• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][JULY 25TH 2012][V20B]Karendar's custom Shine Plus ROM R4 with OC Kernel!

I checked the LGMobile Support tool and it says that 20a is the most recent version, so it looks like I'll have to go the custom route.

So I can just follow the instructions starting from the "Preparing the application for use" part? Sorry, this was my first time flashing a rom and I still don't know much.

Should the phone be off during the process or on? And does it put the phone into a factory reset state after it updates?

EDIT: The phone is rooted again, with superuser, but it seems to not work, and now the computer no longer recognizes the phone when it becomes connected. I cannot get a superuser request when using "su" in terminal emulator and cannot verify root with root check anymore. This is strange, because just a few minutes ago, when I had just finished re-rooting, everything was working fine.

Upvote 0
Sorry for double-posting, but i thought it would be awkward to make yet another edit. I simply re-rooted and re-installed the recovery software, and now I have the rom flashed.

I reflashed your rom, and am now on v20b, but the installer still crashes every time I start it up. I'm not sure what's going on.

I've tried re-downloading and re-flashing your rom, but the apps installer continues to crash.

I have a Telus Shine Plus, if that makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Sorry for double-posting, but i thought it would be awkward to make yet another edit. I simply re-rooted and re-installed the recovery software, and now I have the rom flashed.

I reflashed your rom, and am now on v20b, but the installer still crashes every time I start it up. I'm not sure what's going on.

I've tried re-downloading and re-flashing your rom, but the apps installer continues to crash.

I have a Telus Shine Plus, if that makes a difference.

Hi,

I'm actually doing a phone upgrade right now to test it out. Don't know why installer would crash like that on start up... Have you tried a factory reset through recovery?

Upvote 0
I just wanted to add my 2 cents.. Finally decided to play with my shine now that v20b arrived and the phone stopped sucking.
I updated via the LG software without a problem, installed the clockwork recovery (though it's not recognized by the ROM manger app)
I had a full ROM and app back-ups ready to go, wiped clean and then installed the R4 without a problem, but once I went into the android market and started to get titanium to re-install all my apps, any attempt for the market to install an app rebooted the device.
As soon as I restored everything returned to normal, but I haven't gotten to enjoy this ROM yet as a result :(

Upvote 0
Ok, so there seems to be a problem that occurs after the flashing process that causes the apps installer to crash.

I flashed the rom and then re-cleared the cache and davlik cache without reflashing the rom, and now everything is working properly.

The major issue I have is that the battery is not calibrated, I think staying on a messed up 2.3.3 for a few months messed up the phone. The battery drains very quickly, fluctuates up and down, and when it finally dies at "0", I can restart the phone and I will be able to use it for another 10 minutes before it dies again.

It seems like the phone is reading the battery percentages incorrectly? I had this problem on my jailbroken iPod Touch 4G as well, but I've come to the conclusion that it's a rare problem after trying to dig through the internet for info.

Upvote 0
Ok, so there seems to be a problem that occurs after the flashing process that causes the apps installer to crash.

I flashed the rom and then re-cleared the cache and davlik cache without reflashing the rom, and now everything is working properly.

The major issue I have is that the battery is not calibrated, I think staying on a messed up 2.3.3 for a few months messed up the phone. The battery drains very quickly, fluctuates up and down, and when it finally dies at "0", I can restart the phone and I will be able to use it for another 10 minutes before it dies again.

It seems like the phone is reading the battery percentages incorrectly? I had this problem on my jailbroken iPod Touch 4G as well, but I've come to the conclusion that it's a rare problem after trying to dig through the internet for info.

Some android phones have issues with their fuel gauge chip. This phone is one of them, sadly... Only way I've found to circumvent this is to charge the battery with an external charger. Considering I own three of these devices now, I have some experience with the issue. But I've come to consider this as an Android thing, considering my Galaxy S2 does the same thing. ;)

Upvote 0
I just wanted to add my 2 cents.. Finally decided to play with my shine now that v20b arrived and the phone stopped sucking.
I updated via the LG software without a problem, installed the clockwork recovery (though it's not recognized by the ROM manger app)
I had a full ROM and app back-ups ready to go, wiped clean and then installed the R4 without a problem, but once I went into the android market and started to get titanium to re-install all my apps, any attempt for the market to install an app rebooted the device.
As soon as I restored everything returned to normal, but I haven't gotten to enjoy this ROM yet as a result :(

The ROM does in fact seem to have market issues. I'm thinking it's due to the fact that the old ROM works with the old Android market and the new one works with Play Market. It seems to cause some confusion with the data, which messes up the market. I'll try and implement a fix for it in the next release, I just don't know when I'll have time, sadly. The fix would be this: Update ROM to latest Play Market and add a script to delete market data when flashing (Mount data partition, delete the right data folder, unmount)

Upvote 0
Some android phones have issues with their fuel gauge chip. This phone is one of them, sadly... Only way I've found to circumvent this is to charge the battery with an external charger. Considering I own three of these devices now, I have some experience with the issue. But I've come to consider this as an Android thing, considering my Galaxy S2 does the same thing. ;)

Hmm, this is actually my sister's phone, and I simply did everything for her because she doesn't know that much about technology. She always charges with her wall charger, and her battery life is still really bad. Is there any fix for this? My iPod had a similar problem and no one could help me fix it.
Thanks again,

Upvote 0
After flashing, I simply cleared cache and davlik cache and everything works fine now. Is this a safe solution?

Yes, it's a safe solution. No worries there! The only thing I would have done more is go in Settings, Applications, All apps, find Play Store or Android Market (Or market) and clear data...

As for the battery issue, there isn't much you can do other than replace the battery, I'm afraid... Someone has posted on the main forum a seller on ebay that supplies batteries for this phone. I've ordered one, as it apparently gives pretty good battery life! I do know my custom ROM seems to be nicer on the battery side because of a few tweaks compiled into it also... Otherwise, I'm limited on what I can offer to help.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a safe solution. No worries there! The only thing I would have done more is go in Settings, Applications, All apps, find Play Store or Android Market (Or market) and clear data...

As for the battery issue, there isn't much you can do other than replace the battery, I'm afraid... Someone has posted on the main forum a seller on ebay that supplies batteries for this phone. I've ordered one, as it apparently gives pretty good battery life! I do know my custom ROM seems to be nicer on the battery side because of a few tweaks compiled into it also... Otherwise, I'm limited on what I can offer to help.

Ok, thanks for all of the help, this is an awesome rom and this phone feels better than new. Do you have an estimate of when R5 might come out?

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks for all of the help, this is an awesome rom and this phone feels better than new. Do you have an estimate of when R5 might come out?

No ETA's as of yet, I don't have much time to work on it... And most of what I'll do is cosmetic fixes if I do release R5, haven't done any kernel work.

**EDIT** Found a workaround for auto brightness until I can figure out why the liblights are broken, but enabling it breaks brightness control. I'll supply it as a secondary patch to add to the ROM. And also managed to implement ICS transition animation inside the ROM... I think I'll integrate it in the next release.

Upvote 0
Found a way to disable fast dormancy in our ROM. Fast Dormancy is a feature that's not activated on most carriers and has a tendency to drain battery when the carrier doesn't support it. I'll post a guide later this week to get Fast Dormancy deactivated. It really stops the phone from doing alot of wake states which drains battery needlessly.

Hopefully it'll help... If not, eh. Was worth a shot. ;)

Upvote 0
I have another question, would running the V6 supercharger script have any noticeable effect on the rom?

The kernel doesn't support everything in V6 supercharger and I cannot confirm or warrant that it'll work, so trying is at your own risk and perils. ;) I wouldn't see why it'd be an issue though! If it doesn't work, just boot into recovery (Vol down + home + Power) and flash ROM back or factory reset (Or restore the CWM backup you did, which I recommend most)

Upvote 0
There seems to be another bug, when I reboot the phone or turn it back on after draining the battery, I keep on getting "process ****** has stopped" messages, which only goes away after I clear the cache and davlik cache. It usually gives me a lot of notifications involving random apps like gallery and phone, but those only appear once. However, I keep on getting the messages for the android process. The messages render the phone unusable because they pop up within one second of being closed. Is this something wrong with my phone or the ROM?

EDIT: Lol I didn't realize that I put "won't go away" before. It goes away after clearing the two caches.

Upvote 0
There seems to be another bug, when I reboot the phone or turn it back on after draining the battery, I keep on getting "process ****** has stopped" messages, which won't go away after I clear the cache and davlik cache. It usually gives me a lot of notifications involving random apps like gallery and phone, but those only appear once. However, I keep on getting the messages for the android process. The messages render the phone unusable because they pop up within one second of being closed. Is this something wrong with my phone or the ROM?

Mine does this once in a while too. I only need to clear dalvik cache and reboot again and it works fine.

Upvote 0
Hi Karendar, I leave the forum for three months only to return and find that you and Jparasite have been very busy boys creating the new and improved LG Shine Plus. Awesome work guys. BTW, I don't know if you are aware that our beloved Shine Plus is being offered for sale at Future Shop for $79 on a Telus Pay as you Go plan, most likely due to the new life that you guys have brought to this phone.

How do I go about giving your R4 ROM a try? Is the Clockwork Recovery and ROOTING now incorporated into the R4 ROM, and do you still have Nuance Voice Control which is still very important to me?

I am running Android version 2.3.3 Kernel version 2.6.35.7-perf+ vinod.ramani@si-rd10-BLD168#1 GRI40 Software version LG-C710h-V20b and Amon Recovery Ver 3.06 and Link2sd.

I am hoping that I can flash your R4 ROM still using Amon Recovery. I assume that once the R4 ROM is installed that you then can launch into Clockwork Recovery by holding the Vol-+ Home + Power buttons on the LG Shine Plus (as we did with Amon).

Looking forward to your reply and as always thanks to you in advance.

Upvote 0
The Amon Recovery will still work fine to flash this Rom. You would need to Root and change the Recovery yourself if you wanted to use Clockwork prior to installing the newer rom, but I never bothered. Amon seems to work well for me. Never used Voice Control so I can't help you there.
Just to be sure that I fully understand and follow what you are saying (please be patient with me) as I am new to this Custom ROM scene all I have to do is as follows:

(1) I am rooted (Ginger break 2.3.3) running stock Android 2.3.3 v20b
(2) Performed a Nandroid Backup using Amon Recovery v3.0.6
(3) Performed a Full Backup using Titanium Backup Pro
(4) Download Karendar's R4 Zip file from Page 1 of this thread, unzip (on my PC) and install the files to the / directory of my SD Card and Flash using Amon Recovery
(5) Result new R4 Custom ROM should be installed with Clockwork Recovery and no further rooting required

If I am wrong in any of my steps, please set me on the right path.

Looking forward to your reply and as always thanks to you in advance.

Upvote 0
I've been meaning to write a whole new tutorial step by step to get the phone rooted + clockworkmod + Custom ROM... Because info is pretty spread out right now. But yeah, copy zip to SD card, flash with Amon RA, rince, recycle, repeat.

Just keep in mind that Link2SD will probably be broken after flashing custom ROM... Might have to be reinstalled. I currently use app2sd instead of link2sd, faster and less of a hassle... But it's not beginner friendly sadly. ;)

I hardly have any time for the forum as of late... It's pretty dead anyways! hehe.

As for the Future Shop 79$ deal, yeah... I bought one for my mom and it had v20a on it. I flashed v20b on it so quickly I didn't even boot it for more than 2 minutes on v20a!

And for Nuance, yes they fixed it (Tested english and french, works for me) and it is in my ROM too...

Upvote 0
This is very strange, but I seem to have forgotten how to get into recovery. Lol I spent time on other devices and forgot. Is the button combo volume-down and power? It doesn't seem to work anymore. I've tried the reboot recovery option from the power menu, and reboot recovery with su in terminal emulator. Nothing seems to work. How could a recovery disappear like that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones