• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root method for Prime works with Infinity

As new firmware update arrives a few days ago (10/07/2012), this method doesn't work on the TF700T. I have error message after the last reboot right after [testing superuser] saying.

[Rooting Failed! You may want to try running this tool again. Your device region may not be supported if you see this message again. ]

It used to work before but not now. Other than reverting back to previous ICS, is there any other way to adapt to new firmware update?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 10-9-2012 8-58-42 PM.jpg
    10-9-2012 8-58-42 PM.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0
Hi.

As you can see, I'm a noob & have just bought a tf700t with android 4.2.1 already installed. It also has the bootloader 10.6.1.14.4 installed. This is my first attempt at unlocking/rooting any of my devices & I could really do with some help.

I've unlocked the tablet using the official ASUS unlock tool but I also want to root it, so tat I can run Titanium & other root requiring apps. As I said, the unlock was easy. However, the root has got me!

I've tried the Debugfs method but as expected, it failed, as it appears only to work for ICS, not JB.

Has anyone come across a method that I can use to root my tablet which they can advise me, in simple, step-by-step terms, how to complete, as this is driving me mad, not least when I read that some people who's tf700t came with ICS have managed to root in less than 10 minutes! (I have read johnlgalt's post but the description aappears to assume that one can already perform the tasks he lists; unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet)

I've been sat in front of my pc now for about 18 hours & am yet to find a method that works :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Upvote 0
Hi.

As you can see, I'm a noob & have just bought a tf700t with android 4.2.1 already installed. It also has the bootloader 10.6.1.14.4 installed. This is my first attempt at unlocking/rooting any of my devices & I could really do with some help.

I've unlocked the tablet using the official ASUS unlock tool but I also want to root it, so tat I can run Titanium & other root requiring apps. As I said, the unlock was easy. However, the root has got me!

I've tried the Debugfs method but as expected, it failed, as it appears only to work for ICS, not JB.

Has anyone come across a method that I can use to root my tablet which they can advise me, in simple, step-by-step terms, how to complete, as this is driving me mad, not least when I read that some people who's tf700t came with ICS have managed to root in less than 10 minutes! (I have read johnlgalt's post but the description aappears to assume that one can already perform the tasks he lists; unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet)

I've been sat in front of my pc now for about 18 hours & am yet to find a method that works :(

Upvote 0
Hi.

It looks like MotoChopper is the way to do this, confirmed here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2228613

The main MotoChopper thread is here, with fairly straight forward instructions in the first post.
[ROOT] Motochopper: Yet Another Android Root Exploit [4.1.2] - Droid Razr HD Development [XT926] - DroidRzr.com

This is a bit confusing to read since it was originally designed for Motorola devices it mentions that often. Anywhere you see "Motorola" just mentally replace it with "TF700".

There are two other things that might not be 100% clear in directions

1) You're running this on your PC, with the tablet hooked up via USB cable. You don't actually 'DO' anything on the tablet, the PC does all the work.

2) To enable USB Debugging mode, you have to go to 'Developer Options', but that's in a hidden menu, which you first have to unhide.
To do that Go to Menu > System Settings > About Tablet
Scroll to the bottom and tap on

Upvote 0
You DO realize by deleting bloatware, the next update might fail? :D

Wouldn't that be only true for specific bloatware? Anything system related I froze - I only deleted stuff like Goggle +, Wallet, and some preinstalled games. I actually froze them first to make sure nothing was affected then after a few days removed them. I guess if the next update fails that will be a sign that i will have to unlock and flash. :)

Upvote 0
Wouldn't that be only true for specific bloatware? Anything system related I froze - I only deleted stuff like Goggle +, Wallet, and some preinstalled games. I actually froze them first to make sure nothing was affected then after a few days removed them. I guess if the next update fails that will be a sign that i will have to unlock and flash. :)

Unlocking removes the ability to receive ota updates, but I think there might be a way to flash a stock blob file without unlocking. I remember before we got motochopper, that the only way to root without unlocking was to downgrade and root using the old method. So that's always an option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones