• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sim locked?

DrBoloid

Lurker
Jul 13, 2013
Hi

I bought an 'unlocked' HTC one sv lte from a shop in ebay (I put in a bid not expecting to win, but got lucky I guess) and a sim card from 3, however when I put the sim in it told me that it was network locked, with a space to put in a code. I have been trawling the internets but cannot find out how to unlock this phone. I cannot get a code as I do not know who the network operator is supposed to be. I checked that it was not blacklisted, but have come to an end in my abilities to solve this. Any help would be appreciated.

DrBoloid

There are places online that you could try and pay a small fee to get the unlock code. I haven't ever had to use any though so can't guarantee if they work. Or you could open a case with ebay and get a refund as the goods were not as described as you said it was supposed to be unlocked.

Upvote 0
The seller should be able to tell you which network it was locked to, if they don't know, then it's origin should be considered questionable and I'd return it, if possible. Those "pay for unlock" services are notoriously unreliable and frankly exist only to circumvent contracts (and take your money).

If they can tell you who the original carrier was and the phone is no longer under contract or reported lost or stolen, then they should give you the code.

Let us know how you make out.

Reactions: LilBit and argedion
Upvote 0
Hi

I bought an 'unlocked' HTC one sv lte from a shop in ebay (I put in a bid not expecting to win, but got lucky I guess) and a sim card from 3, however when I put the sim in it told me that it was network locked, with a space to put in a code. I have been trawling the internets but cannot find out how to unlock this phone. I cannot get a code as I do not know who the network operator is supposed to be. I checked that it was not blacklisted, but have come to an end in my abilities to solve this. Any help would be appreciated.

DrBoloid

Welcome to the forums, DrBoloid.

The previous suggestions are good. But also, the best course of action may be to take the device, along with the SIM card, to the carrier you wish to have as your provider, and tell them the issue. Some carriers allow for unlocked devices, and will do that for you. They may also provide you with a different SIM card.

Bring money. :D

Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies and suggestions everybody.
I have contacted the vendor on ebay, and they told me that they won the phone in a competition, so I have made some enquiries about that which may help. It came still sealed in the original cellophane wrapping so unless someone went to a lot of trouble to reseal it, I believe it was brand new. I also checked the imei number and it does not come up as blocked. So I guess I will just have to wait and find out more if I can.

Upvote 0
Can I say thanks to everybody for your input.
The ebay seller got back to me and explained a bit more about the phones origins, and we worked out it was probably locked to EE even though this was never made explicit to them. To be fair they were very good and offered to contact EE for me. However the virgin sim arrived today and worked without any problems. The deal I have with them is OK, 3gb and unlimited txts free when I top up

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones