• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

What is your operating system? Drivers are linked in the OP of this thread in the main package, but knowing what your operating system is will help us set you on the right path. If you are going to do S-OFF, get rid of HTC Sync. It's bloatware that you don't need.

Super huge thank you. I followed to the letter. Flawless procedure. Everything either happened like you said, or made sense when I saw it. Definitely intimidating at first, but once it gets going.... Smooth sailing. Thank you again.

Super huge thank you. I followed to the letter. Flawless procedure. Everything either happened like you said, or made sense when I saw it. Definitely intimidating at first, but once it gets going.... Smooth sailing. Thank you again.
Great! Thank you for the review; I'm glad that you didn't have any trouble with the process at all.

Are you still using Harmonia or did you install something else? Just curious how you're using your new powers :)

I ended up flashing MidnightRom CM10. Haven't had to much time on it, the kids woke up hyper, but I downloaded a few others and put them in the ROM folder. I also have Harmonia in there, just in case there was any issues. But, I think its golden now. I used MyBackUp after, everything restored great and nothing happened to the SD Card either during the process. So happy. One question , am I totally independent from the computer now on flashing ROMs if I download them directly to SD?

Thanks again for the great guide.

I have not run a RUU, But I have the bootloader unlocked. I have 4ext recovery installed, And stock HBoot. Do I absolutely have to run the RUU before performing an s-off?

I dont plan on doing the OTA updates just yet, I am just looking to change my Hboot to try out different ROMs. Maybe in the near future I will attempt to get the newest OTA. I might play around with different radios, But thats down the road too.

Edit: Nevermind. I got a little confused but I think I figured it out. It does it all together in one step basically.

I have not run a RUU, But I have the bootloader unlocked. I have 4ext recovery installed, And stock HBoot. Do I absolutely have to run the RUU before performing an s-off?

I dont plan on doing the OTA updates just yet, I am just looking to change my Hboot to try out different ROMs. Maybe in the near future I will attempt to get the newest OTA. I might play around with different radios, But thats down the road too.
Is your ROM stock? If so you'll be good to go. Just skip the parts of the guide that are talking about unlocking your bootloader, but make sure to read & follow the other parts. You can also skip flashing the recovery in this guide if you'd like, but it wouldn't break anything if you flashed it again.

Also, my "fix everything" section (Part Two) will change your HBOOT to the 1.50.5050 JuopunutBear HBOOT (consensus "best"), and the new radio (nobody's said anything bad about it yet, and it's worked GREAT for me). My "fix everything" contains all the firmware updates from both OTA updates rolled into 1 package.

I ended up flashing MidnightRom CM10. Haven't had to much time on it, the kids woke up hyper, but I downloaded a few others and put them in the ROM folder. I also have Harmonia in there, just in case there was any issues. But, I think its golden now. I used MyBackUp after, everything restored great and nothing happened to the SD Card either during the process. So happy. One question , am I totally independent from the computer now on flashing ROMs if I download them directly to SD?

Thanks again for the great guide.
I know how that goes with the kids... I have a one year old baby at home who takes up a LOT of my time. I love being a dad though.

You are totally independent of the computer for anything you want to do to the phone. Some things I find easier on the computer, but it's up to you. The sky's the limit with S-OFF :)

You're most welcome... I'm just happy to help people out!

Is your ROM stock? If so you'll be good to go. Just skip the parts of the guide that are talking about unlocking your bootloader, but make sure to read & follow the other parts. You can also skip flashing the recovery in this guide if you'd like, but it wouldn't break anything if you flashed it again.

Also, my "fix everything" section (Part Two) will change your HBOOT to the 1.50.5050 JuopunutBear HBOOT (consensus "best"), and the new radio (nobody's said anything bad about it yet, and it's worked GREAT for me). My "fix everything" contains all the firmware updates from both OTA updates rolled into 1 package.

No I dont have a stock ROM. I am currently using mobsterRom. But that shouldnt matter Right? or does it?

No I dont have a stock ROM. I am currently using mobsterRom. But that shouldnt matter Right? or does it?
You can try to run S-OFF with Mobster's if you want. You won't ruin anything & if something goes wrong you can just run the RUU to fix it. If you don't do the RUU let us know how it goes so others can benefit from your experience.

This phone is so hard to break that you can pretty much do whatever you want aside from flashing firmware that doesn't belong on it.

If you get stuck, myself & others are here to help you get through the troubles.

The RUU is included as a "failsafe", so that there's no question for people when they do this guide. If the guide is followed to the letter it will work. You're definitely free to try things your own way - it only benefits the rest of us to learn from what you do, so feel free!

You can try to run S-OFF with Mobster's if you want. You won't ruin anything & if something goes wrong you can just run the RUU to fix it. If you don't do the RUU let us know how it goes so others can benefit from your experience.

This phone is so hard to break that you can pretty much do whatever you want aside from flashing firmware that doesn't belong on it.

If you get stuck, myself & others are here to help you get through the troubles.

The RUU is included as a "failsafe", so that there's no question for people when they do this guide. If the guide is followed to the letter it will work. You're definitely free to try things your own way - it only benefits the rest of us to learn from what you do, so feel free!

Okay Ill give it a shot. Hopefully it works without a problem :p

Edit: Just incase.. Where would I find the RUU? Somewhere on this forum?

It's linked in this thread under the preliminary steps. Everything that you need for any step of this guide is linked directly to a file in my dev-host account.

Well, The S-off worked with MobsterRomHD 3-15-13 installed. On to step 2 "Fix everything"! :D

Edit: Just flashed the hboot/radio update.. I thought this was supposed to change the radio too? Mine still says 1.09.00.0706 after flashing this. It does say that I now have an hboot of 1.50.5050 though.

Any thoughts on that?

Hmm. I seem to be stuck now. I tried to restore my ROM backup, And it shows the boot screen for 3-5 seconds and then the phone turns off by itself. Im attempting a restore again, Incase something went wacky.

Do I now have to disable smartflash in 4ext?

Glad you were successful! Yes, I'd try disabling smartflash since that's only for S-ON users. You might need to reinstall the ROM since smartflash changes the manner in which the ROM loads. After that, just restore a MyBackup or Titanium Backup to get your stuff back. Can you get into recovery or are you stuck there too?

It's odd that your radio didn't update, because if there were no errors on that file, then you should have 1.09.00.0108.

Also, make sure you wipe cache in 4ext.

Glad you were successful! Yes, I'd try disabling smartflash since that's only for S-ON users. You might need to reinstall the ROM since smartflash changes the manner in which the ROM loads. After that, just restore a MyBackup or Titanium Backup to get your stuff back. Can you get into recovery or are you stuck there too?

It's odd that your radio didn't update, because if there were no errors on that file, then you should have 1.09.00.0108

Yes I can get into recovery. Now that I did a re-recovery of my backup, I am stuck In a bootloop instead of it turning itself off. I will try flashing a fresh ROM again and see if it works that way.

Also, It didnt show any errors when flashing that file. It took the Hboot.. I dont understand why it wouldnt take the radio update either.

Is there a link to the newest Radio to try to flash manually?

I'd just try flashing that same file over again (won't hurt anything). No reason it shouldn't have taken, but there is another file out there. Let me see if I can find it.

Well, Its still bootlooping even after installing a fresh ROM. I will try to flash the img through fastboot and see if it works.

Can you link to the thread for your ROM?

Here's the firmware from the latest OTA, which includes the radio. The only thing I can think is maybe your version of Mobster's isn't compatible with the 1.50.5050 HBOOT. You can either try another HBOOT (1.04 engineering works well for a lot of people), or another ROM.

Both of those files can be flashed with fastboot, same as the other file from this thread.

Can you link to the thread for your ROM?

Here's the firmware from the latest OTA, which includes the radio. The only thing I can think is maybe your version of Mobster's isn't compatible with the 1.50.5050 HBOOT. You can either try another HBOOT (1.04 engineering works well for a lot of people), or another ROM.

Both of those files can be flashed with fastboot, same as the other file from this thread.

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/565129-rom-mobster-rom-hd-lite-031513-a.html

Thats the thread to the newest MobsterRom.

I ended up flashing the boot.img through fastboot and its booting now. I dont know why 4ext was having a problem, But its working now.

Thanks for the link to the radio. I will try to flash that next to see if that updates like it should. :p

Edit: 4ext isnt accepting the change to disable smartflash. Every time I go back in there and go to tools, Its enabled again. :confused:

Sweet, I'm glad you got that fixed.

If you flash the recovery.img from the S-OFF folder that should fix the problem for you (you'll be overwriting your old copy of 4ext, which will blast that setting).

It's the newest version, so you shouldn't encounter any problems doing that.

Sweet, I'm glad you got that fixed.

If you flash the recovery.img from the S-OFF folder that should fix the problem for you (you'll be overwriting your old copy of 4ext, which will blast that setting).

It's the newest version, so you shouldn't encounter any problems doing that.

Alright. Ill give flashing that a try too. Thanks for all the help!

Also, That firmware update, Do I just rename that whole zip to the PG86IMG.zip or the individual zips that are inside there to that and flash those?

Back
Top Bottom