• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] 4.3 Rooting Help

Granite1

Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Got the wife a Note2 a few months back, now she's been complaining that she can't tether like she could with the old Evo. :rolleyes:

Not to hijack this thread guys, but when you run Skipps Toolkit to root, does it wipe the phone clean?

HTC devices usually get wiped clean when they are rooted, I've never worked with a Samsung before.

Reactions: DonB
On HTC devices when you unlock the bootloader it automatically wipes the phone as a security measure. If someone were to steal a phone and unlock the bootloader to gain access to the device, any personal information on it will be erased.

I assumed this would also do it, but didn't read it anywhere. I'm a Samsung noob, so yinz will probably see more from me before this is done. :p

Upvote 0
I'm sorry that's a whole different story, unlocking a phone and rooting it are two different things. A phone with a locked bootloader cannot be rooted until unlocked otherwise you'ed wipe it and may even brick it. Assuming you're on Sprint, I assure you that your Note 2's bootloader is not locked otherwise CF-Auto would've mentioned that. If you will, you may root your Note 2 by following this tutorial.

P.S: Using a word like "yinz" when talking to a non native English speaker who comes from the other half of the globe would give them a hard time. I was like what?!!!!! At first I thought it was a typo, but it was too extreme to be a typo, so I looked it up and found that it is a term for "you all" used in Pittsburgh, PA. Well, that's News for me, so thanks lol

Upvote 0
Ok, I decided to split my info out into a separate thread, I have different needs from the OP. :)

OK, I have a custom recovery, and I renamed the restore recovery files.

Now Knox is blocking me every step of the way! I try to open SuperSU / Blocked. Even loaded the Knox Blocker by Viperboy / Blocked. WTH do I need to do to disable Knox?

I tried a bunch of stuff in Skipps utility, but nothing seems to work. :(

EDIT: My god, I can be dense sometimes, lol.

I got it. I had the SuperSU Installer loaded, not SuperSU. I went to the play store and just downloaded SuperSU. Once I opened it up, it disabled Knox. Excellent!!

Reactions: DonB and Doc
Upvote 0
Good for you. Actually, this is a common issue. I just want to add that in some cases one won't be able to update SuperSU from Google Play. If this happens, Just downside SuperSU apk from the author's website and install it. However, even that won't be enough in some other cases and you loose the root rights every time you restart your phone. If this happens, just open SuperSU and from the settings tab select Re-install (Cleanup for re-installation from Google Play) then restart your phone, update and you're fine.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Ok, I decided to split my info out into a separate thread, I have different needs from the OP. :)

OK, I have a custom recovery, and I renamed the restore recovery files.

Now Knox is blocking me every step of the way! I try to open SuperSU / Blocked. Even loaded the Knox Blocker by Viperboy / Blocked. WTH do I need to do to disable Knox?

I tried a bunch of stuff in Skipps utility, but nothing seems to work. :(

EDIT: My god, I can be dense sometimes, lol.

I got it. I had the SuperSU Installer loaded, not SuperSU. I went to the play store and just downloaded SuperSU. Once I opened it up, it disabled Knox. Excellent!!

Just saw your thread and was going to ask you if you loaded Superuser Su, looks like you figured it out, ;)

Now you're roaming the Note II section and I'm leaving, LOL

Upvote 0
Just saw your thread and was going to ask you is you loaded Superuser Su, looks like you figured it out, ;)

Now you're roaming the Note II section and I'm leaving, LOL

Tell me about it! :rolleyes:
I could have done this a few months ago, but she wouldn't let me touch it. :mad:

It's fully rooted now, but she's still on the stock Rom. Did a nandroid already, first order of business. You taught me well. :)

I'm leaning on her to let me flash a new rom for her, still isn't having any of it. :p

Reactions: Doc and DonB
Upvote 0
Until TW kitkat is released, I wouldn't flash any of the current 4.3 roms, if she allows you to flash something, I would try Omni with the newest 3/26 plasma kernel. It's aosp but everything is incredibly stable :)

Hey Andy, long time no see my friend!! :)

Yeah, she's still giving me a hard time with it, trying to talk her into trying AOSP. Now it's rooted she's really careful when I have it. :p

Yep theres a lot of nice ones out there, im testing this one:
[Rom]Team Venum - STS v1.2 - Odexed/Tweaked- MA7/MK4 3/25 - xda-developers

His first version was great cant wait to try this out.....:)

I'll run that one by her too Doc, Like I said earlier, she's not too keen on letting me mess with it.

When she had my OG Evo, I'd flash all kinds of different Roms without telling her what was going on. Used to piss her off something fierce!!:D

Reactions: DonB and Doc
Upvote 0
That's why we have Nandroid, and you can pull a David Copperfield, by the time to flash and play you could have here nandroided back ;) :p

I'll run that one by her too Doc, Like I said earlier, she's not too keen on letting me mess with it.

When she had my OG Evo, I'd flash all kinds of different Roms without telling her what was going on. Used to piss her off something fierce!!:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones