• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The little things...(2.2 Update addons/changes)

I've got some little bugs, but so far my favorite new feature is the fact that the optical controller actually works pretty good now. :D

I am using the stock weather and clock app. You know the big clock with the weather animations. My location now longer updates any more....any one have this problem? Now it just says current location. Doesn't work for me after Froyo.

Looks like none of the location based services work. No new weather in news and weather widget...no location when I open google in a browser. and no weather location in main widget...HELP!!!!

Got the update this morning and I am one happy camper (handsfree dialing and, knock on wood, not a single random reboot all day)...for the most part.

I have one problem - and it's a biggie. My work voicemail is being forwarded to me me as an e-mail with a .wav attachment. On 2.1, by default, I had them opening and playing on the stock music player. Now, they won't play in 2.2. I get the following message...Unable to play this type of audio file. I honestly don't understand why it worked perfectly on 2.1 and not on 2.2.

So, I have several questions -
Are there any options for changing what kind of files the default media player recognizes?
Or, does anyone know how to "uncheck" the use of the default media player to play these files?
And, any recommendations for an app that will play my .wav files?

I've got to figure this out quickly or I'll be in a world of hurt next week - I'm on the road about 80% of the time. Thanks for any advice you can give!!

My unlock pattern sometimes bypasses and the phone just acts like it can unlock whenever anyone drags down. I also noticed that my facebook app is no longer getting updates, but I think it was messed up with 2.1 too (I'm refusing to update the app due to the battery issue).

Other than that, the phone seems legit faster. Lot of new apps added though, hate that crap.

edit: nvm the phone defaulted to "lock after 5 minutes"...eff that

I am using the stock weather and clock app. You know the big clock with the weather animations. My location now longer updates any more....any one have this problem? Now it just says current location. Doesn't work for me after Froyo.

Go to settings,Location,then put a check in the Google Location Services. I had the same problem and I figured it out today.

Go to settings,Location,then put a check in the Google Location Services. I had the same problem and I figured it out today.

They are all checked. I think my tower is messed up. I took a drive and had no data services at all. Any one have messed up 3G after froyo?

They are all checked. I think my tower is messed up. I took a drive and had no data services at all. Any one have messed up 3G after froyo?
I did for awhile and after a *228 and a reboot it seemed to fix itself. It would show the bars but no 3G symbol to the left like it used to. It seems to have ironed itself out. I've been tinkering so much with it since the upgrade there's no telling what I did to fix it.

I did for awhile and after a *228 and a reboot it seemed to fix itself. It would show the bars but no 3G symbol to the left like it used to. It seems to have ironed itself out. I've been tinkering so much with it since the upgrade there's no telling what I did to fix it.

Did you program or update PRLs?

Not to complain but does Froyo suck anyone's battery dry like mine?

It "shouldn't", but yes, a number of people around here are having different problems causing battery drain. A couple issues involve lots of lag and the CPU being overworked - Seems to be due to incompatibilities and is fixed with a factory reset, then the 100% awake is cropping back for a number of people, then it seems that battery calibration data may have been lost, so simply running through a few full cycles re-calibrates and fixes this, and finally theres a few others just seem to be getting less total battery use and I'm trying to work with them to figure out WTH is going on there.

You can search the forums for your specific problem for possible answers to whichever is your issue.

Is there still no option in the mail app to "mark all as read"? It doesn't seem like it to me, but the update emptied my mailbox so I'm not sure...

Looks like none of the location based services work. No new weather in news and weather widget...no location when I open google in a browser. and no weather location in main widget...HELP!!!!

I had the same problem then I turned gps on and it fixed it

Two of my downloaded apps are more reliable on 2.2 than 2.1. Specifically:

I have a news widget that didn't always update per it's sync schedule before, but now it's updating flawlessly.

Also, I have a "silence ringer until move N yards" app that would lose GPS lock when the phone was idle, and now GPS stays correctly on while the app is accessing it.

In neither case has the app been updated -- just the OS.

sweeeet theres an app for flashlight that uses the leds. Nice! But handcent sms or regular sms is not working at all wtf

Gee, Verizon, thanks for the useless bloatware! VZ Navigator- as if Google Maps Nav wasn't enough. GMN is free, and very good. Now we also have VZ Nav, which costs $10/month to use. Why? Why force that on our phones when we have a better choice already there? I can understand having it in the marketplace, but to uninstall it, I gotta root and void my warranty? This is the only thing I'm not pleased with about the update, especially since I have to be careful not to check-mark the VZ box in location.

What do all of you think about this app?

Aren't the apps linked to your Google account? That's why when you uninstall an app it says "this application can be installed again to your phone at no charge"? Someone correct me if I'm wrong ...

I made this wonderful discovery thanks to others here on this forum. It's called appbrain! I just created an account and synced my apps to it. So hopefully if anything happens I can still get my apps back. :D

ok my phone is completely screwed after the update, freezes when trying to call or message or prety much anything. HELP

Hulu blocks mobile devices even with full flash :(

This is what I have to say about that. That and when I emailed them about a hulu app they have NO PLANS for an ANDROID APP! ONLY IPHONE, IPOD, OR IPAD!

_blowraspberry__by_noodi10.png

With froyo you can go on myspace and listen to streaming music in a way almost identical to a computer, which I have found impossible on any other phone I've used.
bitchin.

Anyone else notice you can now name the Gmail label shortcut? If you have multiple accounts instead of having two labels named inbox you can now have them say whatever you like. the Gmail unread count in the market is still OK though.

Gee, Verizon, thanks for the useless bloatware! VZ Navigator- as if Google Maps Nav wasn't enough. GMN is free, and very good. Now we also have VZ Nav, which costs $10/month to use. Why? Why force that on our phones when we have a better choice already there? I can understand having it in the marketplace, but to uninstall it, I gotta root and void my warranty? This is the only thing I'm not pleased with about the update, especially since I have to be careful not to check-mark the VZ box in location.

What do all of you think about this app?

Why force it on the phones? Your answer is already in bold - because it's $10/month extra. Same reason we now have Wireless hot spot - more money to Verizon.

You could try something like Launcher Pro that lets you "hide" the unwanted apps from the app drawer, but I believe the only way to uninstall it is to Root.

sweeeet theres an app for flashlight that uses the leds. Nice! But handcent sms or regular sms is not working at all wtf

Try restarting the phone? Both work for me fine ... but I did a factory reset.... Using Handcent SMS exclusively for SMS/MMS now.

Anyone else notice you can now name the Gmail label shortcut? If you have multiple accounts instead of having two labels named inbox you can now have them say whatever you like. the Gmail unread count in the market is still OK though.

I did see that and didn't get to play with it much, looks neat - I only use one Gmail account on the phone but I'm thinking about linking my other as well.

Back
Top Bottom