• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "OMG I just ['got updated' OR 'updated'] to Cupcake" Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Not a dumb question) Just means that you have a feature on your account. SOC can be text messaging, caller tunes, or in this case the G1 feature. Only customers who are currently on G1 plan will get the update.

So what if we have a G1 without a data plan (like me and I'm sure others do), will we not recieve the update? And, I do have a text message bundle. will that help/hurt at all? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
So how would one go about uploading this file when they update?

If there is someone on the forums who is one of the lucky few, send me the zip... I have a server with 1000 TB of bandwidth so I can host it there...
I don't think that's possible. The file downloads in the background and the message pops up to ask you if you want to install now.
It might be possible for root users, but if you have root, you don't get OTA updates anymore.

Upvote 0
I don't think that's possible. The file downloads in the background and the message pops up to ask you if you want to install now.
It might be possible for root users, but if you have root, you don't get OTA updates anymore.

1. If you're connected to WiFi will it pull it from the internet?
2. Does it actually push the data to the phone, or does it tell the phone "Hey, go get this!"

If it causes the phone to retrieve the update, then I assume that using a transparent proxy, or just sniffing the interface on the firewall would reveal where it's actually being pulled from. You could then manually grab it and install it.

I was on jf1.5, and reverted back to stock rc33 yesterday in anticipation of the update. So I'm chomping at the bit too. After a few days of having 1.5 it didn't seem like a big deal.. but now that I'm back to rc33, it seems to suck even more. :(

Upvote 0
Why would you want to have a G1 with no data plan?

To save $25+ per month, adding up to a nice $300 a year in savings, or even more with unlocked G1 on another network with no unlimited data plan... If one has a reliable WiFi at home/work, it is quite possible to use G1 on those networks for all of its advantages, but save big on mobile data....

LEM.

P.S. Still Quiet here in NYC...

Upvote 0
To save $25+ per month, adding up to a nice $300 a year in savings, or even more with unlocked G1 on another network with no unlimited data plan... If one has a reliable WiFi at home/work, it is quite possible to use G1 on those networks for all of its advantages, but save big on mobile data....

LEM.

P.S. Still Quiet here in NYC...
With that said I think you are getting away from the whole purpose of a "mobile" phone and that is the purpose of it going and being useful every where, not just home and work. If you are going to have WiFi as your means for data usage then you might as well buy a netbook and be done with it. I'm gonna end this here simply because I don't want this thread to go off topic. BTW, still haven't heard anything in the Philadelphia area.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, first time poster, long time reader.

I was able to get cupcake OTA on my phone by calling customer care. The first people I talked to weren't able to do it, but they said that the next tier of cc could help me (forgot what they called it LOL). When I finally got through to the next level the rep reluctantly told me that they are able to force it through for regular accounts, but not flex pay accounts (dont know why, didnt ask). Anyways, after the call I waited about 20 minutes and the update notification popped up!

I'm in the LA area.

Upvote 0

I was able to get cupcake OTA on my phone by calling customer care. The first people I talked to weren't able to do it, but they said that the next tier of cc could help me (forgot what they called it LOL). When I finally got through to the next level the rep reluctantly told me that they are able to force it through for regular accounts, but not flex pay accounts (dont know why, didnt ask). Anyways, after the call I waited about 20 minutes and the update notification popped up!

I'm in the LA area.

show us proof.

Upvote 0

I'm in the LA area.

Can you post the Build Number? Its under settings then About phone.

Upvote 0

I'm in the LA area.

that sucks if that is true, im on flex pay :(
I got the RC33 update OTA though when it came out so i dont see why I would not receive the cupcake update as well. im tempted to call and see though now

Upvote 0

I'm in the LA area.

I contacted the second tier of t-mo and they were pleasant and informative, and spoke on the roll out dates and all, and I feel they would have obliged if possible. They told me that the manufacturer was responsible for the ota update and not t-mo directly. i felt confident that she was honest and all........ So.....bull**** and still waiting here !!

Upvote 0
umm its just a bunch of letters? This is what it says, exactly:

kila-user 1.5 plat 154585
ota-rel-keys,release-keys

Hey is there any way you could do this?

install "Log Collector" from the market. This will dump your system logs and send them to your email.
Once you've sent them off, retrieve/copy them and post the log IN THIS THREAD.

It would be huge in the fact that the rest of us would be able to download cupcake.

Upvote 0

Screenshots or it didn't happen

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones