• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Test] Effects of JD on CM7 (FINISHED)

Jesus this was a long post, I won't blame anyone if they don't want to read it haha.

first of all it seems that about an hour or two into your day you charge your phone for a bit (as evidenced by the slight increase in each screenshot) either that or your phone has been blessed by Thor. However when the screenshots are compared side by side it seems that you charged it less on your juice defender day, not by much but noticeably so.

This is because I was actually doing a 'secret' first test, I left my phone in sleep with 100% while I slept, and upon waking charged it to 100% for the real test, that's what the upwards spike is, not sure why it never resets the timing though. I was doing this to test (Again, just for myself, I wanted to know which one was best for just letting it chill out on a table all night) which one slept longer without losing as much battery. I suppose I should have 'published' those results too but I wanted an overall vs. match between the two, since most people don't buy androids to let them sleep.

Second I see that you spent much less time in airplane mode on your juice defender test (as evidenced by tiny blue bar under your battery graph. JD is not equivalent to Airplane mode and obviously between the two, airplane mode is much better for battery life and the closest you can get to airplane mode in JD is Sleep hours where JD does not turn the radio on for a specified amount of time which i don't think you can do in the basic version. Also i assume you only have the basic version based on how close together the blue signal bars are when your phones screen is actually off, in the paid versions you can increase the amount of time JD waits between activating the radio and how long the radio stays on.

I realize that the Airplane mode appears to be different, but I believe this is just a conflict with some stuff. I set AMode to on for the exact same amounts of time, there are some errors in what they display sometimes, for example Tiger GBA is below 10% when I know for a fact it's using much more of my battery than even 30 or probably 60%. It may be hard to believe but I would have no reason to lie about this... or would I? ... o.O

Third in your tests I can see that the only time JD is actually doing anything is when your phones screen is off and it periodically is activating the radio for data sync (because this is JD's main feature). this is only happening for about the last hour or so of your JD test. it would be more helpful if you actually had your phones screen off for a longer period of time so JD could actually work longer and we could see a more defined result.

While this may be true, I kept my phone in idle mode at the end of the school day, for both tests. I'm not testing regular CM7 vs. fully optimized JD, just regular CM7 vs. average JD. Also, I left my screen off for the same amount of time (Unless you count the fact that my phone almost died the second test and couldn't remain in idle or it would die) both tests. Everything was the same, I was isolating it to one variable (Or doing the best I could to try and do so), JD or CM7 w/out it.

Essentially what i'm trying to say is that I'm questioning your use of the scientific method in this test, JD basic mainly only disables the data radio when your screeen is off, so when you have the screen on for most of the day JD is doing nothing. Also for someone like you who has their screen on for long periods of time I think that your earlier plan of using airplane mode is more effective. I use JD because I need to get texts and calls during the day and thus Airplane mode is not an option for me. Just some helpful criticism, and my 2

Back
Top Bottom