• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] rubiX Focused 1.0 by drod2169

I have tried to install this twice. It installs fine, but when I try to restore Data I boot loop on the animation. The second time I made a Nandroid of RubiX, full restored to my old Nandroid and restored System of the RubiX. I got the same bootloop. My current Rom is the first release of RubiX with some custom mods. Anyone know why it would bootloop on a data restore?

This one is significantly different code than the previous versions of rubiX (and even more different than other installs/ROMS/etc.).

You're restoring stuff that doesn't belong to this ROM.

I have an easy solution for you. Set it up from scratch. I know it's a pain, but it's worth it. If wiping data wasn't required, it wouldn't be a step in the installation instructions.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... :(
Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Aha! That explains a LOT! I installed through ROM manager, selected to clear cache and data and my apps were still there. Perhaps I'll try it again.

One question: Why is the pull-down bar white? Are you leaving that to be a theme over the RubiX??

Actually, keep in mind that if during setup, you checked the box for "Google Data Backup" (Think that's right).. that your apps will automatically be downloaded again when you open market for the first time (Should get a notification that states "## apps restored"). This is a feature of Android 2.2, and is why I ALWAYS recommend being on wireless if possible before you first open market after installing/changing ROMs... (Also, after you open market for the first time.. you're going to want to give your phone some time to do it's thing... it may be a little sluggish while it finishes setting up, etc. Not the best time to reboot either.. :p

Now, it's not perfect. But between that, and appbrain (if you use it).. you can very easily get your apps back. (WITHOUT restoring /data **cough** Pointguard1122 **cough** ;)

The pulldown notification area was made transparent, and left white (as close to vanilla/AOSP as possible), and there are themes planed, and already someoen has stated that they're working on a black bar mode for rubiX Focused 1.0.

Good questions!

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
bleh, if you use any battery widget, it's fine. Just the notification bar.
talking to DRod about it... patch probably not far out.

So just the default battery indicator then? I use Battery Life widget, it will still pull the battery usage in 10s instead of 20s?

If so then I can deal with that.....never look at the battery icon on the notification bar.

Upvote 0
So just the default battery indicator then? I use Battery Life widget, it will still pull the battery usage in 10s instead of 20s?

If so then I can deal with that.....never look at the battery icon on the notification bar.

Haven't tried Battery Life Widget. I can assure you that Guage Battery Widget does indeed work at 10%'s instead of 20%'s.
My understanding of the issue, is that it's the way the battery life indicator in the Notfication bar is coded, NOT the way the system is reporting it... so I feel fairly confident that you should be good.

Upvote 0
Is there a blurry version for 1.0 if not can someone post the link to .5 blurry, I just love my quick contacts and blur news reader nothing compares and I don't think I can just install the apk and it would work. Correct me if im wrong though

I'm pretty sure you're right, most of the messaging/contacts/etc. blur stuff is SO integrated... it's not that simple.

Unfortunately, Blurry 0.3 is the latest version. Posted about this earlier here:
[ROM] TWO roms?? This guy's crazy! - Page 29 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Short answer, I don't know what drod has in mind for Blurry, but haven't heard anything about testing, or any changes in mind... ?

Upvote 0
I really like this ROM (it's basically exactly what I wanted when I got the Droid X), but I have gotten really used to the Swype keyboard. Is there any way to reinstall it? I have the apk for Swype from the Droid X, but when I click on it using Astro, it doesn't have an option to install it. Any way I can restore it using Titanium backup? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Reinstalled RubiX and restored my apps via TibuPro.

The Good:

It's fast. I got 1385 score.

The not so Good:

1) The multi-touch keyboard has no mic
2) Voice on the swype does not work.
3) The google search doesn't seem to be the new voice one.

Am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
Nevermind. I think it was already installed, but I just didn't realize it. However the link above for the camera from motoblur isn't working. Does anyone have a working link?

Yea, comes with swype!

Regarding camera...
Sorry, I should have posted on these forums (post made it to others...)

The camera file has been pulled from ROM Manager because the fixed AOSP 8MP camera is available now in ROM Manager:

Fixed 8MP AOSP Camera:
http://www.sephtin.com/rubiX/rubixFocused-PATCH-AOSPCamera.zip

Note: It's not at first obvious how to change the Picture Size setting. When in the camera, the top right icon is settings, tap it, and SCROLL down.. there are a TON of options there! Look for picture size to change the size of your pics.

If you really do want the motoblur one back, it's an option as well. Link here:
http://www.sephtin.com/rubiX/UNOFFICIAL-rubixFocused-PATCH-BlurCamera.zip

Note: they will over-write each other.. so pick which one you want. (You can always change your mind and install the other one later....

Upvote 0
Reinstalled RubiX and restored my apps via TibuPro.

The Good:

It's fast. I got 1385 score.

The not so Good:

1) The multi-touch keyboard has no mic
2) Voice on the swype does not work.
3) The google search doesn't seem to be the new voice one.

Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure you have google search, and voice search installed from market. It's a very vanilla ROM.

Upvote 0
So, my initial impressions are I am impressed...really impressed. I thought I had fallen in love with Blur until I realized how unimportant it is. I'll play around with it for a few days and report back. I just wish someone would come up with a way to not only restore apps - but restore where they go - because I'm getting tired of moving things all over again, and re-DL'ing apps

Upvote 0
got it... and the multi touch keyboard keyboard not having a mic?

EDIT: I have google voice search working but I don't have a mic on my multi touch keyboard. That's a biggie for me.

Try the other keyboard?

Time Saving paste from other threads. ;)
Can do it via ROM Manager, or direct link:
ROM Manager > Download ROM> DRod2169> CHANGE OPTIONS...> Download button>
then select which keyboard you want, and which camera you want, and hit ok to reboot and install.

Direct Download:

Cameras:
http://www.sephtin.com/rubiX/rubixFocused-PATCH-AOSPCamera.zip
http://www.sephtin.com/rubiX/rubixFocused-PATCH-DefaultFocusedCamera.zip

Keyboards:
http://www.sephtin.com/rubiX/rubixFocused-PATCH-AOSPKeyboard.zip
http://www.sephtin.com/rubiX/rubixFocused-PATCH-DefaultFocusedKeyboard.zip

Im afraid that the 2 keyboards (and swype) are all that are available currently for the ROM that are tested and known stable. There are lots out there, including market apps, etc. The goodness of choice.

Reactions: cooldasher
Upvote 0
Be careful using any Backup App and choosing data AND app, there is always the chance by choosing data as well you can pull something incompatible back from another ROM. Choose apps first then try data as a one by one basis or just enter your passwords/info again manually.

yea, it is necessary. i was worried about having to do this too before i installed zapX, but it really isn't that bad. just make sure to backup with Titanium Backup Pro (back up "all user apps") and once the ROMs installed restore "all apps and data". after that i really didn't have to do much. just speed dial and ringtones and other little things here and there.

Upvote 0
Another suggestion that I have made dozens of times is to install the Rom fresh with wiping data/cache then adding back bootstrap/Rom Manager and making a clean backup. You will always have a Virgin backup to fall back to, I also then dl all my apps and set the phone up and once again make a backup and call it RomName_naked, now I am ready to theme...if I change a theme I ALWAYS use this backup then to apply a new theme so there is nothing from the old theme to screw up the install.

Just my $.02 but this makes for less issues and really only takes 10 minutes or so to make backups, time well spent to have your phone run as good as possible.

Reactions: sephtin
Upvote 0
Another suggestion that I have made dozens of times is to install the Rom fresh with wiping data/cache then adding back bootstrap/Rom Manager and making a clean backup. You will always have a Virgin backup to fall back to, I also then dl all my apps and set the phone up and once again make a backup and call it RomName_naked, now I am ready to theme...if I change a theme I ALWAYS use this backup then to apply a new theme so there is nothing from the old theme to screw up the install.

Just my $.02 but this makes for less issues and really only takes 10 minutes or so to make backups, time well spent to have your phone run as good as possible.

indeed. This is EXACTLY what I do when switching major versions of a ROM, or trying a new/different ROM. I start from scratch. It's more effort.. but worth it.

I'd guess that over 90% of issues from ROM installs, have been self inflicted. Incompatible theme, didn't clear data/cache in the first place, tried to restore, etc.

When testing is done on the ROMs, it's done via a clean install, not via a clean install + data/cache, restores, of users data and configs. Especially when going from one install to another, who knows what you could get.

Thumbs up FSR, I couldn't agree more!

Upvote 0
I installed the ROM fresh last night,wiped the data and cache, my friend did the same thing also, now neither one of use can charge via USB, when we plug in the phones to our comps the phone doesn't even say its connected so the menu for "Mass Storage" or "Charging" doesn't appear on the notification bar. We have the the latest moto drivers and everything, is there something we're supposed to turn on or something?

Upvote 0
Be careful using any Backup App and choosing data AND app, there is always the chance by choosing data as well you can pull something incompatible back from another ROM. Choose apps first then try data as a one by one basis or just enter your passwords/info again manually.

well data for the apps. not system data. app data shouldn't pose an issue.

Upvote 0
I installed the ROM fresh last night,wiped the data and cache, my friend did the same thing also, now neither one of use can charge via USB, when we plug in the phones to our comps the phone doesn't even say its connected so the menu for "Mass Storage" or "Charging" doesn't appear on the notification bar. We have the the latest moto drivers and everything, is there something we're supposed to turn on or something?

Did you solve this? I've never heard of such a thing happening! More info, did it fix itself? Rebooting did or didn't fix? ?

First time hearing of this.. just in case someone else runs across it, the more info you can provide, the better.

Upvote 0
You should be able to.

I guess I was just worried what would happen to all of the themed blur stuff.

Hey - we are gonna win this thing BTW...Hughes comes up big tomorrow

EDIT....This did not work well. The phone got really hot, it had no service, and there were blur apps which began to appear again. Just an FYI...anyone know of themes confirmed to work?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones