• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [rom] Stock Rooted Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) ROM Update GPA14

Been running GPA14 since the first hours after Pete released it, and his LV1.1Ghz kernel, and have to say it has run essentially flawlessly for me. The only anomaly I have noticed is my signal strength seems to fluctuate, and the market seems to have a hard time working over wifi. Other than that, it has been a very solid build, one that could carry me to a tegra2 :)

21 April anyone?

Upvote 0
I have noticed one bug on GPA14. First of all I did wipe several times before installing.

When my alarm goes off I've been able to push the volume rocker to turn it off. Been able to up to GPA13. But now in 14 this doesn't work, I have to push the button on the screen.

I'm using the default alarm. Other than that no problems at all.

Upvote 0
I have noticed one bug on GPA14. First of all I did wipe several times before installing.

When my alarm goes off I've been able to push the volume rocker to turn it off. Been able to up to GPA13. But now in 14 this doesn't work, I have to push the button on the screen.

I'm using the default alarm. Other than that no problems at all.

I read somewhere that pete disabled this by default and that you can just re-enable the hardware buttons via settings.

Upvote 0
This includes the SMS/Text message bug fix that was issued with 2.2.2. Unless you have that bug or have had that problem I don't know that 14 changes much.

i'm not sure what exactly changed from 13 to 14, but 13 ran terribly on my phone and i had to get rid of it. 14 has run smoother for me that any ROM i've ever flashed, so i would say pete changed way more that some SMS issue with this build.

Upvote 0
What exactly was the SMS issue?

Simply put, when some people tried to send text/MMS messages they would pick a contact and it would show the right name but associate the wrong number causing it to be sent to the wrong person.

Not everyone had it that I know of. I never did, but a friend of mine always had to double check that the number and name matched whenever he started a new text message thread.

***Would really suck if your one of those guys that keep several girlfriends at one time***:eek:

Upvote 0
Interesting, is this only the stock messaging app or Google Voice also?

Simply put, when some people tried to send text/MMS messages they would pick a contact and it would show the right name but associate the wrong number causing it to be sent to the wrong person.

Not everyone had it that I know of. I never did, but a friend of mine always had to double check that the number and name matched whenever he started a new text message thread.

***Would really suck if your one of those guys that keep several girlfriends at one time***:eek:

Upvote 0
Thought with his memory/app issues that he fixed that I would finally be golden on a gingerbread app....no such luck yet again

3G is still a hassle, after making a phone call I have to constantly turn on and off airplane mode to get any use of my phone back, and with his rom I had tons of problems even making phone calls, would pick a contact and it would never show the dialing screen, it was totally black, but still making a phone call, no way to end the call, hang up, hit numbers, nothing and even after killing all the tasks the phone call still wouldnt stop, I had to pull the battery.

I have no idea whats going on with my phone and gingerbread but I think I'm just not gonna be able to use it, I'm still surprised no one has ironed out the 3G issues with making phone calls and who knows whats up with the phone call issues I had with this rom, no other rom did that, but alas I am again back on UD2.5 as no gingerbread rom has worked well enough for me to keep using it

Sucks that no one is making better Froyo roms anymore as that is the official last version of the updates the original droid is getting anyways, this hacked gingerbread stuff just isnt working for me and it probably never will, of course it was never meant for this phone anyways ;)

Upvote 0
Thought with his memory/app issues that he fixed that I would finally be golden on a gingerbread app....no such luck yet again

3G is still a hassle, after making a phone call I have to constantly turn on and off airplane mode to get any use of my phone back, and with his rom I had tons of problems even making phone calls, would pick a contact and it would never show the dialing screen, it was totally black, but still making a phone call, no way to end the call, hang up, hit numbers, nothing and even after killing all the tasks the phone call still wouldnt stop, I had to pull the battery.

I have no idea whats going on with my phone and gingerbread but I think I'm just not gonna be able to use it, I'm still surprised no one has ironed out the 3G issues with making phone calls and who knows whats up with the phone call issues I had with this rom, no other rom did that, but alas I am again back on UD2.5 as no gingerbread rom has worked well enough for me to keep using it

Sucks that no one is making better Froyo roms anymore as that is the official last version of the updates the original droid is getting anyways, this hacked gingerbread stuff just isnt working for me and it probably never will, of course it was never meant for this phone anyways ;)

On the 3G issue, realize that there has yet to be a CDMA version of gingerbread released. There are no drivers or firmware specifically designed for the Verizon phones 3G radios (though rumor says droid x & 2 versions are coming). The current fix is a sort of workaround that all of the dev are using which is why you may be having this problem with all of the ROMs you have tried. This is what I have understood the problem to be.

One can hope that when GB is released for the newer droid X & 2 that the devs can retrofit the firmware to work on our droids. Also I have noticed more of an issue with my 3G returning on GPA14 versus 13 but that may just be me.

Upvote 0
Well that explains a few things, still not sure why the rom wouldnt let me make calls properly otherwise, havent run into a GB rom yet that works with my phone properly, I'm really surprised that all the focus is on this when you actually cant get a proper version out yet for CDMA phones, would have liked Froyo updates and tweaks to keep coming but none of those roms have been updated for months now really, a lot of people just cant run GB on their Droids no matter what they try (like myself) and I gotta go back to Froyo roms that still have some issues.

Hopefully a CDMA version can be worked out once the other phones get this version and that it fixes these problems for me, cant justify putting a rom on a phone that you constantly have to reset 3G to do anything with it, I make a lot of phone calls during the day and its a waste of time, at least Pete fixed the memory issue, had no closing of apps anymore but the 3G issue is just too much to worry about right now with these roms

Upvote 0
does gpa 14 give u the option like bugless beast to hide the numbers tht are frequently called?

To my knowledge no it doesn't. GPA is a true stock ROM with no customization. It is designed after the concept of what Verizon would put out if they did a GB update.

Bugless Beast is more of a customized ROM with stock feel so it has more bells and whistles. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
First off, let me say that I love, love, love this ROM! I think my Droid is running faster and smoother now than when I first bought it! The only issue I'm having is that I cannot get my work email (on an Exchange 2003 server) at all.

It has worked in every other version of Android and every other ROM I've ever tried, but not since I installed this one. I've tried the stock email app and Touchdown. Both just get stuck during configuration when it tries to connect.

Does anyone else have this problem or have any ideas of what I can try to fix it?

Thanks,
Mike

Upvote 0
I haven't flashed a new ROM or kernel in quite a while as I was pretty pleased with my Lithium Mod - Blue Theme w/ 1.1Ghz. BUT...I bought my fiancee a Thunderbolt last week for her birthday...

BAD IDEA!!! I have fallen in love with it and can't wait to upgrade my Droid, which is sadly no time soon.

Anyway...to cope for now I figured that I would flash Alfonso's GPA14 w/ 1.2Ghz. No problems at all so far in the brief time since I flashed, which was painless. Very slick and smooth...giving that "new phone" feeling. But as others have said, you do miss the options and tweaks of a more customized ROM. It feels very buttoned up and solid tho...so nice job!

If I do end up having some problems like the ones mentioned above, or others...I'll reflash with the packaged 600Mhz kernel and try to isolate what exactly is going on to report back here.

- Anthony
Moto Droid
GPA14
1.2Ghz
ADW

Upvote 0
Just realized that on my GPA14 install, the My Verizon app refuses to launch. It just hangs on the splash screen. Uninstall/reinstall, several reboots along the way as well, to no avail. Anyone else having this issue?

My works fine over 3g, but not so well on wifi. I have some of the same problems when I use it on wifi, but I think my problem is with the app because one of the updates said it was fixing the wifi access (which it appears to have broken on a previous update). Don't know if that help you, but hope it does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones