• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The future seems so dim on Verizon... maybe I'll get an iPhone

I've still never handled a WP7 device. Would you describe them as "developer friendly" devices? I like my phone to be a sandbox and not a walled garden.

I'm not too familiar with the "Developer friendly" concepts.

I wouldn't say it's closed off like the garden of IOS but it's not as open as the kingdom of Android

The applications for Wp7 are excellent & it's a good OS....I think people are
A)too stuck inside Apple & Google's ass to actually give credit where credit is due
B)Think of Windows Phone 7 as Windows Mobile 6.5 even though they are nothing alike

You should definitely give it a hands on at least...The Nodo(No Donut, crack at Android) update at a lot of enhancements to the phone and Mango update is soon going to be released and it will bring in even more feature.

Verizon is bringing in the HTC trophy next month and Nokia may even be releasing their devices later this year...which means great devices

Upvote 0
I'm not trolling. Consider this a suicidal plea for help. I paid full retail for my Eris and my contract is up next month. I'm running a CM7 ROM and I'm not having any hardware problems, so I suppose I don't have an urgent need to upgrade... but I really don't see any light at the end of the VZW tunnel. If I get another android device, I must be able to root and have full custom ROM/kernel access like I do with the Eris. There are plenty of new devices coming out, but each one is flawed and would require a certain degree of settling.

Thunderbolt: Seems too bulky and I'm moving to a part of Cali that doesn't yet have 4G access. Also, I'm reluctant to get a single-core device. It still stings to remember the release of Google Earth that wouldn't work on ARMv6 processors, only a couple of months after I purchased my brand new phone. I see today's new single core phones as the very last of their generation, like the Eris was the last of the premium-priced ARMv6 phones. Pretty sure a TB user will feel buyer's remorse by the end of the year. Still... the TB has been rooted and I know it'll have a future with CyanogenMOD.

Incredible 2: Single core processor. I think the 4-inch screen is just about right for me. I could see myself being happy with this world phone if it were rooted, but I've read about its signed bootloader and I wonder if it will prove invincible like the Moto phones.

LG Revolution - Bigger than Thunderbolt, single core... but rumored to have the Netflix app, which has a powerful appeal to me. Of course, that app might be ported to other devices. But then, the iPhone has always had a Netflix app...

Bionic - Motorola seems to make all the wrong decisions. I hate motoblur, I hate locked bootloaders. I'm just gonna pretend this doesn't exist.

I'd be happy to ditch Verizon and head to T-Mobile if it weren't for all my poor inlaws who are on Verizon and would have to stop feeding their kids if they had to burn actual minutes to call my wife.

Really, it's because I sense a change in the winds. Carriers are starting to impose more anti-dev policies on manufacturers, and I've even heard the rumor that Verizon is tracking rooted users for some nefarious purpose. I'm sad because this is a release season for new devices and nothing at all gets me excited. At least with an iPhone I'll have a top-of-the-line device for an entire year.

tldr, someone shake me.

SOunds kind of crazy, but maybe you should pick up a used Incredible. You can get one off craigs list or ebay for cheap and it is way better than the eris. plus, CM7 kicks ass on it. I'm going to use it until something more appealing comes out. and when its time to sell it, you could probably get what you paid for it. JUst an idea! After i read all the trouble people had with it, i thought i would have the phone, but after owning it (and putting CM7 on it), it is the best phone i have ever had. and the battery life is great now.

Upvote 0
Iphone = Itunes. That should answer any question you have. I have an iphone 3gs through work, and an Eris. I hate that stupid Iphone, but even if I LOVED It....I would still have to use ITunes at some point. Bleh.

This is the same deal as with computers. If you are a Mac-nut, you will prefer Iphone to Android. If you are a PC-guy, particularly if you LIKE to tinker with things, you will likely prefer Android. I prefer my Eris to my Iphone to such a degree that it isnt even worth comparing. The only reason I keep the stupid Iphone is a) it's free, and b) they wont let me connect my android device into the network to retrieve emails from work, because I wont let the IT guy touch my Eris...

Upvote 0
Iphone = Itunes. That should answer any question you have. I have an iphone 3gs through work, and an Eris. I hate that stupid Iphone, but even if I LOVED It....I would still have to use ITunes at some point. Bleh.

This is the same deal as with computers. If you are a Mac-nut, you will prefer Iphone to Android. If you are a PC-guy, particularly if you LIKE to tinker with things, you will likely prefer Android. I prefer my Eris to my Iphone to such a degree that it isnt even worth comparing. The only reason I keep the stupid Iphone is a) it's free, and b) they wont let me connect my android device into the network to retrieve emails from work, because I wont let the IT guy touch my Eris...

I actually do have a Macbook, and iTunes runs pretty well on here, so stronger iTunes integration is actually a strength for me.

Upvote 0
So you're leaving an OS because of a manufacturer (but not the one that makes the OS)?

Sony phones will come with an unlocked bootloader
Sony Ericsson to Unlock Bootloader in Xperia Models | PCWorld

This probably includes the Xperia Play which should be on VZW soon.

Motorola is following suit: Motorola Will Make Its Phones Easier To Mod | ITProPortal.com

Motorola News: Atrix May Get Bootloader Unlocker Like Motorola Xoom's - WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS

Funny you say you won't have access to 4G so you don't get a 4G phone, but you are "reluctant to get a single-core device." You do realize this is like buying 8GB of RAM to use on a 32 bit version of Windows, right? You need the program to utilize both cores. The benchmark test used to not even incorporate the second core of the XOOM in the test results. If that app doesn't use it, what makes you think you'll see the benefits of dual cores in other apps which, most likely, won't optimize dual cores?

Also, 4G is not extra. Nor is it capped on VZW. Yet.

This isn't to keep you on VZW or Android. Quite frankly, I may get the iPhone 5 on AT&T this Fall, if it truly is a global phone as it is rumored to be. It will be dual-core and knowing Apple, they WILL make sure that native apps, as well as other big-name third-party apps will utilize both cores. Much like they had apps optimized specifically for the dual-core iPad 2. FYI, the iPad smokes the XOOM in just about everything (insert Flash joke here). That's why I too made the switch from Windows to OSX. My switch to the iPhone? It's more about me leaving the States for two years and living in the Caribbean and the carriers there using only AT&T band frequency phones, but still not AT&T themselves. If my upgrade is early enough, and the iPhone 5 comes to VZW (I can't imagine it not), it might be a no-brainer. I don't want the Droid 2 Global then. Though there is a rumor the DInc2 could be global.

And I could go on and on. You have an Eris. I did too. It sucks, I know. But it's your hardware that's holding you back. Not Android. And as hard as it is to believe, not the manufacturers either. You haven't even experienced the benefits that lie between the Eris and a locked bootloader yet. And the later is going to change soon, anyway.

If I leave Android, it's because I'm fed up with unfinished updates to the OS and a lack of hardware optimization. But it still beats iOS with it's functionality and, as weird as it may sound, widgets.

About your fear of carriers stifling root users, it's nothing at all. They can not legally do anything to ruin your service as per your contract. If you illegally wirelessly tether, well...you are breaching the contract. Rooting your Android phone or jailbreaking your iOS device is not against the law.

Upvote 0
This is the same deal as with computers. If you are a Mac-nut, you will prefer Iphone to Android. If you are a PC-guy, particularly if you LIKE to tinker with things, you will likely prefer Android.

Not necessarily. I have a house full of Macs and can't stand windows ... but my phone and my tablet both run Android, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Choosing an OS isn't always some kind of religious decision, like the fanboys want to believe ... sometimes it's just about what works for you.

Upvote 0
Regarding the Sony devices being unlockable: I read that only the SIM-unlocked, non-carrier-branded devices will be unlockable, so anything on Verizon will be the same old story. Still... they might be easily rootable, and I'd consider any devices they release.

Remember when the Eris launched alongside the Moto Droid? The Arm6 processors didn't seem like they would be significantly worse than the brand new Arm7s, but in only a few months everything with an Arm6 was feeling its age while the Droid was at the vanguard of the new generation of tech.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily. I have a house full of Macs and can't stand windows ... but my phone and my tablet both run Android, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Choosing an OS isn't always some kind of religious decision, like the fanboys want to believe ... sometimes it's just about what works for you.

This is spot on. I went with a macbook because I couldn't stand where windows was going. And while I wouldn't consider buying a windows computer in the foreseeable future, that doesn't make me an Apple loyalist. Of course, I also own three iPods, and the way they work, on their own and in conjunction with the macbook, is pretty slick. But I'm still not a fanboy. I tossed my wife's POS toshiba laptop and talked her into another macbook pro... okay, if I'm not a fanboy, I do recognize the advantages of running an apple ecosystem. With all the apple stuff I have so far, I suppose I have even a better reason than the average person to get an iPhone.

I went and handled the Incredible 2 yesterday. It's pretty nice, but my top choice remains the Thunderbolt. I won't settle for a year-old phone because I have an ace up my sleeve. I still have my wife's 2-year upgrade coming this November, and she's perfectly happy with her OG Droid. So if some wicked device drops next summer that makes me hate my Thunderbolt, I can snag it and pass the TB off to my ever-grateful wife.

Upvote 0
You are trolling but no one cares.

Get an iPhone if it makes you happy. What ever phone gets the job done for you is the phone you should use be it feature phone or smart phone. Id wait if you want to go the iPhone route. No sense in dropping 200 on a phone that was obsolete 6+ months ago.

I myself am waiting until the LG revolution releases in the next few weeks, then I will decide between the Tbolt and the Rev. LG tends to be much more friendly to the mod community.

Upvote 0

Agreed...Im all for supporting and loving an OS or manufacturer....but these fanboys are really....weird to me. So Snobbish(within their own community...especially in the android community)

whatever works for you is cool.....and it's okay to experiment

Upvote 0
You are trolling but no one cares.

Get an iPhone if it makes you happy. What ever phone gets the job done for you is the phone you should use be it feature phone or smart phone. Id wait if you want to go the iPhone route. No sense in dropping 200 on a phone that was obsolete 6+ months ago.

I myself am waiting until the LG revolution releases in the next few weeks, then I will decide between the Tbolt and the Rev. LG tends to be much more friendly to the mod community.

LMAO why is it everytime someone expresses something that speaks about leaving Android for another OS or whatever, it is trolling. Why can't it just be someone utilizing these forums to get feedback from people to see if other people feel the same way he does or find out why people see it differently.....

Trolling to me would be him coming and out right bashing the Android COmmunity, which he did not.

200 dollars on an obsolete phone? The iphone 4, may not be a phone of my choice but to be honest it still holds it own against a majority of Android Devices to date.

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Nothing to do with his opinion. It is a thread title that invites fan boys to come and spew crap. But like I said... No one cares anymore.

My second point... Get what ever phone you want no one cares.

I care.

I want Android to succeed. I want Apple to fail. Fanboy? Maybe, but I am entitled to my opinion as are you. It seems as though you care enough to post in this thread.

Upvote 0
I care.

I want Android to succeed. I want Apple to fail. Fanboy? Maybe, but I am entitled to my opinion as are you. It seems as though you care enough to post in this thread.

oh androidforums...if i am ever feeling down and I need a good laugh,
i always know i can count on you to provide me with amusing posts
like these

lol why exactly do you want Apple to fail?

Upvote 0
oh androidforums...if i am ever feeling down and I need a good laugh,
i always know i can count on you to provide me with amusing posts
like these

lol why exactly do you want Apple to fail?

:D
Glad someone finds this stuff amusing too.
:D

Apple is the only one I want to fail, and for reasons that don't really need to be discussed in depth here. I would just be asking for someone to try to convince me otherwise.

Maybe I should start a thread on why to like or dislike this or that...
:cool:

Upvote 0
competition is the best thing for consumers. The reason android is so great is BECAUSE the iphone was great. The iphone set a huge standard that took other companies years to catch up. Now apple and google are neck and neck, trying to make the better product. What do we get? better phones, be it iphones or android phones. Everyone has a choice, and most people here chose android. But the only way to LOSE is dedicate yourself to one company for good. i'm not a fanboy of any of the phones. I will, and continue to, buy what ever phone (and computer) suits my needs the best.

Reactions: Ted S
Upvote 0
competition is the best thing for consumers. The reason android is so great is BECAUSE the iphone was great. The iphone set a huge standard that took other companies years to catch up. Now apple and google are neck and neck, trying to make the better product. What do we get? better phones, be it iphones or android phones. Everyone has a choice, and most people here chose android. But the only way to LOSE is dedicate yourself to one company for good. i'm not a fanboy of any of the phones. I will, and continue to, buy what ever phone (and computer) suits my needs the best.

I agree 200%
In all aspects of my life, I am open to new experiences and change and any given day I can decide to change my mind and go in a completely different direction.

It's contradicting that people praise Android for being so open and diverse yet those who are within the community are closed.

Upvote 0
You are trolling but no one cares...

Quit trolling the pleasant and intelligent discussion in my thread!

So I'm only two weeks away from being eligible for my next upgrade, and I see that the HTC Trophy comes out as soon as this week. I'll have to go finger this WP7 device in the store and see if it lives up to Carmen's hype.

Upvote 0
Quit trolling the pleasant and intelligent discussion in my thread!

So I'm only two weeks away from being eligible for my next upgrade, and I see that the HTC Trophy comes out as soon as this week. I'll have to go finger this WP7 device in the store and see if it lives up to Carmen's hype.

I think if
A)you have an open mind
B)Remember that this OS is NOTHING like Windows Mobile

you will enjoy it.

The only downfall is

1)Multitasking---It does lack Multi-tasking however the restart up time is nearly as quick as pressing the home button on and Android phone, waiting for recent apps to come up and selecting the app

I thought it was an issue but all you have to do is hit the back button and it opens up nearly instantly

2)Ringtones---SOme people hate that you can't get custom ringtones....YET but honestly it's not that big of a deal :)

I managed to convert some diehard Android/IOS/Webos fanbois at my school to windows phone 7 so hopefully i may convert one more haha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones