• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][BETA][4.4.4] CyanogenMod 11 for Virgin Mobile and Sprint 6/27/2014

Went through the entire process again. Had to reinstall CWM again for some reason. The link to download the VM ROM actually contains the Sprint ROM.

I get the following error:
This package is for "m3s_sprint_us,m3s,LS696" devices; this is a "m3s_virgin_us".
Error in /sdcard/cm-11-201406026-UNOFFICIAL-vm696.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Upvote 0
updated virgin mobile rom link. Had to use google drive.

Thanks, this download worked. Just installed it (clean install, wiped everything) and it seems quite stable so far.
One major bug still: VM notification doesn't work unless I reboot phone. Any chance of fixing this bug? Thanks.

Edit: The VM notification came on now but took a very long time (5+ minutes). It's better than before, at least :) Edit a day later: the notification takes only a minute or so now. Much improved response time.

Edit 2: There's a switch to turn off the cell radio, so this build may work well as a Media Player only if needed.

Edit 3: Wireless not working? It could just be my router as it didn't allow connections from Sleipnir or AOKP 4.2.2. Anyone else experiencing problems with wireless?

Edit 4: GPS seems to crash and reboots phone about 1 out of 5 times when used through out the day. Hard to reproduce reliably every time (i.e. it doesn't happen if I just open and close Maps 10x in a row, even with a reboot in between). I'm using the version in the OP (6.14.4). Settings->Apps shows Internal Storage: 405MB used, 485MB free. Turning on GPS shows RAM: 250MB used, 144MB free. Obviously, this is when GPS is running fine.

Upvote 0
Thanks, this download worked. Just installed it (clean install, wiped everything) and it seems quite stable so far.
One major bug still: VM notification doesn't work unless I reboot phone. Any chance of fixing this bug? Thanks.

Edit: The VM notification came on now but took a very long time (5+ minutes). It's better than before, at least :) Edit a day later: the notification takes only a minute or so now. Much improved response time.

Edit 2: There's a switch to turn off the cell radio, so this build may work well as a Media Player only if needed.

Edit 3: Wireless not working? It could just be my router as it didn't allow connections from Sleipnir or AOKP 4.2.2. Anyone else experiencing problems with wireless?

Edit 4: GPS seems to crash and reboots phone about 1 out of 5 times when used through out the day. Hard to reproduce reliably every time (i.e. it doesn't happen if I just open and close Maps 10x in a row, even with a reboot in between). I'm using the version in the OP (6.14.4). Settings->Apps shows Internal Storage: 405MB used, 485MB free. Turning on GPS shows RAM: 250MB used, 144MB free. Obviously, this is when GPS is running fine.

This could be caused by the gapps in the link its the wrong version its for 4.4.3 we need 4.4.4 But I will see of my phone will work okay with the 4.4.3 gapps.

Yeah i tested the gapps which work fine so thats not the problem. Anyway I am going back to Slimkat as Xposed still doesn't work sadley. @phenomx4Is this like a log I can get on why xposed is not working

Upvote 0
Thanks Phenomx4. Runs smooth so far. I still have some exploring to do on it.

The only issue I have encountered is not being able to get my calendar to sync up. Any ideas? It's not going to stop my heart so I can keep on truckin' but if anyone has an idea or Phenom, if you have a moment to check, it would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, to those who bought the Awe, do you still feel it's worth it? I saw a lot of poor reviews so it made me hesitate.

Upvote 0
Thanks Phenomx4. Runs smooth so far. I still have some exploring to do on it.

The only issue I have encountered is not being able to get my calendar to sync up. Any ideas? It's not going to stop my heart so I can keep on truckin' but if anyone has an idea or Phenom, if you have a moment to check, it would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, to those who bought the Awe, do you still feel it's worth it? I saw a lot of poor reviews so it made me hesitate.

The phone has a 4/5 on virgins website that good but the phone itself it pretty much the same as the elite spec wise. If you going with VM with your next phone you will probable want something that works on tri band.

Upvote 0
The phone has a 4/5 on virgins website that good but the phone itself it pretty much the same as the elite spec wise. If you going with VM with your next phone you will probable want something that works on tri band.
It has a dual core @ 1.2Ghz , 1GB ram and a Adreno 305 GPU.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I will consider picking one up as it looks like radioshack has it for $40.

One other bug besides the calendar is bluetooth. I flip the switch on and it hangs for a minute and then defaults back to off. It seems like it never really initiates or turns on. Does anyone else experience any of these issues? All else seems pretty snappy. :)

Upvote 0
Played with the GPS some more. After installing the APK in the OP, Maps automatically does an update (version number remains the same). If your Navigation App crashes, try this:
Clear the cache as follows:
Settings->Apps->Maps->Clear cache (I think this cleared Data on the same menu as well. If not, clear it).

To make the system a bit snappier, try the following. First enable Developer Settings as follows:
Settings->About Phone->Build number (tap on it 7 times)
Now go to Settings->Developer Options
Set Background Process Limit to "At most 3 Processes"
Unfortunately, this setting is not sticky and it resets with every reboot. Worth playing with if you have a lot of apps open at the same time. I played with the different options and opened as many Apps as I could. 3 seemed to work the best for my needs. Since the setting is not sticky and I can't be bothered to do it every time the phone reboots/powers up, I stopped playing with it.

Wifi works - just an issue with my router. For some reason, this phone never worked with my router, regardless of which ROM I used. No problem connecting with laptop, tablet, etc.

Only major bug to report now is that Bluetooth doesn't work - same problem as Zbreezy1. The slider switch can be flipped but it never comes on and then goes back to off automatically. A minor bug: The Cell Radio slider doesn't actually turn off the cell radio. This would have been great if we wanted to repurpose the phone as a Media Player later.

BTW, Zbreezy1, my contacts didn't sync up at first (similar to your calendar problem). Here's what I ended up doing:
Go to Settings->Google (under Accounts)
Click on your gmail address. Various apps will be listed. In my case, there was an error by Contacts. If you touch the icon, you will get the option to resync. For some reason, that was the only App that was out of sync. I probably rebooted the phone as it was syncing.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this build. I really liked AOKP 4.2.2 for it's stability (at least for the first 2 months) but this one seems to be snappier and has a nicer interface. I hope the Bluetooth issue can be easily fixed. Thanks for your hard work Phenom!

A noob question: When I was playing with the different settings, I somehow brought up a list of the active Apps. I've done it accidentally a few times, but I can't figure out how I did it. Any ideas? Also, has anyone tried any wifi hotspot apps with this build? I tried Wifi Tether but couldn't get it to work (versions 3.3 or 3.4)

Sorry about the annoying bold and underlining - I figured that those two sections are the most relevant to anyone scanning the posts quickly :D

Upvote 0
Played with the GPS some more. After installing the APK in the OP, Maps automatically does an update (version number remains the same). If your Navigation App crashes, try this:
Clear the cache as follows:
Settings->Apps->Maps->Clear cache (I think this cleared Data on the same menu as well. If not, clear it).

To make the system a bit snappier, try the following. First enable Developer Settings as follows:
Settings->About Phone->Build number (tap on it 7 times)
Now go to Settings->Developer Options
Set Background Process Limit to "At most 3 Processes"
Unfortunately, this setting is not sticky and it resets with every reboot. Worth playing with if you have a lot of apps open at the same time. I played with the different options and opened as many Apps as I could. 3 seemed to work the best for my needs. Since the setting is not sticky and I can't be bothered to do it every time the phone reboots/powers up, I stopped playing with it.

Wifi works - just an issue with my router. For some reason, this phone never worked with my router, regardless of which ROM I used. No problem connecting with laptop, tablet, etc.

Only major bug to report now is that Bluetooth doesn't work - same problem as Zbreezy1. The slider switch can be flipped but it never comes on and then goes back to off automatically. A minor bug: The Cell Radio slider doesn't actually turn off the cell radio. This would have been great if we wanted to repurpose the phone as a Media Player later.

BTW, Zbreezy1, my contacts didn't sync up at first (similar to your calendar problem). Here's what I ended up doing:
Go to Settings->Google (under Accounts)
Click on your gmail address. Various apps will be listed. In my case, there was an error by Contacts. If you touch the icon, you will get the option to resync. For some reason, that was the only App that was out of sync. I probably rebooted the phone as it was syncing.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this build. I really liked AOKP 4.2.2 for it's stability (at least for the first 2 months) but this one seems to be snappier and has a nicer interface. I hope the Bluetooth issue can be easily fixed. Thanks for your hard work Phenom!

A noob question: When I was playing with the different settings, I somehow brought up a list of the active Apps. I've done it accidentally a few times, but I can't figure out how I did it. Any ideas? Also, has anyone tried any wifi hotspot apps with this build? I tried Wifi Tether but couldn't get it to work (versions 3.3 or 3.4)

Sorry about the annoying bold and underlining - I figured that those two sections are the most relevant to anyone scanning the posts quickly :D
The slider for the radio only turns off mobile data and not the radio. That's what airplane mode is for. I'll take a look at bluetooth and for the recent apps are you talking about holding the home button for a few seconds?

Upvote 0
The slider for the radio only turns off mobile data and not the radio. That's what airplane mode is for. I'll take a look at bluetooth and for the recent apps are you talking about holding the home button for a few seconds?

Thanks for the info on the slider. I was hoping it turned off the radio. Many thanks for looking into the Bluetooth issue. Yes, holding the home button brings up the Apps - I did not know that. Learned something new :)

Upvote 0
this is probably the wrong place to ask about this but I was hoping that one of you could help point me in the right direction for my solution..... I am loving this new 4.4.4 CM11 rom & want to keep it for a while, but I don't like the MMS app with the bubble conversation feature, in the past I have always just pulled an old MMS.apk from an earlier rom & replaced the rom's mms.apk with it & never had any issues. But i haven't been able to get any of my older MMS versions, that DO NOT have the Bubble Conversation feature, to work on this new rom. Does anyone know where I could get an MMS that does not have that feature & would work on this newest version of cm11? or could someone take an old apk and mod it to work on 4.4.4? any help is much appreciated....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones