• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Roll Call! What's up 2023?!?!?!

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
It's been awhile since I've talked to a lot of you... curious how many people are still around and kickin'?

What's been keeping you busy?
What in the tech world is keeping you interested?
What phone are you rockin' now?
What's goooood?!?!?

We might be making some big changes soon. And when I say big, I mean, like... well... I'll save that for another time.

Strongly in love with my current girlfriend for the past six months since October, we see each other every shift, and love one another.
2) Still writing and doing massive art projects.
3) Getting mentally ready to purchase a Pixel seven, since my Moto Edge battery is sort of lofty from time to time, it is still kicking butt.
4) Knowing my head is clear and wishing everyone a happy new year!

Hello there. I'm still around. Been a bit busy lately. Decided to make a career change and so have been busy training at the new job. My phone time has been super limited. Actually was getting on to let the other mods know why I've been pretty scarce, but figured this thread was as good as any.

Still rocking my pixel 5. Hoping to upgrade in the near future. This phone didn't have an XL version and still, after a couple of years (1.5?), I am missing a larger screen. Typing is rough on this thing.

Strongly in love with my current girlfriend
Congrats! What have you been writing and what big art project is bringing you the most joy?

I'm still here!
Chat GPT and AI looking like big changes ahead
I've been having fun playing with OpenAI and Midjourney. Along with all they crypto/web3/nft stuffs, I haven't been this excited for new, transformative tech in awhile!

Waiting with bated breath for your big news. How ya doing? What have you been up to for all this time?
I've been really good all things considered, thanks for asking! I've been running a couple Airbnbs (which has kept me way more busy than I anticipated) and been dabbling in random web projects.

The "big news" probably isn't what people want or expect, but I think it'll be a step in the right direction. I think it's safe to say that I got burned out on Android, the smartphone world has matured, and tech early adopters have largely moved on to other areas of interest. So rather than let AF slowly grow old... maybe it's just time to grow up and grow into something else :)

Still my Dance of the Dead artwork wrapped around a Mr. Potatohead brings me the most joy, since nearly around a ton of my friends, are Mexician, I do have also a Gecko that is in the similar fashion artwork as well, I did that project out of the blue. :) @Rob

My writings can be found on here, sorry I have not updated on much on here, but I will drop and rag, but I really hate doing spam on it as well. :) The bais of the major project is a Play / Poem based on a dream within a dream, yeah been writing out "eyes of the machine" since time began :) (Tech 21 years)

a Play / Poem based on a dream within a dream

I wanted to write a movie/play/book since I was a kid and have written many outlines, but have never found the time to get it done. Often because I can't make up my mind. Most people say to stop caring so much about the details and just write something, anything, until you finish.

Inception is among my favorite movies, time travel is among my favorite genres, and I've got sooo many ideas on the topic that I'd have a blast exploring. Writing feels like such a solitary hobby at times because it's done alone and you don't typically want to "share" your craft until it's done, not only because you fear it being stolen, but because you fear it isn't good enough to share until you've given it your stamp of approval.}}

Keep chugging along!

I wanted to write a movie/play/book since I was a kid and have written many outlines, but have never found the time to get it done. Often because I can't make up my mind. Most people say to stop caring so much about the details and just write something, anything, until you finish.

Inception is among my favorite movies, time travel is among my favorite genres, and I've got sooo many ideas on the topic that I'd have a blast exploring. Writing feels like such a solitary hobby at times because it's done alone and you don't typically want to "share" your craft until it's done, not only because you fear it being stolen, but because you fear it isn't good enough to share until you've given it your stamp of approval.}}

Keep chugging along!
I started in the early days of my senior year getting into html thanks to a friend of mine, and we did all kinds of extra credit and spend so much time before schooling even started, I launched it first on yahoo geocities site, and told everyone via chats about it.. :)
It still lingers on cyber space buddy. Why thank you, I was kind of thinking outside of that as well as a hic cup of accidently writing in spelll books that are synthoids that combinding throughout humans as well... So yeah, all my original thoughts and ideas too. Yeah I had a fear of being stolen after finishing up writing on it, I turned on the tele and noticed a few scripts that were just coiled around what I just pulled up..
But throughout time I accept those in the order up, and forgot why I was so angry at others stealing my work, one of my buddies has been reading it forever on my facebook's account.. I keep sometimes putting it on tumblr as well. Let me know if you want to read it one of these days..

Hey Rob,

i'm still around.....been here since the days of the HTC Hero.

right now i am rocking my z fold 4 and love it. i think the future is in foldables.....can't wait to see what the z fold 5 has in store for us.

been busy with my job as service technician for aquariums and ponds. i use my z fold 4 a lot.....mainly for gps, going from job to job.

glad to see you around.

Reactions: Rob
It's been awhile since I've talked to a lot of you... curious how many people are still around and kickin'?

What's been keeping you busy?
What in the tech world is keeping you interested?
What phone are you rockin' now?
What's goooood?!?!?

We might be making some big changes soon. And when I say big, I mean, like... well... I'll save that for another time.
Oh no not more changes. I still haven't adjusted to the 'modern' forum UI (still miss the vBulletin look). I'm such a curmudgeon and prefer things left alone. But hey, I'm still here. Rocking an S4 Mini on Verizon, and my home is a tribue to the 50s-70s and tech stuck in the year 2009-14. Before flat UI, before the crap happened. Typing this on Vista. To be honest, I'm tired of the lack of competition and the whole tech being homogenized. I want us to return to Android 2.3 and when phones were pretty much made for every kind of person, small screens, sliders, flippers, huge screens, dual screens, etc. Let's make smartphones interesting again! I wonder what kind of dream tech we'd have today if we kept the pace we had going in 2010 going, and not started all this feature removal stuff. Tech has been stagnant sine 2015 and I'm still sick of it. I suppose it's better for the planet since I'm not buying new things anymore, and therefore less resources used, so we have that.

I hope the forum remains up. I am still lamenting the loss of Google+, and have zero interest in social media elsewhere, and the only other forum I can stand is Buggies Gone Wild (I also work on Golf cars) and this is the only other internet area I have interest in, even if phones today are boring bland slabs of glass with nothing new brought to the table.

Still hanging around - lots of work to keep me busy ;).

Not following phones as closely as I sometimes do, in part because my s21 has several years' life left in it so I'm not going to buy anything anytime soon, in part because I don't feel that phones are changing dramatically so it doesn't take much to keep vaguely up with things. In tech stuff I'm possibly paying more attention to photographic kit and energy efficiency/carbon reduction tech at the moment (even going a bit retro, e.g. buying manual focus lenses for use with modern cameras).

Not following phones as closely as I sometimes do

This resonates with me way too much!

Would love to transform this place into a gathering spot where we talk about all sorts of new products and tech coming out... not just phones and not just Android. Would allow us to adapt as a community to our current interests and grow together.

sounds great, anything but apple products......lol
Indeed! Was going to say the same but you beat me to it :D
I'm up for new things...
Honestly, I don't even think there is anything left interesting to talk about with iPhones either. I think phones having revolutionary enhancements is a thing of the past.

The story line of the progression of smart phones runs parallel with the history of personal computers. There comes a time when devices and their advancements aren't enticing to the consumer and the market sags and so does interest. That leaves lots of room for new and exciting tech to be discussed. Why not here.... the family friendly environment that we've all loved?

We're on the downward slope as far as cell phones are concerned...
Now we're looking for that saving grace breakthrough that changes how we communicate.
Not to change the subject, but I looked at the Billboard top 100 for the week, WTF has happened to the music industry???
It's a load of crap and the lyrics are x rated.

The story line of the progression of smart phones runs parallel with the history of personal computers. There comes a time when devices and their advancements aren't enticing to the consumer and the market sags and so does interest. That leaves lots of room for new and exciting tech to be discussed. Why not here.... the family friendly environment that we've all loved?
The reason smartphones got boring is because one day they all decided flat boring UI was in and feature removals was all they could come up with and now every upgrade is a downgrade.

Computers also got too boring. Today a laptop might as well be a MacBook with it being soldered parts on board, non-removable battery and ZERO ports. I don't want thin I want functional!

If we had kept the pace going a bit longer, we'd have holographic display tech by now or at least amazing tech that looks out of science fiction. Instead everyone at the coporations thought it best to return to the mid-1990s functionality wise and UI-wise and never get better afterwards and all of us just took it in the butt (except me who protested by eschewing all modern stuff)

Place a Windows 10 laptop next to a Windows 7 laptop and the one running Windows 7 will always look like the 'upgraded' model to me.

We're on the downward slope as far as cell phones are concerned...
Now we're looking for that saving grace breakthrough that changes how we communicate.
Not to change the subject, but I looked at the Billboard top 100 for the week, WTF has happened to the music industry???
It's a load of crap and the lyrics are x rated.
The music no longer is played by humans today, only algorithms. Change my mind.

Back
Top Bottom