• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help TF300T cracked screen

Reactions: barney_rebel
Upvote 0
Glad you got it fixed. I'm just wondering how it was covered under warranty? Doesn't really matter though. As long as they replaced it. lol

I sure wish the would have put Gorilla Glass in on these tabs.

Well tbh I made a mis-diagnosis on the original post.

The LCD screen is cracked, the glass is okay, the touch screen is okay. If I plugged via hdmi to my tv, I can still use the tablet.

I have been reading about rare cases whereby the battery swells, and could crack the lcd. True?

In any case, I made the RMA, they fixed it and shipped it back to me. They didn't give an explanation, never asked for a credit card. I'll take it. :)

Upvote 0
Well tbh I made a mis-diagnosis on the original post.

The LCD screen is cracked, the glass is okay, the touch screen is okay. If I plugged via hdmi to my tv, I can still use the tablet.

I have been reading about rare cases whereby the battery swells, and could crack the lcd. True?

In any case, I made the RMA, they fixed it and shipped it back to me. They didn't give an explanation, never asked for a credit card. I'll take it. :)

Heck yeah!~~!~~! I don't blame you either. If that would have been me, it would have made my day to find out I didn't owe them anything. Most of the time when it goes back to Asus, it isn't cheap. lol :D

Upvote 0
Heck yeah!~~!~~! I don't blame you either. If that would have been me, it would have made my day to find out I didn't owe them anything. Most of the time when it goes back to Asus, it isn't cheap. lol :D

They just sent me a satisfaction survey. Besides not explaining to me what went wrong, I can't say they didn't do a good job.

Fixing it so quickly, not explaining the problem leads me to believe this is a common problem. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't look into the warranty.

Upvote 0
They just sent me a satisfaction survey. Besides not explaining to me what went wrong, I can't say they didn't do a good job.

Fixing it so quickly, not explaining the problem leads me to believe this is a common problem. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't look into the warranty.

It would have been neat if they told you what happened.

Upvote 0
Did you have a picture of the cracked screen?

579803_10151593062245180_1145942847_n.jpg

Upvote 0
Do you have a protective screen on it? I also noticed that my screen has some streaks.

Yeah cheap plastic 3-set I got off a chinese guy off eBay. Turns out, the distributor lives like 2 miles from me. Notice the corners are dusty and coming off. I took it off before sending it in.

When I got it repaired, I stuck a new one on. I did a better job this time, no bubbles and only a couple specs of dust.

Upvote 0
Yeah cheap plastic 3-set I got off a chinese guy off eBay. Turns out, the distributor lives like 2 miles from me. Notice the corners are dusty and coming off. I took it off before sending it in.

When I got it repaired, I stuck a new one on. I did a better job this time, no bubbles and only a couple specs of dust.

Ok. Ignoring that it might be the touchscreen inside. Doesn't look like you dropped it or applied to much pressure. Also it might have overheated. I had to get a new protective screen. (I know that it has been stated that there has been a lot of reports of problems with the screen. I just can't believe that a company like ASUS has a product that can have so much problems.)

Upvote 0
Ok. Ignoring that it might be the touchscreen inside. Doesn't look like you dropped it or applied to much pressure. Also it might have overheated. I had to get a new protective screen. (I know that it has been stated that there has been a lot of reports of problems with the screen. I just can't believe that a company like ASUS has a product that can have so much problems.)

Nope, I saw the Asus sign booting up and I left it (you know how long it takes, didn't want to stare at that). Came back and there was the crack.

It's also in a leather case I got from Amazon too. It's pretty decent.

Upvote 0
Nope, I saw the Asus sign booting up and I left it (you know how long it takes, didn't want to stare at that). Came back and there was the crack.

It's also in a leather case I got from Amazon too. It's pretty decent.

That is weird. Maybe software wise. Did you notice it on parts if the startup screen. (the start up scene is to long especially with the new 4.2.1 update it is even more slow).

Edit: Re-reading your post and looking at the picture in depth it may have shorted out.

Upvote 0
That is weird. Maybe software wise. Did you notice it on parts if the startup screen. (the start up scene is to long especially with the new 4.2.1 update it is even more slow).

Edit: Re-reading your post and looking at the picture in depth it may have shorted out.

Yeah I updated to 4.2.1. I uninstalled a bunch of apps, removed my google account (didn't want to do a factory reset and lose all my kids' high gaming progress) before sending it in. I noticed a significant boot up time improvement.

Upvote 0
I always wish there was a way to delete the apps without rooting.

Well, the good news is that you can now root without unlocking the bootloader. That means your warranty will stay intact. The only drawback is that you cannot flash a recovery like CWM or TWRP. Still, at least you still have the option to root and keep your warranty.

Here's a link to a thread that tells you how to root without unlocking the bootloader if you are interested.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2228613

Reactions: werewolfboy
Upvote 0
Well, the good news is that you can now root without unlocking the bootloader. That means your warranty will stay intact. The only drawback is that you cannot flash a recovery like CWM or TWRP. Still, at least you still have the option to root and keep your warranty.

Here's a link to a thread that tells you how to root without unlocking the bootloader if you are interested.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2228613

Thanks! I will have to look into this when I am at my house. :) .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones