• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Super Bowl LVII

Congrats Aug!! and congrats me... I didn't see my team winning.

just.jpg

The result of that call made the end of the game anticlimactic. The Chiefs showed total respect for the Eagles ability to drive the field and score by kneeling off the clock. That call definitely changed the pace and perhaps the outcome of the game. That doesn't make it a bad call. Calls late in a game are always held up to high scrutiny, especially when they seem to influence the outcome.

My son and I have discussed the questionable calls and no calls all season. The calls early in a game likely have more impact on a game than one at the end. Subsequent play calls and execution often change after a call. Each call changing the complexion of the game, often minutely, but the game has been altered. It's the nature of the game with judgement calls. Reviews in slomo and a dozen angles are still subject to judgement and often remain controversial.
I see no fix for judgement calls and reviews are not the answer IMO.

As a fan I will continue to bitch about the calls and lack thereof. It's part of the game to me.

Kansas city was given the game because of the so-called penalty towards the end.
Someone would have posted the same thing if Philly had won.
I'm certainly not one to defend the refs. I think they were terrible this whole post season. And I wouldn't have minded seeing a no-call there as well. That said, it was still a chip shot field goal. Granted, Philly would have probably had about a minute and a half to drive the field instead of only a couple seconds, but to say this was "giving" the game to KC is a bit much. Also, the dude admitted that he held and hoped the refs wouldn't call it.

I'm certainly not one to defend the refs. I think they were terrible this whole post season. And I wouldn't have minded seeing a no-call there as well. That said, it was still a chip shot field goal. Granted, Philly would have probably had about a minute and a half to drive the field instead of only a couple seconds, but to say this was "giving" the game to KC is a bit much. Also, the dude admitted that he held and hoped the refs wouldn't call it.
I too thought the play calling all season was just terrible. Part of the problem is the current rules, especially the protection rules, and up to be called or not at a refs discretion. I do not envy them in their damned if they do or don't job.

I too thought the play calling all season was just terrible. Part of the problem is the current rules, especially the protection rules, and up to be called or not at a refs discretion. I do not envy them in their damned if they do or don't job.
I'm still not a fan of replay. I think the standard of irrefutable proof is often not correct. I like the 50-drunks in a bar standard. If 50 drunks in a bar could pick out a bad call in real time, then fix it. If 60 FPS film has to be slowed down an enhanced far better than the Zapruder film to make a questionable reversal, then let the play stand. I'm often amazed at how accurate the refs are though when it is slowed down like that. :eek:

I watched the game through a KC fan's eyes. I saw nothing out of the ordinary compared to recent officiating. I will not say all officiating was good this year. Consider the catch and fumble that resulted in a TD that was over tuned with a review. You can pick any game apart by the bad calls or no calls. I don't think that any game I watched this season was well officiated or was deliberately gifted to another team.

Back
Top Bottom