• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile LTE Discussion Thread(Companion to Location Thread)

T-Mobile is better for its hspa+ network.

More coverage.

From the screenshots I've seen for LTE on T-Mobile the speeds are no better than current HSPA+ speeds.

So, Why all the excitement for something that is only theoretically better in the distant future?

Better Question, Why isn't t-mobile focusing on giving all users 42mbps speeds on their existing towers?
That costs money and LTE is the future, just wait till the network matures itself more and they start allocating more spectrum to it also for any further expansion they'll be waiting for the 600MHz auction

T-Mobile is better for its hspa+ network.

More coverage.

From the screenshots I've seen for LTE on T-Mobile the speeds are no better than current HSPA+ speeds.

So, Why all the excitement for something that is only theoretically better in the distant future?

Better Question, Why isn't t-mobile focusing on giving all users 42mbps speeds on their existing towers?

Because even at equivalent download speeds, LTE is still better. Typically, LTE has much lower ping times, and higher upload speeds. So while you phone isn't downloading information any more quickly, it is getting the requests sent faster, making the Internet seem faster. Additionally, this drastically improves the call quality for VoiP users.

Also, T-Mobile currently is focused on getting LTE up and running in as many cities as possible. After they have LTE in most cities, scheduled by the end of the year, they will start bringing up Advanced LTE, which should provide a speed boost to LTE users.

Because even at equivalent download speeds, LTE is still better. Typically, LTE has much lower ping times, and higher upload speeds. So while you phone isn't downloading information any more quickly, it is getting the requests sent faster, making the Internet seem faster. Additionally, this drastically improves the call quality for VoiP users.

Also, T-Mobile currently is focused on getting LTE up and running in as many cities as possible. After they have LTE in most cities, scheduled by the end of the year, they will start bringing up Advanced LTE, which should provide a speed boost to LTE users.

I use SparePhone w/Google Voice and the call quality is alot better over LTE than HSPA+/HSPA

Better pings :)

Too bad I live in semi-rural Utah.
I wont see any LTE till everybody else has it.

LTE-A will be before of the end of the year

Based on real life usage, how's the service in the NYC/Westchester area? As I stated before, I'm on Sprint and really want to jump to T-mobile this coming fall.

AFAIK, those I know that have it - love it in the specified areas. That includes enjoying a healthy combination of HSPA+42 and LTE (LTE only in the NYC/LI region).

What holes?
maficOO.png

Sprint will have 2 networks running on 5 so that's 2 lines running at a max of 37mbps but tmobile in some areas will have 1 line running at 20 with a max of 150mbps then some could still have an HSPA+42 network to fall back on but most will be 21mbps after that

First off like I said sprint is going for stability right now which vzw doesn't with its 10x10 or 20x20. What I mean is when it's said and done sprint will have more towers with lte than vzw or att. Then they are going to focus on the three frequencies. Then makin it 10x10 in some markets.

First off like I said sprint is going for stability right now which vzw doesn't with its 10x10 or 20x20. What I mean is when it's said and done sprint will have more towers with lte than vzw or att. Then they are going to focus on the three frequencies. Then makin it 10x10 in some markets.

That is true, but doesn't discredit the point Gman was attempting to make. However, as you stated - Network Vision's goal is to create a dense network and not a blanketed one.

ATT & VZW were just going for looking nice on the map that's why they put there expectations at 5-12mbps because they knew by the time they were done with the initial rollout with towers spread so thin the network would essentially be congested so speeds would be well under the 40+ that 10x10MHz is supposed to average. Now theyre going back in urban markets, VZW adding AWS and ATT is going back adding WCS (which is around the same frequency as clearwire and probably will do terrible everywhere except outside under the tower)

People that live close to the towers with Sprint will probably have some issues with the phones switching among the 3 bands

Towers were so congested here in Rochester on Verizon that download speeds for me were often under 5mbps. Granted, that's still a major upgrade over their EDVO 3g, but not worth the money considering I was getting 7 mbps with T-Mobile HSPA and now well over 15 on LTE.

Towers were so congested here in Rochester on Verizon that download speeds for me were often under 5mbps. Granted, that's still a major upgrade over their EDVO 3g, but not worth the money considering I was getting 7 mbps with T-Mobile HSPA and now well over 15 on LTE.

That's because not only do vzw have a lot of customers with lte they don't have the towers to support em. That's what's sprint is trying to avoid. Tmobiles customer numbers help them well in this case.

That's because not only do vzw have a lot of customers with lte they don't have the towers to support em. That's what's sprint is trying to avoid. Tmobiles customer numbers help them well in this case.
There's no doubt about that. Though T-Mobile has announced that they have LTE live in 116 markets now covering roughly 157 million people. They certain have done a lot already considering they didn't have any official LTE markets in February.

Yeah I can confirm T-Mobile has lte in chicago I just switched today I have an unlocked lg escape I'm tryin to get rooted and upgraded to jellybean.

Can I please get a link to rooting this phone not to hijack the thread. I'm kinda fresh on unlocked phones and rooting and upgrading them.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373511079544.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373511079544.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 126
I've had LTE in Chicago for a while, but it's not been as fast or stable as hspa42 or the refarming.

Are anybody getting good speeds in the St. Louis, MO area with TMO? It seems like a few years ago, the few people I knew using tmo didn't seem to like it alot.

I know around here is AT&T country but I stop using them awhile go.

Are anybody getting good speeds in the St. Louis, MO area with TMO? It seems like a few years ago, the few people I knew using tmo didn't seem to like it alot.

I know around here is AT&T country but I stop using them awhile go.
From my understanding the spectrum available to tmo is limited, though the recent addition of spectrum should help them.

Akron Ohio is having great lte speeds.

GS4/iPhone5

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377134822330.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377134822330.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 123
Back
Top Bottom