• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spyware/Stalkerware Question

I believe spyware/stalkerware was installed on my Android phone. I will ask a few questions and hopefully someone can tell me if I should worry or not.
1. How long does someone need to have physical access of your phone in order to download and install Spyware/Stalkerware from the internet or Play store? 20sec.? 1min.? 10min.?
2. Can spyware record everything you do on screen, when I say record I mean literally film everything you do on screen like the screen recording option, from opening apps,pictures,mail to searches on google and so on...
3. If I had Avast pro while the spyware was downloaded and installed would it detect it?
4. Do Avast pro(2021) and Bitdefender pro(2021) detect spyware?
5. If someone had physical access of your phone for even 30 seconds can they download and install spyware?
6. What type of spyware is most common? Key logger, screen recorder(if there is a spyware such as this one).
Thank you for the answers and help!

I believe spyware/stalkerware was installed on my Android phone. I will ask a few questions and hopefully someone can tell me if I should worry or not.
1. How long does someone need to have physical access of your phone in order to download and install Spyware/Stalkerware from the internet or Play store? 20sec.? 1min.? 10min.?
2. Can spyware record everything you do on screen, when I say record I mean literally film everything you do on screen like the screen recording option, from opening apps,pictures,mail to searches on google and so on...
3. If I had Avast pro while the spyware was downloaded and installed would it detect it?
4. Do Avast pro(2021) and Bitdefender pro(2021) detect spyware?
5. If someone had physical access of your phone for even 30 seconds can they download and install spyware?
6. What type of spyware is most common? Key logger, screen recorder(if there is a spyware such as this one).
Thank you for the answers and help!

in order for your phone to be hacked, the hack would need to gain root permission to change the os to the hackers liking.....in other words, the hacker would need to root your phone first so that they can install spyware.

what phone do you have? this will determine if this is possible as not all phones are rootable. if the phone came with a locked bootloader then the likelihood of gaining root goes bye bye. locked bootloader=no root.....so....it will depend on what phone you have.

now to your questions:
1. the person would need to have access to not only your phone, but a computer. they would need to have all the necessary files to be able to communicate with your phone.....mainly adb and fastboot.

2.possibly do not know what kind of spyware that is out there, and do not really want to know.

3. probably not

4.avast and other antivirus software are not really needed on android. they are more for a peace of mind. in order for an action to be completed in android you will need an app for it. and android will not install an app unless you tell it to. there are some slick adware that can infect your phone, but that is not on the level of hacking a phone. i have been on android since its inception and i have never used an antivirus software on my devices.

5. 30 sec? thats not enough time to hack a phone.

6. no idea on what is popular

hope that helps.

one other thing........

if you think you have been hacked, i would, first before you do anything, change all of your account info's....all of them.....get another email account and change your accounts to use that email. i would also change your passwords and setup 2 step verification on all account where applicable as well.

and lastly after all that is done i would then factory reset your phone or better yet, i would flash a firmware update for your phone. this should delete any hack or spyware that's on your phone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom