• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories The Seidio Innotraveler Car Kit is BAR NONE better than the HTC version

The Seidio kit comes with a 4m tab.

Next...

The Seidio kit is MADE for the any windshield. I don't know what the hell HTC was thinking making the official version with a fixed 3-inch neck. It practically unusable on most windshields, as it was on mine. The Seidio version fixed on the windshield is well within arms reach. Plus it has a neck extender as shown in the photos.

As far as being worried about it being secured in landscape mode -- don't. The phone snaps into the charge port and its rock solid when the vehicle's in motion.

Trust me, there is no comparison.

Thanks! Now the only problem :( Back ordered on the site...

I know you just answered this question but .... Im about to buy a car dock, and debating between this and the HTC dock. I could care less if it goes into car mode, or whatever. My concern is, it will be in landscape 100% of the time. Im not the easiest, or slowest driver. If I go whipping around a corner, or sliding through trails off road in my jeep ..... will it stay put in landscape? Also, is this ONLY windshield mountable? I seen HTC has a 3m tab deal to attach it to the dash also. My windshield is quite a stretch to reach from my drivers seat. The security of the phone in landscape will ultimately be my deciding factor on docks, so a very honest opinion would be appreciated. Thanks!

Its secure in ladscape but it is useless in phone mode.u wont be able to scroll threw ur contacts without breaking ur neck.

Its secure in ladscape but it is useless in phone mode.u wont be able to scroll threw ur contacts without breaking ur neck.

Something you shouldn't be doing while driving regardless. Use your common sense and use bluetooth while driving. It only takes a second with your eyes off the wheel for you or someone else to get hurt.

Thats the only fall back? I cant scroll contacts in landscape? Aside from the fact it dosent go into car mode automatically, which dosent bother me. I seen with the HTC car dock, it locks the volume at 3/4 for music? I assume thats not the case with the Seidio because it dosent send it to car mode? Correct me if Im wrong, plz. Ill be using it for music & navigation WAY more than dialing out. Plus the voice thing for txting is pretty amazing imo. I had it spell out "supercalifragilisticexpealadocious" lol was impressed! Even with the accent I have, first try.

Hmmm....that sort of makes me wonder what the Evo uses to sense that its been put into a car dock (at least one that supports automatic detection). Is there a proximity hall effect sensor at a certain location to detect a magnet? Is there a pull-up or pull-down on one or both of the data lines? If its not too complicated of a detection, then maybe the Seidio one can be modified to auto-detect.

Thats the only fall back? I cant scroll contacts in landscape? Aside from the fact it dosent go into car mode automatically, which dosent bother me. I seen with the HTC car dock, it locks the volume at 3/4 for music? I assume thats not the case with the Seidio because it dosent send it to car mode? Correct me if Im wrong, plz. Ill be using it for music & navigation WAY more than dialing out. Plus the voice thing for txting is pretty amazing imo. I had it spell out "supercalifragilisticexpealadocious" lol was impressed! Even with the accent I have, first try.

to put the phone in car panel mode automatically the phone needs to see pin 4 of the charging port grounded (if i remember correctly its pin 4, if not some other pin is grounded). car panel has nothing to do with the volume lock while docked. with the froyo update when it see's this pin for car dock grounded it locks the volume (not sure at what percentage)

so with this dock you will not get the volume lock or auto start car panel. using car panel will not cause the volume lock.

Betting its shorting communication pins for that signal since the stock dock can't sync or use the SD remotely. When you drop the phone in the HTC dock it turns on the screen, fires up the car dock (which overrides the lock screen automatically) and puts the brightness to auto.

One reason the OEM car dock has a leg up on the Seidio dock is that the charger connects to the base of the holder, not the actual holder itself, which means you can rotate the holder however you want without limitation from the charger.

One reason the OEM car dock has a leg up on the Seidio dock is that the charger connects to the base of the holder, not the actual holder itself, which means you can rotate the holder however you want without limitation from the charger.

Excactly, and you don't have a HUGE junk of plastic and charging cable hanging from your windshield or on your dash, these two cosmetic features alone make the HTC more attractive.

Just not true. The charger provided by Seidio provides plenty of wiggle room no matter what angle you have the kit it.

Just not true. The charger provided by Seidio provides plenty of wiggle room no matter what angle you have the kit it.

My point was that the charger connects to the holder, not to the base like the OEM one does. in essence, there's no huge difference from connecting to the dock or directly to the phone.

My point was that the charger connects to the holder, not to the base like the OEM one does. in essence, there's no huge difference from connecting to the dock or directly to the phone.
Right, I understand what you're saying. But my point is I don't understand how you can laud a feature that in essence isn't a feature to begin with? The guy said the official model doesn't have chords hanging all over the place like the reason for this is due to the charging port being in the base of the car kit, when in actuality, the fact the OEM doesn't have chords hanging from it is because the neck is too short, making it practically unusable on the windshield. Cause if it were useable on the windshield, you'd have a chord hanging down from your windshield going down to the charger just like every other windshield mounted device.

Not to mention, on the Seidio kit, the charging input doesn't ever touch the EVO. Don't really see how its that much different than the OEM.

Right, I understand what you're saying. But my point is I don't understand how you can laud a feature that in essence isn't a feature to begin with? The guy said the official model doesn't have chords hanging all over the place like the reason for this is due to the charging port being in the base of the car kit, when in actuality, the fact the OEM doesn't have chords hanging from it is because the neck is too short, making it practically unusable on the windshield. Cause if it were useable on the windshield, you'd have a chord hanging down from your windshield going down to the charger just like every other windshield mounted device.

Not to mention, on the Seidio kit, the charging input doesn't ever touch the EVO. Don't really see how its that much different than the OEM.

Here's the point I was trying to make.

When you connect to the dock on the Seidio version, the charging chord is connected to the holder, which means when you rotate the phone, no matter what direction, the chord will also get in the way of rotating while it's in the actual dock.

On the OEM version, when you place the phone in the dock, you can rotate the phone whichever way and the chord will not get in the way of that at all because the charger connects through the base. Yes, there will still be a chord there, but it doesn't prevent you from rotating the phone whichever way you need to rotate it. I can't really comment on the windshield thing because it's illegal in California, unless it's close to the bottom left or bottom right of the windshield.

That's the only difference. And, in my opinion, the freedom to rotate the phone without the charging chord get in the way is a definite plus.

It's fine that you're happy with Seidio dock and that's great that it works for your situation. My main point was that the OEM dock isn't as "bad" or "overpriced" as many seem to think.

Have you ever used the stock one or are you just talking rubbish for fun? Its worked just fine in my BMW, my girlfriends Lancer and 5 rental cars in both portrait and landscape mode.

And the cord doesnt hang from the part holding the phone, it hangs from the suction cup. Meaning when you re-orient the phone the cord doesnt move. Its a simple concept that some people are having a hard time grasping.

As for the neck being "short" to some that may actually be a feature. For me it is. Since its a thin METAL neck that is only a few inches long and the base/holder are more compact it takes up a lot less space in my luggage, which is a huge feature.

Have you ever used the stock one or are you just talking rubbish for fun? Its worked just fine in my BMW, my girlfriends Lancer and 5 rental cars in both portrait and landscape mode.

And the cord doesn't hang from the part holding the phone, it hangs from the suction cup. Meaning when you re-orient the phone the cord doesn't move. Its a simple concept that some people are having a hard time grasping.

As for the neck being "short" to some that may actually be a feature. For me it is. Since its a thin METAL neck that is only a few inches long and the base/holder are more compact it takes up a lot less space in my luggage, which is a huge feature.

Exactly , also if you want to 'hardwire' the charging cable behind the dash and only have minimal cable showing to plug into the base it can be done, seidos has to be alot longer cable , ugly in a nice car.

I know this thread is a couple weeks dead now, but.... Just got my Seidio car dock the other day, and its great! Holds the phone tight with or without a case, 3M (or whatever it is) and the suction mount alone both work beyond my expectations! Awesome buy

+1

I got mine 2 weeks ago and here what I notice. It is working in both portrait and landscape also it does lunch the car kit panel application automatically when you put it to the cradle. BUT here is what happen after about 20-25 min my EVO is starts flashing green/orange lights and charge indicator is disappear from the battery.Usually this mean that phone is getting overheating.
I never get overheating lights when I charge my phone normally only when is on this car kit. I spoke to seidio Tech support and they said that this is the 1st time that somebody reporting this issue. He told me to open a RMA for replacement. By the way I do have also a Innocase™ II Surface - Black on the phone.
Does anyone experiencing this or it is mine car kit?

Why has nobody bother to take pictures of this dock in their cars yet???? I want to see what it looks like inside a car, and with the phone in it. :(

I got mine 2 weeks ago and here what I notice. It is working in both portrait and landscape also it does lunch the car kit panel application automatically when you put it to the cradle. BUT here is what happen after about 20-25 min my EVO is starts flashing green/orange lights and charge indicator is disappear from the battery.Usually this mean that phone is getting overheating.
I never get overheating lights when I charge my phone normally only when is on this car kit. I spoke to seidio Tech support and they said that this is the 1st time that somebody reporting this issue. He told me to open a RMA for replacement. By the way I do have also a Innocase

I just got one the other day and am having problems with it. The phone starts flipping through screens after about 5 minutes in the cradle, it seriously overheats the phone and once that happens the phone is stuck in car mode and has to be rebooted. I like the cradle and having the phone in it and not sliding around the car but this thing is pretty buggy...

Back
Top Bottom