How_To_Enable_Non-Market_apps_for_Captivate ****

You will then need to copy the edited settings.db back to the place you got it from using root explorer.

The other thing is you can extract the apks from the update.zip file and then try the sideload wonder machine and see if that works for you.

In the future I would stay rooted and use Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data. It works great for me. Restored my phone 2x after messing it up. Rooted the phone loaded titanium backup and restored and all was back the way I left it.

Oh and rooting should not brick your phone at all cause it doesn't mess with the kernel or the rom

Reactions: XTheEnthusiastX
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice about double posting, but this was the first time I asked about this...perhaps you confused me with someone else? Anyway I will try the "one click" root method and if I need to return it/claim insurance on it than I can just use "one click" unroot method. Then I will try the block non-market apps method you provided...thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones