• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Same-Sex Marriage

Gee, why didn't you just quote a period and critique my grammar? Way to take a sentence completely out of the context of the rest of the paragraph. Perhaps you should try again and try responding to everything I said in that paragraph, which had absolutely nothing to do with arguing for a separate but equal type of policy. But please, don't let ignorant comments get in the way of a good discussion.
Here's a quarter, please purchase a sense of humor. :D

I understand you are pro-gay marriage. I just don't think most gay people would like an interim solution that matches the "Separate but equal" doctrine.

I may be wrong... but I doubt it.

i feel that gays should be able to have at least a civil union. i dont see why this is such a big issue. i have a problem with gays adopting children though. i do not think they should be able to have children. if you choose to be gay then ur choosing a life without procreation. cant have ur cake and eat it too.

I think kids need a mom and a pop. Two men or two women cannot teach kids what they need to know.

There is an argument against not calling it a civil union, and that is that it is discriminatory in itself. It implies that homosexuals are not good enough to be allowed to marry. Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is and I don't see how it effects straight couples in any way.

I also feel that this should be handled on a federal level. Unless I am mistaken, marriage in any of our 50 states needs to be respected and considered valid by the other 49. So, if there is a single state that allows homosexual marriage, all it takes is getting married there and then going back to reside in the state you came from. This can be as simple as a weekend event. So, really, what are the states that are not allowing homosexual marriage accomplishing? A whole lot of nothing, that's what.

This hits home pretty hard for me. I was raised by my mother since I was four. I must not have learned all the things I needed to know?
Nope, you didn't! And get this, all the mothers and fathers who are home with their children alone when their spouces are off on active military duty... well, their children didn't learn all the things they needed to know either!!

It's a scary world we live in.

Let me just say this as well. Kids that go from one foster home to another throughout their lives, or that are stuck in orphanages, I feel are MUCH worse off than kids that are adopted, nurtured, and loved by a homosexual couple.

Oh cool. So I guess all single parents need to have their children removed from their homes, asap.

I did NOT say that. Certainly, there is only a few reasons why kids should be removed from a home. Abuse and neglect, for example.

I simply think kids need a dad and a mom for a well rounded youth. So please do not e-put e-words in my e-mouth.

I did NOT say that. Certainly, there is only a few reasons why kids should be removed from a home. Abuse and neglect, for example.

I simply think kids need a dad and a mom for a well rounded youth. So please do not e-put e-words in my e-mouth.
Either they need both "a mom and a pop" or they don't.

And, since we've seen plenty of productive members of society come from single-parent and homosexual-parent households, I guess your opinion on this matter is incorrect.

Either they need both "a mom and a pop" or they don't.

And, since we've seen plenty of productive members of society come from single-parent and homosexual-parent households, I guess your opinion on this matter is incorrect.

A reasonable person would omit the little things that serve to obfuscate the central issue: same sex marriages. Certainly, both parents are needed and certainly, things happen, like loosing a parent to war, disease, accident, or divorce.

I am not talking about taking a child from a single parent, however.

We are not talking about those things; we are talking about two gay people getting together and raising a child. Again, in my view, a mom and pop is preferable because a child needs a mother to raise him/her and a dad to add those things men understand.

We are not talking about those things; we are talking about two gay people getting together and raising a child. Again, in my view, a mom and pop is preferable because a child needs a mother to raise him/her and a dad to add those things men understand.
That's great. So, in your mind (and this opinion is shared by many) that the preferrable households for a child to develop in would probably be ranked as follows:

1) Mother and Father
2) Homosexual Couple
3) Single parent
4) Foster care

Does that look about right?

That's great. So, in your mind (and this opinion is shared by many) that the preferrable households for a child to develop in would probably be ranked as follows:

1) Mother and Father
2) Homosexual Couple
3) Single parent
4) Foster care

Does that look about right?

Not sure how I would rank things. Mom and Pop first, certainly.

Bob,
Respectfully, nobody was saying you were implying taking kids away. What you seem to have implied is that the upbringing of a child is somehow inadequate if they don;t have a mother and father in their lives. I honestly fail to see how having a single mother or a single father is an less or more adequate than having two fathers or two mothers.

Next, is your opinion based on any facts at all, or is it purely opinion? That is to say, are there studies showing that a kid need a mother and father or that they do significantly better when brought up this way?

I provided links in an earlier post about a case parents sued the government because they wanted to pull their second grader from a lesson where a book would be read in which a prince marries another prince instead of a princess. The parents lost that suit, unfortunately.

Yeah, I don't see the big deal about this. It's a kids story. You have princesses making out with frogs, 7 tiny men living together and sharing one woman, etc. If a kid asks why the prince is marrying another prince all that needs to be said is "sometimes men fall in love with men and women fall in love with women." That's a true statement and doesn't show bias to one side of the issue or the other. And frankly I don't think a 2nd grader would even think twice about it. Most likely they haven't learned that this is an issue with some people yet

Yeah, I don't see the big deal about this. It's a kids story. You have princesses making out with frogs, 7 tiny men living together and sharing one woman, etc. If a kid asks why the prince is marrying another prince all that needs to be said is "sometimes men fall in love with men and women fall in love with women." That's a true statement and doesn't show bias to one side of the issue or the other. And frankly I don't think a 2nd grader would even think twice about it. Most likely they haven't learned that this is an issue with some people yet

It goes along with teaching the theory of creationism versus the theory of evolution in schools. There are arguments for or against both sides. At the end of the day they are all theories, and if they are taught as such (theories and not fact), what's so wrong with it?

To be clear, they are not human, they are dwarfs with magical powers and a great work ethic. And except for Sleazy and Curmudgeon, they are straight. If they can get the hot blond, well, good for them.

Don't forget the story about children being taken, boiled whole in a pot filled with trans-fats, and eaten by a witch who lives in a house made of processed sugary candy deep in a magical forest. No due process, no police reports, and no CSI: Magical Forrest types investigating the sad and sorry mess.

The Frog story must go because bestiality is not looked upon as suitable fodder for youngsters.

Perhaps we need to teach the three 'Rs:' Readin, Ritin, and Rithmetic and Java Programming, and forget the social engineering. Teach the basics and let then struggle into a dress and a nice strand of pearls when it is meaningful and they actually understand the issues.

Unless the parents starts telling their kids. Its like with kids of KKK parents. They start them young of hating people that are not of their race. I agree with you about the fairy tales. But People usually hates what they cant understand or feel threaten with their way of life.

I hope one day we can live in a world that people are not judged by race,sexual preference,Physical/Mental disabilities, a persons wealth, and so on.

To be clear, they are not human, they are dwarfs with magical powers and a great work ethic. And except for Sleazy and Curmudgeon, they are straight. If they can get the hot blond, well, good for them.

Don't forget the story about children being taken, boiled whole in a pot filled with trans-fats, and eaten by a witch who lives in a house made of processed sugary candy deep in a magical forest. No due process, no police reports, and no CSI: Magical Forrest types investigating the sad and sorry mess.

The Frog story must go because bestiality is not looked upon as suitable fodder for youngsters.

Perhaps we need to teach the three 'Rs:' Readin, Ritin, and Rithmetic and Java Programming, and forget the social engineering. Teach the basics and let then struggle into a dress and a nice strand of pearls when it is meaningful and they actually understand the issues.
ummmmm the dwarfs did not have magical powers :rolleyes:

The problem is that parents should be the ones deciding whether or not they want their child, especially a second grader, exposed to homosexuality. I personally wouldn't, but I don't make decisions for other parents.

There is also an illustration of a homosexual kiss that some might find offensive.

ummmmm the dwarfs did not have magical powers :rolleyes:

Dwarfs typically loath magical powers, but they have the power to embed magical powers in objects like their Ax. Therefore, they do command magic to some degree. Well known to posses magical abilities and they hold grudges, so never slight them.

They know when you've been bad, good, getting enough rest... they all have ESP, likely.

If they loathe magic, chances are they would never show it to Walt Disney's film crew, so the use of magic is not evident in the film. One must believe some of the princess' dwarf friends had the ability.

The problem is that parents should be the ones deciding whether or not they want their child, especially a second grader, exposed to homosexuality. I personally wouldn't, but I don't make decisions for other parents.

There is also an illustration of a homosexual kiss that some might find offensive.

I suppose we can make the same argument over just about anything. Let's take the opposite: heterosexuality. Let's say I am a homosexual male raising my kid with my partner/husband and I am appalled that all the stories being read to him/her are of heterosexual relationships. So, do I make a big deal about my kid being exposed to only heterosexuality?

I suppose we can make the same argument over just about anything. Let's take the opposite: heterosexuality. Let's say I am a homosexual male raising my kid with my partner/husband and I am appalled that all the stories being read to him/her are of heterosexual relationships. So, do I make a big deal about my kid being exposed to only heterosexuality?
you could probably do it I hate to say.

Back
Top Bottom