• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Things That Make You Feel Old

rootabaga

Android Expert
Aug 11, 2014
Crazyville, CA
There comes a time, probably in middle age in most cases, when some little thing triggers a memory and then it dawns on you how long ago it was when that memory was formed. Then suddenly you realize how old you are. ;)

That’s what this thread is all about...

One of those hit me earlier when I saw a news item:
Today marks the twentieth anniversary of the series finale of “Seinfeld.”

There was talk a year ago or so about tearing down a city owned concert hall and building a new one. I well remember when they tore down the old one to build this new one. What a waste I'm thinking. Then it dawns on me. That building is far from new. 55+ years old or more now.
Seems like yesterday when it hosted it's first show.
I don't feel old.. I AM old. :)

Upvote 0
SO.
MANY.
THINGS.

The 30th anniversary of Back to the Future

30th anniversary of TRON

50th anniversary of Star Trek

7 years since the last shuttle flight ... I watched the Enterprise launch off the 747 live in technicolor sitting on grandpa's lap.

And that damn anniversary of my birth everyone else is so excited to remind me of.
:(

Upvote 0
There are a lot of reminders, but the very first thing that pointedly indicated that age was creeping up on me was a buddy and I were at a table in a little bar one day after work and the waitress called me "sir". Funny how the little, seemingly insignificant things stick with you so clearly through the years.

Upvote 0
upload_2018-5-19_11-31-10.png

Upvote 0
Things that make me feel old:

- The ludicrous attitude/assumption that people my age are clueless, hapless morons whose 7-year-old grandchild has to set up, and then show them how to use, devices like smartphones, tablets, etc.

- Remembering the original versions of re-made TV shows, like MacGyver.

- Being eligible for [some] 'senior discounts.'

Upvote 0
Seeming familiar, I read through this thread, to see that I have responded to it in the past. :)

Now forced to check the box 65 and older.

Listening to oldies radio and remembering the title and most of the lyrics but no clue to the artist.

Remembering how sorry I felt for my father when he was my age.

My great granddaughter will start first grade this year.

Repeating myself often. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones