• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted Vs. Stock

Do you use Stock or ROMs?

• Total voters
I think the guys flashing roms and rooting, do this more as a hobby than for sheer functionality. ... I dont believe that anyone here thinks it is cut and dry better to root and flash.

Your feelings are noble but contradicted by the daily behavior of the members of this site who suggest to every sub-10-post newcomer that they should flash Cognition/Perception/Assonance/whatever. Even for the most minor of complaints. Even when it's not a complaint at all and the user is just, "Hey I just got a Captivate... what should I do first?"

I try to reign in some sanity when I catch those posts but often get flamed for the unholy act of even suggesting that the JesusROM is somehow imperfect and not the second coming.

I might consider a custom ROM based on the official 2.2 for the Captivate, once it's released, so that I know I'm running code actually designed for the Captivate's unique hardware... if said custom ROM offers significant-enough improvement over stock. Maybe.
I'm considering going to AXURA Captivate Edition now that the drama has been sorted out. From what I've read (and I've been studying all of them) this is the most stable ROM that's come out. Maybe, maybe not. I'd love the learning experience, but I need the phone to be functional, it isn't a toy for me - so I keep studying, and waiting :)

A custom ROM based on the final official Captivate 2.2 that did away with RFS entirely in all places would be rather interesting.
I was thinking the same thing - I'm hoping Hans keeps developing this one, right now I think it uses that Voodoo lag fix in some fashion, and I'm not too thrilled with that - yet it doesn't seem to be causing people problems the way the straight VLF does.

I also might consider a custom ROM even more-seriously once we reach the definite end-of-line as far as what Samsung is going to officially offer for the Captivate (like, if they state that 2.3 will be the last Android they release for it, and then someone hacks up a 3.0 that works 100%).
I will definitely be using a custom ROM if and/or when that happens.

I'm considering going to AXURA Captivate Edition now that the drama has been sorted out. From what I've read (and I've been studying all of them) this is the most stable ROM that's come out. Maybe, maybe not. I'd love the learning experience, but I need the phone to be functional, it isn't a toy for me - so I keep studying, and waiting :)

If I was to use a ROM today, it'd be Assonance, as that is far less-intrusive and hacked-up than even Axura (although Axura would probably come in 2nd). Assonance is a clean, minimally-modified ROM without extra "BS" (as they like to say in the thread)... Just stable and 2.2, and mostly stock.

People often make the mistake of thinking that because I don't use a custom ROM and am constantly knocking them, that I have no idea what's going on. Not true. I exhaust my unread threads here quickly then move on to reading at XDA. I don't post much there as it's not my cup of tea but I absorb a lot and stay on-top of what's going on. I knew all about the Axura drama.

right now I think it uses that Voodoo lag fix in some fashion, and I'm not too thrilled with that - yet it doesn't seem to be causing people problems the way the straight VLF does.
Well, pretty much all Voodoo is doing is switching the RFS partitions to ext4 and then using the old kernel code to add in native ext4 support. Then there's the screen stuff too.

You pretty much negated your main point about making the phone better - "all are works in process (progress), and all are based on leaked, early version of Froyo". This gets back to my one argument about custom roms - and this is coming from someone that has customized his phones for over five years or even longer, I forget, starting with the XDA and Jam phones. Everyone pontificates about the virtues of custom roms in their posts then include negatives. "Well my phone has spotty coverage, bluetooth is inconsistent and I drop more calls. Other than that the custom rom is great". I see this with WinMo and now again with Android.

I don't think I negated my main point, which was that improving the performance of the Captivate requires knowledge. I know, and I would recommend that anyone considering modifying their phone in any way knows, that the custom ROMs available are not perfect. Neither is the stock Eclair. There are issues, and tradeoffs have to be made. All I was trying to say is, if you are not totally happy with your phone, do some research and change it!

If I was to use a ROM today, it'd be Assonance, as that is far less-intrusive and hacked-up than even Axura (although Axura would probably come in 2nd). Assonance is a clean, minimally-modified ROM without extra "BS" (as they like to say in the thread)... Just stable and 2.2, and mostly stock.
Thank you for that pointer, I hadn't looked at that one....yet :) I like that one because it includes Swype, I'd have to add it onto Axura. I'll be watching that thread, also.

People often make the mistake of thinking that because I don't use a custom ROM and am constantly knocking them, that I have no idea what's going on. Not true. I exhaust my unread threads here quickly then move on to reading at XDA. I don't post much there as it's not my cup of tea but I absorb a lot and stay on-top of what's going on. I knew all about the Axura drama.
I don't ever assume anything on the internet. Because I know what assume means ;) I too am busy over there watching and learning.

This might mot be the right spot but here goes.

I am a newbee, reasonably computer literate. I was told I had to root my phone to tether it. I did so and it is rooted with a "super user" App and working properly. Then I found Easytether Which is the way I would prefer to go.

Question. How do I return the phone to stock?

Thanks in advance for the help.

This might mot be the right spot but here goes.

I am a newbee, reasonably computer literate. I was told I had to root my phone to tether it. I did so and it is rooted with a "super user" App and working properly. Then I found Easytether Which is the way I would prefer to go.

Question. How do I return the phone to stock?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Since this isn't really related to the topic of this thread, it'd be better to start your own thread with your unique question. Hijacking of others' threads is frowned upon.

I have almost lost all patients on waiting for Froyo to come out and I don't expect it to come out until late January (maybe). So...I am wanting to know....Root....or remain with Stock? What are the perks of Rooting? Why would you remain with Stock?

Just looking for a 2nd opinion on what to do, Thanks!:D

I know the poll is messed up. Very sorry for the FRUSTRATION!!!...it may have caused you.

I got my Captivate one week ago. Know nothing about Android. i rooted the phone and unlock it. Everything works fine. waiting for 2.2 update.

Back