• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Manager Question?

first off i would not use rom manager for anything. it was such a disaster for me when i first rooted that i have not touched it since. you should be doing everything in manually in recovery anyways. amon ra 2.3 is a good recovery to use, but it will not be compatible with rom manager as it is the front end of clockwork mod.

Reactions: Buckeye101
Upvote 0
first off i would not use rom manager for anything. it was such a disaster for me when i first rooted that i have not touched it since. you should be doing everything in manually in recovery anyways. amon ra 2.3 is a good recovery to use, but it will not be compatible with rom manager as it is the front end of clockwork mod.
Just because you've had a bad experience with ROM Manager or ClockworkMod recovery doesn't mean everyone else will. I have been using both apps for quite a while on several android devices and have seen no problems yet.

Reactions: catty666
Upvote 0
ok agreed that most people probably are doing ok with rom manager. however, i have seen many times on this forum that people were having issues with it as well. granted that was awhile ago, but that has been my observation. if you are having great success with rom manager then that is great. but i really like amon ra 2.3 and i am glad that i have made the switch.

one thing about apps like rom manager and the new kernel manager is that it makes people lazy. people need to learn and be able to do everything manually in recovery. you never know when things go wrong and all you have is your recovery.

Reactions: ardchoille
Upvote 0
I use Clockwork on both my Hero and my Evo. I have had no issues with either. Yes it makes you lazy but if your like me and just don,t have the time to geek out learning it the hard way Clockwork is great. I am running CM7 and love it. But I have a hectic work schedule and credit card crippling car habit so Clockwork is a blessing for me. If I really get stuck I fall back on these forums or XDA, I know some pro on one of these sites will help me figure it out.

Upvote 0
I use Clockwork on both my Hero and my Evo. I have had no issues with either. Yes it makes you lazy but if your like me and just don,t have the time to geek out learning it the hard way Clockwork is great. I am running CM7 and love it. But I have a hectic work schedule and credit card crippling car habit so Clockwork is a blessing for me. If I really get stuck I fall back on these forums or XDA, I know some pro on one of these sites will help me figure it out.

Clockwork is a recovery software and actually doesn't make anything easier than it's alternative which is AmonRA. If anything - I find AmonRA easier. Unless of course you are using Rom Manager or some program that makes things easier that doesn't work without clockwork. :eek:

Jack

Upvote 0
well there is the lazyness coming through....lol. I use the terms "Clockwork Mod" and "Rom Manager" as interchangeable terms, even though they are not. It is in fact Rom Manager that is installed on my phones. To tell the truth even though I have read a lot about Amon Ra, Rom Manager has always worked fine for me so I have never seen any reason to change.

Upvote 0
The first phone I rooted was an LG Optimus S and the only recovery method is manual so it just feels natural for me to use Amon Ra. It has always worked well for me with no problems and really isn't that difficult to use. You can get to recovery by typing "reboot recovery " in Terminal Emulator without having to press the power and volume down buttons. Haha, I wouldn't be comfortable using any other method. ;)

Upvote 0
Quick question can I use ROM Manager to put a recovery onto a phone that is rooted but has no recovery?

I don't think you can since rom manager is the front side of clockwork mod. You can get the recovery you need in ref#1 of my sig. instruction are on that page as well on how to install it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
I don't think you can since rom manager is the front side of clockwork mod. You can get the recovery you need in ref#1 of my sig. instruction are on that page as well on how to install it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Rom manager has flash recovery and alternate recovery options so I believe the answer is.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones