• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slow Charging Time

proxas

Lurker
I have had my Bionic charging now for about 2 hours and its still at 35%. Anyone else notice this problem? Going to try a different charger. Was using stock charger.

Hmm... yeah that is peculiar. I've read several reviews where they praised how fast this phone could charge (typically 2 hours).

I turned my off to charge it. Problem is, there does not seem to be any LED activity to show what the status of charging is. No blinking or anything. Maybe it will turn solid green or something when it finishes charging?

Anybody know?

If the phone is on when you charge it, do you get some sort of LED activity?

Seems as though an issue with the Motorola charger. Swapped out to the old HTC charger and its charging faster now.

I had mine charging on the USB on my laptop at first and it was going pretty slow. I switched the charger and it seemed to be going reasonably fast.

I had this issue with my other phone, but the Bionic charges pretty normally, by comparison. I haven't really timed it, yet, but two hours would yield a pretty good charge on mine, if not, fully.

What charger did you guys get? I'm using the regular desk dock right now (not HD dock), plugged into wall.

I'm using the one it came with.

So far after nearly 5 hours. (4 hours 45 minutes) it has charged from 40% up to 70%.

This is a little ridiculous! My droid X would charge from a dead battery to full (extended battery) in less than 5 hours!

Not sure, I won't have that problem :D Got 1 Battery in the Phone and the other one in the External Battery Charger ... which I might add the external charger charges quiet fast.

Out of the box I let my battery die down to about 10% and then plugged it in and let it fully charge. For me it only took between 2-3 hours

Seemed pretty good consideringthe size of the battery

After 6 hours on various chargers, the most charged my Bionic got was 60%. I then restarted the phone, plugged it in, and it went from 60% to 100% in less than an hour.

So, restarting the phone might fix the charging issue.

Okay, the direct wall charger that came with it seems to charge the fastest. Dock would be okay if it sat on my desk all day. Turning the screen off helps, too.

You guys may want to try running the battery down several times. When the Droid originally came out, I remember this issue well...it was an issue with battery meter calibration not the actual charging itself.

The Droid Charge needs a 1000mA charger (rather than the 700mA and 800mA ones floating around) to charge in a reasonable amount of time. May be the same w/Bionic.

Not sure, I won't have that problem :D Got 1 Battery in the Phone and the other one in the External Battery Charger ... which I might add the external charger charges quiet fast.

Where did you get your external charger? I've been looking for one. I have an extended battery along with the original battery but that doesn't really help without and external charger.

On my OG Droid I swapped out 3 batteries and never plugged in the phone for a charge. That is a great way to do it. When I knew I had a long day or on vacation I had extra batteries in my pocket.

So ThatGuy, please tell me where you get the external charger.

Thanks!

Brian

We got it as a part of the BIONIC bundle via CostCo - but you can get the same thing from Motorola for sure: DROID BIONIC by Motorola - Android Social Smartphone - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

In the section under the phone are the related accessories - the one called Battery Dock

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply.

For $60 I'll have to hold off on that for now.

I got my External charger for my OG from Seidio for about $30 but they don't have them for the Bionic yet. The charger has different plates that snap in for different batteries so I'm hoping that they will sell just the plate. I know, wishful thinking.

But thank you for your quick reply.

Brian

interesting. wonder when motorola will figure out that we need a higher output than 850MA.

Perhaps when they decide to allow the phone to accept more than about 750mA. I've rated the bionic and the dx charge current and both maxed out at 750 mA on both a 1A and 2.1A charger...

Back
Top Bottom