• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Strange high frequency sound coming from phone when connecting to USB

CuBz

Android Expert
Sep 21, 2010
UK
www.amafialife.com
I put a new SD card in my phone, and when I connected it to my laptop via USB, it started making a very high pitched, annoying, noise....it continued until the drivers had installed, then it stopped instantly.

I will ask the exact question that was on my mind when i heard it...

...What the hell was that?!?!????

It's the capacitors in the phone almost all electrical equipment dose this when there is a voltage going through them 9 times out of 10 you can't hear it or its just background noise but now and then you will notice it, I get it from time to time from the charger itself its nothing to normally worry about unless its all the time and increasing in level, if it starts to do that then it needs looking at.

Prim example is listen closely to any TV when its on you will find a high pitch noise :)

So in short don't worry unless its all the time and getting loader.

Upvote 0
It's the capacitors in the phone almost all electrical equipment dose this when there is a voltage going through them 9 times out of 10 you can't hear it or its just background noise but now and then you will notice it, I get it from time to time from the charger itself its nothing to normally worry about unless its all the time and increasing in level, if it starts to do that then it needs looking at.

Prim example is listen closely to any TV when its on you will find a high pitch noise :)

So in short don't worry unless its all the time and getting loader.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but the sound was coming from the phone speaker, I am 100% sure of this as I put it to my ear when I was looking for the source of the sound. I was already aware of what you explained, but the fact that this noise came from the speaker, is what is baffling me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones