• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The little things...(2.2 Update addons/changes)

Yeah that was awesome. Couldn't believe 2.1 couldn't handle animated .gif's. My old Windows Mobile phone could. Probably singlehandedly the WeatherUnderground maps not working was my biggest complaint.

+ 2

May have skipped over some comments, quoting above.

But, my Facebook accessed by widget is different. Newsfeed won't load, and there is no camera button.

After entering the car dashboard, you can only exit one way. The "back" button or "home" button do not let you out.

First day after FroYo install. My Android System is using 95% of my time (20 hours) which has never been like that before. I have 2 hours of awake time and 20 hours of up time. Checked apps and something is sucking battery life big time.

I'm getting lost 3G signals and my phone was almost dead by 8 yesterday :(

Both of which never happened with 2.1.

It also died when I was out last night. Not good!

I don't know if this was a problem in 2.1 since I never tried it but let me try to paint a picture for you.

I'm running 2.2 (non root) and I had all of my homescreen's filled with widgets or programs. If I open up a folder that has a bunch of apps in and I hit the + button to add another app to that folder I'll get a message that tells me all the home screens are being used and that I can't add another app. However, if I have a screen that is not filled (even though it isn't the particular screen with the folder) it will let me add a program to folder I am trying to add it too.

I'm guessing this is a bug. I hope a fix comes soon cause it's pretty annoying.

"especially since I have to be careful not to check-mark the VZ box in location."

Why? Mine was check after I installed Froyo......should I uncheck it?

Has anyone noticed a changes in the way mail is handled? Mail used to get saved on the device for X amount of days. Now, it seems when I delete the message from the server it is automatically getting removed from the mail app. This was not the case before.

This happened on my device with 2.1. So it is nothing new.
I went into my AOL on my laptop, deleted about 30 messages and they were all removed from my phone.

It's better, but not totally fixed. When you view the full screen radar, animate it, the menu to return to normal has disappeared. Also you can't zoom out.

Love that we can now use this.

Are you using the mobile site or the full one? I use the full site and it works well. Crystal clear, zoom in/out using pinch or double tapping.

Also, hasn't been mentioned yet...

New dialpad
My dial pad looks the same..what's the difference?

As for the Bump Charge ( this is where you unplug and plug it in repeatedly. ) I personally don't recommend it. It is likely just a sign you are over charging and damaging the battery. Use the "Off-Charge" method only.
Can u pls explain what is BUMP and OFF, CHARGE?? Sorry for the noob question but I keep hearing references and have NO idea what they are..Thanks!

It is recommended to not use a car charger unless needed.
I'm screwed then bc my phone is constantly on the car charger...I never know when I'm going to be out of touch with a charger so keeping it as close to 100% is my goal :(

the camera app is way cool in froyo
Are you talking about the STOCK camera app? I see no difference in it...what's different?

The added "bloatware" apps aren't really using any processing power. After several days not a single one of them has managed to even clock 1 second of CPU time.

I recommend finding the actual problem and getting rid of it. You could use System panel to go through and check what all is using how much CPU time.
Without adding a 3rd party application, how can you find this information (i.e. The CPU time, what's running, etc) U mentioned System Panel but where is that??

Today I noticed that if someone with an upcoming birthday calls you (and if you have their b-day programmed into their contact info, of course! :p) it shows a little reminder in their Caller ID pic. My hubby called and it had this weird little icon (which I later realized was a cupcake w/ a candle, LOL) and said "6 days" and I'm like "6 days? WTH does that mean?!" Then I realized 6 days from today is his b-day. :)
OMG, my friend called me and I saw a scrolling screen at the bottom of the caller id pic and thought I was watching ESPN!!! :D I wonder if there's a way to turn that off..

Does anyone know if the battery % readings have to calibrate?

I'm running the HTC 1500mAH battery, and it seems pretty weird. If I'm playing around with something on the phone it sometimes drops quickly, and other times very slowly. For instance just browsing the market for a few minutes dropped 4%, but a 10 minute phone call didn't drop the % at all....

I'm planning on running it down to empty and charging again and seeing what happens, but I can't decide if battery life is worse, the same, or better than on 2.1 so far ...

Does anyone know if the battery % readings have to calibrate?

I'm running the HTC 1500mAH battery, and it seems pretty weird. If I'm playing around with something on the phone it sometimes drops quickly, and other times very slowly. For instance just browsing the market for a few minutes dropped 4%, but a 10 minute phone call didn't drop the % at all....

I'm planning on running it down to empty and charging again and seeing what happens, but I can't decide if battery life is worse, the same, or better than on 2.1 so far ...

So far my battery life is terrible running 2.2. I had a 4% drop just reading facebook this AM after bump charging... Yikes! Lots of running services out there...

Search in the Market "Android Agenda Widget"
I thought the same thing when I first say that amazing widget :D
Awesome!! Found it! NOw trying to figure out how to personalize it...geesh, sometimes too many choices is NOT a good thing :D

I'm having a problem with my screen rotation, it seems extra sensitive for one, and sometimes it either gets stuck in landscape or starts in landscape regardless of phone position. Anybody else have this problem or know a fix for it?

On (at least) the compact phone keyboard they've moved the settings/voice button that I always hit accidentally. I was really happy about that until I saw they moved it to the right side where the *very* useful punctuation keys were. Horrible trade in my opinion.

I'm happy that I can finally delete multiple words at once in the user dictionary but I was hoping I'd get the ability to use special characters in the user dictionary like I could on my Eris.

Definitely having trouble using GPS now too. I was able to use it just fine yesterday but now it takes several minutes to find my location if it finds it at all.

Overall? I could've done without this update. Didn't need any of these new apps (and I *hate* that they're forced on me), didn't need the keyboard changed or my GPS to be screwed... not impressed or happy with this one.

Since I updated with the official OTA this morning, some of my music is now not being recognized by the stock music player the way it was before. Several albums - all of them regular CDs I bought and ripped to my computer and then put on the phone - that used to have the artist names now say "Unknown Artist" and are all lumped together in the same Unknown Artist folder.

Anyone else notice this? Any way to fix it?

bump. got the update this morning, everything seems fine except this.

I didn't have time to read all the posts here so if this is a dup then forgive me.

The 2.2 update appears to fix the screen grounding flaw!!!! Not that it was a major issue but I'm surprised a software fix worked.

Hey, I'm sitting here with my phone on my desk 'one-fingering' the screen reading your post. Wow it is fixed. I'm not having to hold it in my hand. Wow.

Hey, I'm sitting here with my phone on my desk 'one-fingering' the screen reading your post. Wow it is fixed. I'm not having to hold it in my hand. Wow.

Please explain what was the original issue? Im not sure i even had it, or noticed it

Anybody had a problem with their phone crashing since the update? Probably 5-6 times since I got the update 3 days ago I have tried to unlock my phone and the screen will remain totally blank. The only way I have been able to get it functioning again is to pull the battery.

Back
Top Bottom