• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So, have most of the Froyo problems been worked out now?

Meh, 65nm does ok on the battery front I would hardly call it exceptional, and yes the 45nm Hummingbird processor does much better than a Snapdragon, is it half as efficient no not exactly. But when you combine the Snapdragon with that huge backlit LCD screen and test it against a phone with a Hummingbird AND a Super-AMOLED display it's easily almost of not over twice as efficient.

Well, if we still decide to go with the Epic as our 2nd phone, I'll be able to compare apples to apples.

I'm frustrated that folks like you and I have such different battery/quality issues - and from reading various user comments, I'm less impressed that it'll be much more than the same crapshoot again for us with the Epic.

Without question - 45 nm process chips and a SAMOLED display _should_ add up to significant battery savings - all things being equal. But - with different processor designs and yet-to-be-known Sprint bloatware - it's just not a foregone conclusion to me that it must be so.

I can only go by others say - the few comparison reviews I mentioned said in their tests that battery life differences were neglible - your claim is that if you test it, it's twice as good. I get that the tests I reference are not as useful - running strictly 4G is no test, and running without cleaning up the Evo is no test. But - to which tests are _you_ referring? I'd be happy with any Galaxy class battery comparison to even a Nexus One - as close to apples to apples would be fine.

Twice as good as what I'm getting out my Evo would be fabulous. Twice as good as what you got out of your Evo - uh - maybe not fabulous.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, if your evo works as is...don't f*ck with it...stay with 2.1. I updated to 2.2 and my phone was so annoying afterwards. I couldn't even make a phone call because of the lag. I have followed all of the instructions in the "How to fix Froyo" thread, and while everything improved greatly, my phone still isn't what I want it to be. I have to restart my phone at least twice a day because of the lag. Also, there is now a new issue of "htc force close" which is completely new since 2.2.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones