• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root sprecovery co-exist w/ rom manager/clockwork?

cggorman

Android Enthusiast
I already have SPR installed, but I'm thinking I'd like to have ROM manager for the ease of system wipe. Can both coexist? If not, what is my best course of action to do complete wipes and install nexbeast ROMS?

I'm having trouble with the system wipe due to read/write permissions. Even a quick how-to on accomplishing the system wipe using terminal emulator would be enough...
TIA!

I already have SPR installed, but I'm thinking I'd like to have ROM manager for the ease of system wipe. Can both coexist? If not, what is my best course of action to do complete wipes and install nexbeast ROMS?

I'm having trouble with the system wipe due to read/write permissions. Even a quick how-to on accomplishing the system wipe using terminal emulator would be enough...
TIA!

I think Fab supplies update.zips which can be used with clockwork

If you don't know how to use adb, then Clockwork is the only way to wipe system and boot partitions (use the 'partitions' menu from recovery).

You can't wipe any of the partitions using terminal emulator because you have to have the OS running to use the app...can't wipe the OS while it's in use, right?

If you know how to use adb, then you can adb shell into SPRecovery and run the following commands before you install:

format DATA:
format CACHE:
format SYSTEM:
format BOOT:

Thanks, Fab...kinda what I expected, but thought it was worth a shot...

Yeah, I know ADB well enough to do this, but when my wife takes half my chit in a couple months, I'm gonna be without a computer for a while until my finances recover. I went ahead and did a format last night thru ADB and it solved my problem, but I'm looking toward the future.

Regardless, can SPR and Clockwork co-exist, or do I have to uninstall SPR to have clockwork?

TIA

Thanks, Fab...kinda what I expected, but thought it was worth a shot...

Yeah, I know ADB well enough to do this, but when my wife takes half my chit in a couple months, I'm gonna be without a computer for a while until my finances recover. I went ahead and did a format last night thru ADB and it solved my problem, but I'm looking toward the future.

Regardless, can SPR and Clockwork co-exist, or do I have to uninstall SPR to have clockwork?

TIA

Recoveries are one or the other. its easy to switch between them with Rom manager though. It can flash both

ClockwordMod Recovery replaces SPRecovery, but ROM Manager makes it a snap to install SPRecovery again.

As an aside, I haven't had any need to go back to SPRecovery, since I installed ClockworkMod recovery -- it just has so many options (particularly in the partitions menu) that SPRecovery didn't have. I made sure to do a complete nandroid backup of my then-current setup, immediately after installing ClockwordMod recovery, before making any other changes so I could use that to restore if need be. Most of the ROM devs supply an update.zip, so it's so easy to install pretty much any ROM right from the SD card (you don't even have to rename the update zip, which I think is great) from ROM Manager.

SPRecovery is obsolete. The only thing it does that CM Recovery doesn't is give the option to install .rom.tar files. And I truthfully haven't seen anyone using .rom.tar lately; AdamZ's LV kernels were the only ones I came across.

The only part lacking in Clockwork is that you cannot use adb shell to perform the formats - since they are listed in the Partitions submenu, it's not a major problem, but when I am on my compute I find it a lot easier to run commands via adb when connected to the USB cable.

Koush has some more stuff planned for ROM Manager, which is a good thing - it's fast become a de facto app I install on any ROM I play with. Hell, even when the fiasco blew up I never removed ROM mgr - I recognized its value over the petty BS being purported.

If you ever run into the problem where you need to have SPR, ROM Mgr takes care o fit - and then obviously flashing back to ClockworkMod is just as easy. It's a win-win situation to have ROM Manager (even the free version, just for the ability to easily flah either recovery). And it is definitely advantageous to buy it as well.

Do I have to uninstall SPR prior (How?) to installing ROM Manager?

Nope just install ROM Manager, then when you open it, it will give you the option up top to flash Clockwork... at the bottom one of the choices is to flash an alternate recovery which is where you can swith back to SPR if you want... same if you want to flash back to Clockwork just chose the option up top to flash Clockwork.

Seriously anyone that is rooted and going to run ROMs should have ROM Manager, not saying that you shouldn't also know how to install a ROM with out it, but it makes it a lot easier to switch ROMs back and forth. Then if you run into problems you can always use your knowledge to go about it the old way... :)

Yeah, ROM Manager is quickly becoming a required app. Literally. If you go to ROM Manager's entry in the Market with CyanogenMod installed you'll see you can only "uninstall updates", not "uninstall".

Yeah, ROM Manager is quickly becoming a required app. Literally. If you go to ROM Manager's entry in the Market with CyanogenMod installed you'll see you can only "uninstall updates", not "uninstall".

yea thats cause koush made it a system app in cyanogenmod

yea thats cause koush made it a system app in cyanogenmod

And that's a great idea. ROM Manager is a boon to everyone, regardless of the ROM they're using. It should practically be part of the official Android system! ;)

Haha, look at the new description for Ultimate Droid in ROM Manager. Oh Koush, you never cease to be accurate. :)

Back
Top Bottom