• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Restoring my Ally --plz redirect if needed!

Einsteindks

Nov 24, 2010
Well, after changing up to the Droid X, I feel sorry for my Ally. I want to give it a second chance. It came with V8, was updated to VB, then failed into VC because I couldn't restore deleted factory apps. It shows VB in the phone stats, and everything else one would expect in there for that level. No one has posted a signed VB ROM, so I'm restored to V8 boot data and system. I have recovery 1.13 in, should I put 1.2.4 on? Either one seems to not like the OTA to VB. It fails due to signature verification either on it's own, or a flash from the SD card (I was able to pull it from /cache). I did all the wipes possible before putting The ROM and recovery on. Many hours of trial and error...MANY; to get to this point. Lots of on-my-own creations fell flat before I started following ALL instructions posted. I've a large jumble of files and .zipS from my googling research. I know I can't be far now, seeing as it's just a signature test. I'm cool with all bone stock. I can root and save MUCH better now, but am at an impass. HELP!!!!! What where why how?????????

OTA's won't install with a custom recovery. You need to flash back to the stock recovery.

And the stock V8 ROM floating around that you can flash won't install the OTA's either because the boot image is different. It is stock, but it's not stock by Verizon's standards.

As I said, follow either set of directions I posted above if you want to go back to completely stock.

Upvote 0
I came to a similar conclusion myself. It still shows VB in the phone stats, and I gathered that maybe the phone sees that and that's what balks the install. I thought the stock recovery didn't take, by found out by digging again that the android and '!' sign splash DOES mean the stock recovery is there. It doesn't let you do much, really. But on my DroidX, the recovery does stop and allow you a few options. I'll give it one more try, but I'm having trouble with this 'AmonRa' recovery. I have the Nandroid back up, but also have a mental block on how to work with it. I'll post my results, when they happen.

Upvote 0
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO MEEEE!!!!!
I'm an old fart, by some standards here. I had some minor tweeking problems with getting the updater to run; like file permission (Win7 64bit) and current LG Android drivers, and the file name (check properties to be sure!), but I knew I had to be on the right track, it seemed the only thing I hadn't done! LOL I sorta regret getting my Droid X now, but only because of the price/investment involved. The Gigs of onboard memory easily puts any buyer's remorse out the window!! I have a fully restored Ally, waiting to be backed up first, of course! Thanks to all here for putting up with my 'Droid and hacking ignorance. Oh, and what about my family on this day? I get my daughter later this morning from the Ex for the next 2 days! And, I worked a 2nd shift at work yesterday for the extra $$. Merry CHRISTmas, Happy Holidays, Shalom, and Happy Kwanza to all!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones