• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Uncommon Sense (v1.1) Release!

One thing I noticed wiht this is that the Track Ball wake function does not work all the time. Sometimes I press it once and it wakes and others I need to press and hold it to wake. Not sure what would cause that.

I was also wondering if there is a wat to port the slide wake piece to the call answer. It would look better if both of them were Left to Right instead of one lft-rgt and the other up-down.

Just a thought!

Upvote 0
One thing I noticed with this is that the Track Ball wake function does not work all the time. Sometimes I press it once and it wakes and others I need to press and hold it to wake. Not sure what would cause that. ....
It's a known issue, I believe hardware specific. If the phone was recently turned off a single press will wake it. If it's been asleep for a while then a few pushes are necessary.

Upvote 0
Only thing I don't like so far is the App Folders screen being kinda slow to load and then scroll initially. If I open it up then go to scroll to the bottom, it's laggy until it finally knows everything that's in there. Kind of like there's no cache or something. Slightly irritating, but I don't go in the app folder that much anyways so whatevs. Also, MixZing is not able to load my EMMC files where I store all my music since I only have a 2GB SD card. I prefer MixZing since it has an EQ (I'm aware this ROM has the DSPManager app) that's easy to use and has a few more options, and it just looks better than music mod to me. If these 2 minor issues were corrected, I'd keep this ROM on no questions asked. At the moment, I'm still debating going back to the Sense ROM I had on prior to this. Haven't cared enough to bother with it though, since Uncommon is working good enough.

Also, Quadrant scores seem a bit lower than what I was getting. I think I hit a high of 14xx with the Sense Lite I was running, and I can only get 12xx with this. Not sure if there's anything I can do to better that, or if it even means anything in the first place.

Upvote 0
I like this rom. It's faster than skyraider vanilla. But not as fast as any aosp rom.

It looks very polished and clean, good effort was put into making it look good. Looks like it could have came from a factory install.

I like how it has access to emmc.

Good features, like dsp manager. I like the transparency on the widgets, and the new font.

It's a very good balance between the speed of an aosp rom and the features of a sense based rom.

I'm running it on Kings Kernel BFS #5 and I get 1500 on Quadrant.

For the people having trouble with the Wake-on-Optical Joystick function, I think it was meant to be a hold not just a quick press. It works all the time for me that way.

Upvote 0
New to this ROM and loving it so far but I have one newb question .....

The modded music application plays both my music and any ringtones or sounds associated with installed games ... is there a way I can have it ignore these files? Maybe move them to a certain folder or something? Or do I need to get another music app to accomplish this?

Upvote 0
After using this rom for a few days, I might have to back to my previous rom, Shadow rom, an AOSP rom.

Don't get me wrong, Uncommon Sense is a really good rom. It's probably the fastest Sense based rom. Battery life was good using this rom. But once I used an AOSP rom, it's hard to go back. AOSP roms are just faster at everything, especially web browsing.

Bottom line, if you like the look and feel of Sense apps and widgets, go with this rom. If it's speed you're after, try an AOSP rom.

Upvote 0
I just rooted yesterday and installed this ROM. Very nice additions while still being very Sense.

One question, when charging my phone has an "ADB" in the notification bar. I assume that is just another name for debugging mode. Why doesn't my phone sleep during charging? I rebooted while plugged in and the awake/sleep time where identical after fully charged 3-4 hours later.

Upvote 0
any in particular?

So far I like Shadow Rom the most. It has a lot of customization options (like black color status bar, and any color notification test), and built in overclocking (no setcpu needed).

Key features are 8MP camera (some AOSP roms don't have that), Music Mod and Gallery can read the internal storage (the 8 GB). And it's FAST. I've also tried Ruby rom from ccroms, they are roughly the same speed, but Ruby only has 3MP camera. Wifi also works in Shadow rom (again some AOSP roms don't have that).

Only thing is I wished that the Incognito theme would be ported to Shadow rom for HTC Incredible. Kickass theme. (Ruby rom has that theme for HTC Incredible).

Upvote 0
Hey just noticed something with this rom. It may be an isolated case, because I haven't seen it talked about yet. Every time I try to open messages it has to FC the message program. If I try to SMS from a contact page too it does the same thing.

This is my one deal breaker. I love this rom, but currently I'm running cyanogen until I can figure this out. I'm gonna do a reflash, in the mean time, anyone let me know if you had this problem or did and fixed it. Thanks all.

Upvote 0
Hey just noticed something with this rom. It may be an isolated case, because I haven't seen it talked about yet. Every time I try to open messages it has to FC the message program. If I try to SMS from a contact page too it does the same thing.

This is my one deal breaker. I love this rom, but currently I'm running cyanogen until I can figure this out. I'm gonna do a reflash, in the mean time, anyone let me know if you had this problem or did and fixed it. Thanks all.

must be isolated, txt is a pretty big feature to have a bug like that without it being mentioned

Upvote 0
Wasn't really able to find any. Kinda odd the messaging icon would just be gone. Gonna try flashing the 1.0 version and see if that happens, then flash the program upgrades onto it.

I have noticed that on some of the themes out there the Voice Mail notifier does not show up. There is an update.zip file that can be found that basicaly reflashes the phone apk file and rectified it. I am not sure if that is what you are missing.

Upvote 0
I am unable to update the Facebook for Android app (update unsuccessful message) and am wondering if it is something do to this ROM as it appears the widget has been themed by the developer ... Can anyone verify?

+1! Checked over at XDA and Android Central and others have the same problems as well. No fixes yet, hoping the chef's cook up a fix soon! Sounds like a good update.

Upvote 0
Just switched to this to check it out, and so far I'm loving it. I got multiple force closes with the X multi touch keyboard (black themed) and was wondering if it was incompatible? I need multi touch, and can't stand stock.

Also, I flashed the Rosie zips as well, but how do I actually get the icons on my screen? Where are they?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones