• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shopping for a new notebook computer

tommy_ed

Android Expert
Feb 26, 2010
I don't know too awful much about computers so I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice. I'm looking for a new computer running windows 7. I'm wanting a really fast processor and plenty of RAM. Compact and lightweight size and loud speakers would be a plus, but not a requirement. Leaning towards either a Toshiba Satellite series or an HP.

Any recommendations?

EDIT: Looking in the price range of $800-1,300

I don't know too awful much about computers so I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice. I'm looking for a new computer running windows 7. I'm wanting a really fast processor and plenty of RAM. Compact and lightweight size and loud speakers would be a plus, but not a requirement. Leaning towards either a Toshiba Satellite series or an HP.

Any recommendations?

Do you have a specific price range?

Upvote 0
I saw (last week) a nice lenovo at best buy, it made pcmag.com's top ten laptops, and it was less than $600, so that's nice. Of course, I wasn't able to find any reviews on amazon, I'm guessing it was because of some specific non-sense modeling or something. Not sure.

Also, black friday is a good thing for buying laptops. Stores stock up and have deals. The downside is getting up at midnight to be there in time... eh.

Upvote 0
Try out a chromebook...

Chromebook

From what I read it seems like an awesome solution, granted you are REQUIRED to be by a network connection, but if you choose a 3G model that wouldn't be an issue.

Hell for most people you HAVE to be by a network to have any chance in hell of using it correctly, considering not a lot is done locally anymore.

I do many things 'locally', well except things like posting on Android Forums, and other internet related activities. :)

I bet Google won't be exactly in a hurry to market Chromebooks in China. Although Android is huge here, probably more devices than anywhere else.

EDIT:

Just been looking at Chromebooks as I was curious, One obvious thing I noticed, they don't appear to have an Ethernet jack. Thing is I'm currently spending a couple of weeks in a hotel, and internet in the rooms is hard-wired Ethernet, NO wifi except in the lobby. Could purchase a cheap wifi router I suppose, to make it work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones