• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Tablet Tavern

What distro of Linux were you running? With Mint 17 cinnamon, I get maybe 5 updates a week and I only have to reboot when the kernel updates which is maybe 4 times a year.

Just for argument's sake, I pulled my update logs for 2014 from one of my servers running CentOS 6.5 which is based on Red Hat. For the year there were a total of 426 updates including 10 kernel updates. This averages out to about 8 updates per week with a reboot for the kernel less than once a month. Mind you, a reboot is only necessary if you want to use the new kernel. You don't have to stop using a working kernel if you don't want to.

What distro of Linux were you running? With Mint 17 cinnamon, I get maybe 5 updates a week and I only have to reboot when the kernel updates which is maybe 4 times a year.
I was running on Ubuntu Studio. Ran on xfce I think, oh did I love that interface though. That's something I miss about Linux.

Turns out it was just my google now launcher that was updated. Now i have the ugly white app drawer background.
I have an app, Solo launcher, get's me to completely customize the app drawer. I think the pure Android app drawer is completely ugly. I don't find it user friendly either. Swiping to the right to get more app? Not me, I have an endless scroll vertically to go through apps, and swiping right gets me to the widgets. Also, that black background, I hate it! So I have it transparent to my home screen, it's quite beautiful with my Sony Experia Z wallpaper. Also, the app drawer button is a picture of a penguin, not a bunch of dots. Haha, love how I can make Android mine!

Well, managed to get CM12 installed, after much trial and error... the gapps never did install correctly, but I got enough in there for the machine to work.

So my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is now running Android 5 (AKA Lollipop).

I have set up a profile for the grandbabies to use, which will free my wife's phone from being the default entertainment device.

If you feel like putting up with TouchWiz, sure. I have a Note 10.1 and as OB said, the display is unrivaled, bit TW does impost a good deal of overhead.

I was abducted by aliens and subjected to invasive medical procedures to harvest my DNA to develop mutant zombie hybrid clones .... so, nothing new. :D

I like Otterbox for protecting my devices (though it often doubles the thickness and weight of said devices), and the Otterbox for the Galaxy Tab 4 7" is typical of their offerings. However, I found that Otterbox has an accessory carrier to go with that case which has a hand-strap, an S-hook, and a leg-strap, the latter which was very useful for reading while flying... It was comfortable and remained in position throughout the flight (as long as I remained seated).

Never been a big fan of Otterbox cases. They remind me of the shop-hardened cases Motorola puts on their bar code scanners we use in the warehouse.

Having had to pay for screen replacement on my S3, I'm happy to have the free Otterbox the repair center gave me for having to wait an extra 2 hours on the repair.

Back
Top Bottom