• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Drone Thread

There was no threat of that here at my house. The software refused to let me take flight. Not a bad thing.

The video I took yesterday was hilarious. I was turning it off when I thought I was turning it on and visa versa. lmao! Lots of video of me landing the drone. :) The bit that I captured when I was in the air would make anyone viewing dizzy. Pretty funny. The stills I thought I took didn't take. After playing with the drone today.. it's push the shutter button once to focus and push and hold to take. Another idiot moment. I'm definitely not ready for prime time. :)

I was recording in 4k which made for some enormous files. The footage was nice and crisp and wasn't washed out considering my captures were in full sunlight without any ND filters.
Next time out I'll try 1080P and bump the FPS from 30 to 60. My drone has a 2X mechanical zoom and another 2X optical zoom that is only available in the 1080 mode. I'm anxious to double my zoom. Play and learn seems to be the ticket.

I finally got in some flying time this afternoon. I am still haven't gotten the knack of taking decent video. I'm getting closer a flight at a time. I did shoot a pic of my cabin I'll share. Lots of fun... lots to learn.
DJI_0035.JPG

Does the flight telemetry tell you your altitude? It doesn't seem to be more than 80 or so feet off the ground.

I didn't look but before taking the shot but that's got to be close. Yes, I have altitude, speed, distance from takeoff, direction, etc. The drone and controller are both great in their features. There is so much going on that it's a bit tough to see on my S8+. I even considered a mini tab of some nature but it would be crippled unless I put it online. For now I'll figure out how to squint. :)

Added
Out of curiosity I took a look at the .jpg details. The picture was shot at an altitude of 372 meters. The nearest town's elevation is 373 meters. The photo was taken at the river which is lower but the drone was in the air. By my calculations... 80' :)

Last edited:
I wonder if drones look tasty to birds of prey? Or, if the eagles thought it was some sort of intruder into their territory?

If nothing else, I'm sure some inventive chemist will make a killing selling eagle repellent to drone owners. ;)

I wonder if drones look tasty to birds of prey? Or, if the eagles thought it was some sort of intruder into their territory?

If nothing else, I'm sure some inventive chemist will make a killing selling eagle repellent to drone owners. ;)

The phantom is big and white, so may it looks liek a bird they hunt? Repellent, lol, it probably already exists.

Don't you know that Phantom owner freaked out when he saw his $$$ captured.

Exactly, though it kept recording, so it was probably salvageable. Maybe, LOL

I don't even want to consider the laws you would unintentionally be breaking. :eek:
Hilarious that there is a rule/law/regualtion now that says no 'weapons' are allowed to be attached to drones, lol.
hmmmmmm this looks tempting:

it starts at $399 with a fly more combo of $499.

.....and you do not have to register it with the FAA if you are in the US.

iJustine :hearts: lol

This drone intrigues me, especially because it is light enough to not need registered. All sort of things open up due to that. Certainly helps as drone restrictions start to ramp up around the globe.

Hilarious that there is a rule/law/regualtion now that says no 'weapons' are allowed to be attached to drones, lol.

iJustine :hearts: lol

This drone intrigues me, especially because it is light enough to not need registered. All sort of things open up due to that. Certainly helps as drone restrictions start to ramp up around the globe.

Doesn't Louis Rossmann have one of these that he flies around inside his cubbyhole store in NY?

ok i just saw this and damn it, i want one!!!!

here is a quick review of it:

at $800....that's mighty tempting

question is am i better off waiting or getting the mavic 2 pro???

Back
Top Bottom