• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Taking root for granted

novox77

Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Jul 7, 2010
Hey guys,

I've been quite busy with work and the Evo 3D launch that I haven't had time to check out the goings-on here.

But I did want to stop by to mention that I now own the Evo 3D, and my Evo 4G is now deactivated.

I actually felt sad leaving the Sprint store today after the activation... The Evo treated me very well, and ALL of my Android knowledge came from this phone. Sigh.

And I love my new phone! But the reason I'm writing this isn't to rave about Evo 3D. It's to say that, wow, I really took having root for granted. Now that I don't have it, I feel so handicapped. The way I interacted with my Evo 4G was so heavily influenced on root freedom that I'm really stumbling all over the place now. I forget that a lot of what I used to routinely do is simply not possible.

It showed me that for me to really get the full experience of an Android phone, I MUST root. It's not about battery life, or custom ROMs, or anything like that. It's about freedom. Try to appreciate what you have; there's never a guarantee that your next phone will be as awesome and free as the Evo 4G.

Cheers :)

Hey guys,

I've been quite busy with work and the Evo 3D launch that I haven't had time to check out the goings-on here.

But I did want to stop by to mention that I now own the Evo 3D, and my Evo 4G is now deactivated.

I actually felt sad leaving the Sprint store today after the activation... The Evo treated me very well, and ALL of my Android knowledge came from this phone. Sigh.

And I love my new phone! But the reason I'm writing this isn't to rave about Evo 3D. It's to say that, wow, I really took having root for granted. Now that I don't have it, I feel so handicapped. The way I interacted with my Evo 4G was so heavily influenced on root freedom that I'm really stumbling all over the place now. I forget that a lot of what I used to routinely do is simply not possible.

It showed me that for me to really get the full experience of an Android phone, I MUST root. It's not about battery life, or custom ROMs, or anything like that. It's about freedom. Try to appreciate what you have; there's never a guarantee that your next phone will be as awesome and free as the Evo 4G.

Definitely, I'll be getting the 3d but not till it has full root. If that's tomorrow or 6 months from now, whatever. The evo spoiled me and I'm not going back lol

Upvote 0
yeah that is why, im doing the waiting game. my upgrade is up next year so i will see:
1.what the specs of the phone
2.is it rootable?
3.how is the dev community supporting the phone.

i know what it is like because it took me 4 months before i decided to root my phone. believe me i do not care how awesome the next phone is if i cant root it then it is a no go for me. rooting now is a must. i'm so glad that htc decided to keep the bootloaders unlocked.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I love the way you put it Novox....I feel absolutely the same, it's like getting a glimpse of Heaven and having to come back down to live on Earth...How can you go back once you have the knowledge??? ;):p:D

Upvote 0
+10000 Novox, I enjoy my phone way more now I'm rooted. I do get phone envy from time to time when I hear about the 3D, but in the end I'm content for now. This time last year I had a lunky nextel the didn't do squat, now I'm creating themes and learning simple code. What the hell!
I probably will upgrade to the 3D when it's rooted and the development community is established. I need a safety net or I'll definitely eff it up. :D
Keep in touch my man, let us know how that beast turns out when root is achieved. :)

Upvote 0
yeah that is why, im doing the waiting game. my upgrade is up next year so i will see:
1.what the specs of the phone
2.is it rootable?
3.how is the dev community supporting the phone.

i know what it is like because it took me 4 months before i decided to root my phone. believe me i do not care how awesome the next phone is if i cant root it then it is a no go for me. rooting now is a must. i'm so glad that htc decided to keep the bootloaders unlocked.

Ditto. It took me 11 months to decide to root and it looks like I did it at the right time, right before GB came. This is another reason why I didn't get the 3VO for myself (Although, I got one for my wife).

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Precisely why I decided not to get my 3D that I had preordered. I now have a $50 gift card sitting in my wallet from the deposit wondering what to do with. I am running Mik2.1 which gives me an OS very, very similar to what is on the 3D. Yeah, I want the dual core and qHD screen, but 3D isn't at the top of my list and I really, really love the flexibility of being rooted. It's almost like shooting a middle finger to "the man". I may buy a 3D when it is fully exploited, but by then, there might be another option. I have come to the realization that the EVO rooted with Mik, CM7, or whatever ROM is going to be better (for me) than any other available (non-rooted) phone.

Upvote 0
Yep. I'm in the same boat. For no other reason than the support of this device by the dev community, I'm comfortable holding on to my Evo till something really amazing comes out. I'm not wowed by 3d. I'm wowed by raw power and huge memory. I need a big, beautiful screen. I'd like quality glass on a camera with a serious chip recording the light that comes through it.

Until there is a device that does something I want my Evo to do but it can't... I'm sticking on the E train.

Thanks to the Devs for pushing this device to it's limits.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones