• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some questions

Liors

Lurker
Oct 29, 2016
Hi,

I just got my Huawei watch and it is great!!

I have some questions and tips that it will be great if you can help me with and I couldn't find answers to.

1. Charging - what is the best way to charge it in order keep the battery life? like everyday few mins? everyday to full charge? let it drop until X%?

2. Always on option - is there an option to make it sleep at night? like I like this option very much, but as I don't sleep with it, I think it is better that the screen will be off at night.
in addition, do it harm the screen if always on working all the time?

3. Reset - do you reset the devise occasionally? like in purpose. I mean, on my Samsung S6 i know that once in a while I need to reset it to get a better performance.

3. Steps tracking - I was with the blue moon face and noticed that the steps showed is updated after few seconds, meaning that let's say I walked 50 steps, I stop, look at the watch, see the old steps count and after 2-3 seconds it is "jumped" and updated to the new count. in addition, if I stop, wait this few seconds and look at the watch, the count is ok - is this normal?

4. fitness app - which app to use with it that will sync the best with my phone? I installed Google fit and its not doing the job good. it looks like it count steps from the phone and not the watch, or mixed it together, In addition the distance and calories count is way not true, like it show the distance far low then the true (I updated my height and weight, over the app and on the watch) and the calories far more then it is.
In addition I installed the Huawei wear app and it looks much more accurate, showing the steps as the watch, and separate it to walking and steps, distance is accurate and calories as well. but the app doesn't look so good and looks like it missed a lot of other option.
In addition, I don't understand why the Huawei app on the watch is not showing distance but just steps count.
So, which app do you use? I basically want a nice app that will show my daily usage and if can, that will sync with the heart rate measure that i can take from time to time.
Can I sync it to S-Health that I have? or please recommend for another app.

5. Is there any nice watch face that shows not only the steps count but the distance as well?

6. Any other general recommendations?

Thank you very much for your help.

1. Charging - what is the best way to charge it in order keep the battery life? like everyday few mins? everyday to full charge? let it drop until X%?
I wear it all day, let it charge to full overnight. I can still get two days if necessary and have had it for a year.

2. Always on option - is there an option to make it sleep at night? like I like this option very much, but as I don't sleep with it, I think it is better that the screen will be off at night.
in addition, do it harm the screen if always on working all the time?
I just put it on the charger and leave it be. Again, no problems in the year I've had it. I had a buddy with a 3D printer print me a stand that makes it easier.

3. Reset - do you reset the devise occasionally? like in purpose. I mean, on my Samsung S6 i know that once in a while I need to reset it to get a better performance.
I do, but mainly because I rarely use a phone for more than a couple months and I need to reset it to pair with a new watch. When I have used it for extended times I haven't noticed any creeping lag, so intentional resets are probably not necessary.

3. Steps tracking - I was with the blue moon face and noticed that the steps showed is updated after few seconds, meaning that let's say I walked 50 steps, I stop, look at the watch, see the old steps count and after 2-3 seconds it is "jumped" and updated to the new count. in addition, if I stop, wait this few seconds and look at the watch, the count is ok - is this normal?
Didn't I already answer 3? :p Yes, a lot of the aftermarket faces I have have an option for how frequently to update steps and/or weather.

4. fitness app
I really don't use one, so I'll leave this for others. :)

5. Is there any nice watch face that shows not only the steps count but the distance as well?
See #4. There are hundreds of great faces and face developers, so I'm sure there is one like that.

6. Any other general recommendations?
Don't be afraid to buy faces. The included ones are pretty bad compared to what is available in the market. $1-2 will get you some really nice ones with a lot of functionality. Check in here where some developers show off their faces.
http://androidforums.com/forums/watch-faces.3390/

Finally, welcome to AF and enjoy your new toy. :)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

Leave it charged all night? it doesn't hurt the battery ? like, it get to full charge within an hour and a half?

no other option? it seems strange... that always on can't be disabled at night, or other option, and that i have only 3 options:
1. leave it all night on the charger
2. leave it all night with always on work
3. disable always on manually

1-2 looks like can hurt the battery or screen
3 annoying

Upvote 0
As far as charging all night, the watch controls that to protect the battery, so that isn't a problem. It will get to 100% and run on battery fro a bit and then charge back to 100%. That way it doesn't overcharge.

As far as your second point, I'm not sure I follow. On mine when I put it on the charger it goes to the charging screen where it gives a quick vibrate and gives the dgital time, a lightning bolt, and the charge percentage. Every few minutes that ambient screen jumps so it is using different portions of the screen, thus protecting the screen. Don't stare at the watch, you will never see it. :p The only way to catch it is to accidentally glance at it when it happens. :D But seriously, it's built in to protect the screen, and it works when it is on the charger and for standard ambient mode.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Regarding the charging - that's new to me, thanks, learned something... it is a really "smart"watch :)

Regarding the second point - I meant that it is on the "always on" but not on the charger.
I can update that yesterday, after I took it off my hand and put it on my desk, after few sec/min the screen turn black like went to sleep and stayed as is until the morning - so if this is how it will act - great, this is what I meant.

I have another question, regarding usage time.
What is the best or needs to be done in order to get maximum usage time?
Like I understand that it depend on my daily usage and of course, as it is new watch and I got new update for the past 3 days, so for sure it effect, but after that, on a daily basis.
Like, my WIFI is on, as I understood it is better to the connection with the phone. do I right? is it needed?
Other options better to disable?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Upvote 0
Regarding the charging - that's new to me, thanks, learned something... it is a really "smart"watch :)
For what its worth, phones do the same thing.

Regarding the second point - I meant that it is on the "always on" but not on the charger.
I can update that yesterday, after I took it off my hand and put it on my desk, after few sec/min the screen turn black like went to sleep and stayed as is until the morning - so if this is how it will act - great, this is what I meant.
Understood. :thumbsupdroid:

Battery is always a little off for the first few days after an OTA, so that's expected. Same for when the watch is new, but that is based more on you playing with it and installing and removing faces. :p

Honestly, on the watch faces where it is available, I turn off the ambient mode and just have the face dim and I still get more than a day. Note, when dimmed the face isn't updating in real time, so that still saves power. I've found a few faces that didn't play nice and would kill my battery, but that was poor code, not how the face is displayed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones