• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Taking the Evo on vacation...

This week I took the family to South Padre Island and here's how the Evo "fit" into our lives...

1. Google maps w/voice navigation! Even the wife was impressed! lol! Seriously, finding the hotel, restaurants and local attractions were a breeze. Sure you can do it on the iPhone, but I could sit back and listen to the directions...for free.

2. Ah...the kids are bored as hell during the 5 hour drive. Ah! Loaded up Sprint TV and streamed Spongebob...all grins! Afterwards they watched Alice in Wonderland. Peace ensues.

3. Took the kids to the beach and the 8 megapixel camera captured the moment beautifully!!

evo4.jpg

4. Arrived at the hotel...argh...no wifi. No problem, launched the wireless tether app...yumm. I was able to check email, facebook and manage a website.

5. So we're at the hotel trying to get ready and the kids are restless. I pull out my ipad, connected it to the Evo and launched Netflix. Thank God...peace and harmony.

6. So we're ready for dinner. I used the "Around Me" app and found a fantastic restaurant on the bay side....took a picture to capture the moment...

evo5.jpg

7. Today I used navigation to direct us to the USS Lexington! I used the Evo's built in camera to capture the experience...

evo7.jpg

8. We then proceeded to head back home using the Evos navigation.

Just wanted to share how the Evo integrated into our lives :) Sure the Evo has some build quality issues, but they will be addressed. Just hang on folks and remember why you purchased the Evo in the first place...because it freakin kicks ass....

So my family and I live in Omaha and decided to take a weekend trip to the Mall of America. This is my experience.
It was a 6.5 hour drive. I put my phone in my car cradle and turned on the GPS.

I didn't have it plugged in, and I just left it on for about 3 hours. My battery dropped to around 60%ish. I decided to turn the screen off until I needed to see the GPS for the rest of the trip.

Once there, I didn't use my phone at the mall very much, but gps was still on. By the time we were done and got back to the hotel that night around 10ish, the battery was at about 20%. So it made it a whole day with heavy gps usage.

Now here's the kicker, that night, my wife and I wanted the kids to watch a cartoon to wind down. But there was nothing on TV. So I turned on 4G since Minneapolis is a 4G area. I turned on Sprint TV and let my kids watch an episode of Phineas and Ferb. The picture quality was perfect over 4G.

The next day I used the phone moderately at the mall, and then used its GPS on the 6.5 hour drive home from Minneapolis. No hiccups, and the battery was great.

All in all, LOVE THIS PHONE! I did things with it I just couldn't do on my iPhone. And being able to watch a cartoon with the kids before they went to bed was a level of convenience I never thought possible.

Thank you Evo, I love you.;)

Upvote 0
Now here's the kicker, that night, my wife and I wanted the kids to watch a cartoon to wind down. But there was nothing on TV. So I turned on 4G since Minneapolis is a 4G area. I turned on Sprint TV and let my kids watch an episode of Phineas and Ferb. The picture quality was perfect over 4G.

Minneapolis will be a 4g area, but currently is still waiting

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones