• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Protectors for Android Phones.

I was at a local sprint kiosk and was talking to one of their sales people. He was pretty nice, knowledgeable person.

He actually told me to call Sprint as I would probably get a better deal. Turns out he was right. Got the LG Optimus S for free and $50 off my next bill for renewing.

Any rate, I asked him about screen protectors and he said "they are a waste of money". I ask this as every time I google the question I get nothing but a big online fight that XXXXXX screen protector is far superior to YYYYYY's screen protector.

The Sprint saleperson has an HTC Evo and he proceeded to take his car keys to the screen and there were no scratches. He said that most smart phones have a pretty good glass screen that is very scratch proof.

He then proceeded to say that the Optimus S does not have as good a grade of glass as the Evo or the Epic, but with care you should have no problem.

Any comments.

hey there,
yeah some phones come with toughened glass, or in the case of the galaxy S 'Gorilla glass'

sup to you really, if you want to be extra careful then get a screenprotector- my suggestion- invisishield

however if you know you will be dead careful then dont bother its all a matter of preference.

Personally i have an invisishield protector on my screen just to be on the safeside, with the phone then being in a pdair leather case.

I like to be as careful as possible, people tend to forget they're holding a

Upvote 0
Go to walmart and buy some cut it to fit. dont fool with water applicable type. just cut,clean,peel n stick. :)

When you go to a high quality screen protector you'll never use one of those crap peel and stick jobs ever again.

I've been using Zagg's for a while now, they're top shelf. I use them on 2 different phones, iPod and an iPod touch. Lifetime warranty....but you most likely won't need it unless for you have to remove the protector (maybe for a device warranty claim).

Upvote 0
When you go to a high quality screen protector you'll never use one of those crap peel and stick jobs ever again.

I've been using Zagg's for a while now, they're top shelf. I use them on 2 different phones, iPod and an iPod touch. Lifetime warranty....but you most likely won't need it unless for you have to remove the protector (maybe for a device warranty claim).

Couldn't agree with you more. I love my Zagg invisishield. Well worth the money.

Upvote 0
I use Phantom Skinz, have used Zagg / Invisible Shield / Clear Freak and others. Phantom Skinz has the clearest screen protectors I've ever used.

I'll never use those cheapo cut to size screen protectors. They scratch and haze up over time.

The Optimus S has a plastic screen, so it's easy to scratch. A screen protector is highly recommended.

Upvote 0

Here here, those peel and stick jobs are pants put bluntly, ok for a quick fix, but they tend to lose their adhesiveness after a while, collect dust around the edge and look terrible.

As others have said, if you want to seriously protect your screen, you pay for what you get.

Upvote 0
Since this phone does not have a glass screen I would recommend a screen protector. I scratched the screen on a touch pro I used to have and it is really annoying living with a scratched screen.

For screen protectors... I'm too lazy to mess with cut to fit. I've had the kind sold at Best Buy that are made out of the 3M car bra material... they are very durable and stay on very well but I just didn't like the feel of them. Also kinda expensive IMO.

I just head out to ebay, find one for my phone and look thru the comments for the seller looking for positive or negative reviews of buyers who bought the same item.

I paid $6 for a 2 pack that I am very happy with... feel just like the original screen and doesn't negatively impact visibility as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0
Metal (like keys or coins) will definitely scratch the LG Optimus screen. My family of 4 has Optimus S's so I immediately got cheap, dry-application screen protectors for my kids on eBay. They were kinda crappy and soon started to bubble & peel off. Then (after my first screen scratch) I bought a different brand of cheap dry-application screen protectors on ebay, for the whole family and they've worked perfectly (no bubbles or peeling) for about 6 months so far. The were 5-for-$3. I got them from an ebay vendor named "spshop88". I would definitely buy them again. They work perfectly and look good.
Samsung, Blackberry items in spshop88 store on eBay!

I got soft silicone cases for all of us. I like the silicon cases better than the hard cases becaues:
1) They're soft and very shock absorbant. (Accidentally tested and passed with flying colors.)
2) They're kinda "sticky". Well, they're not really "sticky", but they don't slip and slide, so they're not as likely to get dropped or slide off a table or car or something.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones