• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switch from iPhone to Incredible?

Thanks again to all those that chimed in after my initial "thank you."

So is it the general consensus that I will have a very difficult time finding the Incredible in-stock? I'm looking at Verizon's web site right now, and that badge right by the phone says it won't ship until mid-July at the earliest. I mean I do plan on going to my local Verizon store this weekend to try it out a little more in-depth than I did the first time. I know a user mentioned Best Buy may have them in-stock. I don't have a problem purchasing the phone from them since when I opened up my Verizon Wireless account before I switched to AT&T, I went to my local BB, so that's not an issue. I just know with me, if I play around with it and I fall in love with it, I'm going to want to walk out of the store with the phone that day. I'm the type of person that gets impatient. But the thing that stood out to me is that the dimensions are very similar to the iPhone, which I like, because I don't want to obviously carry around a bulky phone in my pocket.

Upvote 0
My post, where I provided him links to several threads with lots of discussion on this exact issue was deleted? I simply informed the OP this has been discussed, provided him links to the other threads with information pertinent to his question, and gave him the search terms i used to find those threads. How was that post "rude"?

Geez, talk about overreacting...

Just fyi, I didn't delete your thread. The MOD did and I wouldn't call the MODS out. Take a look at the post and note that Slug deleted it. You can PM and ask him your question. Nevertheless, there was a tone to your post that seemed rude, especially taken together with the post that was truly rude. It is against Forum policy to be rude to newbies, which was the transgression in the above post. Nevertheless, PM slug and slug it out with him.

Upvote 0
Former iPhone user here. Original (yes I waited in line on launch day) and 3G. Switched to Verizon a month ago and couldn't be happier. The Incredible is a great phone and very iPhone-like (in a good way) but also much better in a lot of ways.

Things I like more than iPhone:

1) widgets. These are GREAT and much better than having screens full of icons. Check out Beautiful Widgets in Marketplace. You can have a home widget that shows time, date, and weather. Click on weather and it opens your designated weather app. Tap on time and it opens your clock app. Tap on date and it opens your designated calendar. Awesome.

2) SenseUI

3) Swype! Seriously, almost makes Android worth it on its own.

4) voice search - hold button, say "navigate to xxxx" and navigation starts. Hold button, say "call xxxxx mobile" and call initiates.

5) speech to text

6) google voice

7) one touch buttons can be placed on screen to toggle things like silent, vibrate, plane, wifi, bt, gps, etc.

8) verizon service

Things I miss from iPhone

1) MobileMe sync but I've found Google calendar and contacts sync well with iCal and Addressbook on my Mac.

Upvote 0
My wife and I had iPhones for over a year (on a two-year contract) and we bought Incredibles on launch day and have not looked back. You've read the pros and cons above, but I just wanted to encourage you more. We ended up selling our iPhones for more than we paid for them on ebay and could not be happier.

Most (not all) things that I missed about the iPhone at first were easy to meet or exceed on the Incredible through apps. Apple gives you apps and says "these are perfect, use them" and Android gives you apps and says "these are okay, but download other shit and see what you like."

I prefer choice.

Upvote 0
I don't think Android is only for 'tinkering' people. It's fun to play with and customize, but I don't think you have to be a Linux nerd just to use one. I would, however, recommend an iPhone to an older person, or someone who doesn't really use or enjoy computers at all. If you think computers are just for facebook and youtube then I would definitely go for the iPhone, but Android is easy to use and customize for anyone with an average level of computer proficiency.

Anyways, get an iPhone if you want one. The iPhone 4 looks like it's nice.

Reactions: Seand442
Upvote 0
If you still want to keep some iPhone like screen functionality, you can install ADW Launcher, which does the zoom in and out sort of thing the iphone does with the icons, and lets you side swipe the applications instead of up and down swiping.

Plus I think it feels a lot snappier than sense.

To get the time/weather widget back, install Fancy Widget. The only thing different about it than the sense widget is it doesn't animate the screen. (Such as windshield wipers when raining etc)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones