• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root safe over clock speeds?

deathneed

Rom: cm7 backside
what is a safe speed I can overclock without risk of overheating or system failure. Default Max is 600mhz.

I run a minimum of 480 and I started at max of 806 but Angry Birds would CTD. I dropped to 768 and it runs smooth. Don't go over 480 for min. I would start at 806 maximum and try out everything to see how it does. If you have a problem, go down. If not, go up and try that a while. Just don't check the set on boot box until you are sure everything is ok. I've read that SmartassV2 is a good Governor to use and I do.

I wondered about this too. Everytime I try it I end up chickening out because of possible heat/power drain issues. Has anyone seen or heard of a scenario where even 729 (first choice after default) would cause instablility, or is that pretty much always considered a safe bet?

If you have instabilty, put where it's stable.
Not all proccessors are perfect.
The min. is where the phone idles, if it's over 480MHz the proccessors, working all the time at at least that speed, you can see were this could be bad to set the min to high.
The max. can be set by this method: Set min. first. Then bring the max. up one setting at a time untill the phone reboots, then go down 2 seetings. This is where you can safely overclock to play games and such. To find the sweet spot for all around stability, open up the gallery and go down until it seems fairly stable.
BACKside's petformance/battery life sweetspot is: 480min.x748to787max(depends on how good your proccessor is)
Govenors are something you have to try. It depends on what you do most with your phone.
Gamers=performance
Multitaskng=Smartass V2
Every day use=Interactive
This is general,just too give you some Idea. The best thing is just to try them all. One whole day for each one.

Of course if you had instability you'd want to lower it, I'm wondering if anyone has ever had an issue even at the lowest oc of 729?
You think Smartass v2 would be better for all around than default on demand?

It doesn't really effect battery life. Everyone is different I run at 806/480 and when I need more power 840/480 and can run that completely stable I have never pushed it any further though so I have no idea my max

benslgdroid has a very good proccessor.
Mine is not to good. 748 to 787 at the best for the max. is the best I can do.

Hey I think I remember poking in here or some other forum a few months ago there was a name of an Android bench/stress test tossed around, anyone got it off the top?

If you keep using it for a while tell how your battery life did if you could?:) What do you normally use Atmazz? I've just been using on demand the whole time.

I had been using SmartassV2. Its a little hard to gauge battery life so far. About 7 hours of this is on 3G while I was sleeping.

screenshot-1327578565313.png

I can tell a very noticeable difference with InteractiveX. I think I'll keep it for now. I'm running Min 480 and Max 787 and it seems to be working well. Here's some infor on InteractiveX I found at RootzWiki.

Interactive: Focuses more on performance and UI smoothness than Conservative. Therefore more power hungry.
- Instead of sampling the cpu at a specified rate, it will scale the cpu frequency up when coming
out of idle. When the cpu comes out of idle, a timer is configured to fire
within 1-2 ticks. If the cpu is 100% busy from exiting idle to when the timer
fires then we assume the cpu is underpowered and ramp to MAX speed.

If the cpu was not 100% busy, then the governor evaluates the cpu load over the last 'min_sample_rate' (default 50000 uS) to determine the cpu speed to ramp down
to.

InteractiveX: By Imoseyon, it is very similar to the interactive governor except that it will scale the cpu down to 300mhz when the screen is off (like smartass).

btw, for anyone that doesn't know, the 69 in the top right is the battery left.

I'm stable at 825. The min is set at default(really what's the point in raising It?) I'm getting the marquee on boost next week. I'll miss this phone.

Battery life depends on your minimum more than anything, the lower the better, however, before you crank it to 122 (which isn't actually supported) there are things you need to know.

After 480, the phone ups the processor voltage, meaning battery goes down much faster, so you don't want to cross that point. On the other hand, if you set it at 240 and you turn on navigation, and it requires more processing than 240mhz, your phone automatically goes to max speed. Anytime you exceed the minimum, the phone goes into max speed. So, you need to find a happy medium.

If you only play mp3's or stream, 240 or 360 may work, if you use navigation alone, 360 may work. Music and navigation, you need 480. An easy way to tell is if you are doing something you think is minor and your phone starts getting warm and draining the battery fast, it means your processor is running at max and you need to raise the minimum to get above it.

The goal is to make the phone run at idle for the extended things you use it for most often, and run at max power only when it needs the power to accomplish something fast. None of these effect sleep mode.

I used Quadrant Standard Edition to get this.
Go little V!!! :D

Quadrant lies due to Stagework crashing, it thinks the test finished when it has not, giving a false, inflated score. Your phone actually measures between 250 and 500 on there. Sorry.

Quadrant lies due to Stagework crashing, it thinks the test finished when it has not, giving a false, inflated score. Your phone actually measures between 250 and 500 on there. Sorry.

That's ok. I doubted its accuracy.

There's an old saying among overclockers,

"There's lies
damn lies
and benchmarks."

I used to use 480/825 SmartA$$v2 but switched over to InteractiveX. The battery savings are pretty noticeable and the performance IMO is still up to par with SmartA$$v2 =]

I am trying InteractiveX for the first time. Its pretty snappy.
InteractiveX fails every time I try to flash it. It complains about an error in the zip file. I did try re-downloading it, got the same result.
Does anyone know where I can find the verification code so I can verify my download?
Any assistance appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom