• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The official 'codenames' for Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL!

steve

Developer
Administrator
Apr 19, 2011
York, PA
codeversed.com
upload_2017-10-9_11-40-33.png

• walleye (Pixel 2)
  • taimen (Pixel 2 XL)
source: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1727131?hl=en

Reactions: nurersafabd
So this is confirmation of what was leaked months ago. Mind you, the leaks were pretty accurate and comprehensive for these devices.
Shame about the third one (muskie was it?) - a smaller 2:1 display device would have been my first choice.

I thought I remembered reading muskie was the Pixel 2 XL and then later dismissed. I know these codenames were floating around but I don't think anyone had 100% confidence.

Upvote 0
Muskie was originally going to be the Pixel 2 XL, but Google decided to go with the even bigger Taimen made by LG. I wonder if Muskie was basically a bigger version of the HTC-made Walleye, but then Google decided they needed slim bezels on at least one model, so they called up LG.
Possible, but I do recall one leaked device profile which showed a 5.5" 2:1 display for the Muskie. Of course that may not have been accurate, but the Walleye one that was leaked around the same time turned out to be correct.

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones